PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a Graco Pack n Play as a bassinet substitute?

skp
04-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Has anyone out there used a pack n' play with bassinet for the first couple of months after baby's born? We've registered for a Graco one with the 3/4 size bassinet(seemed sturdier, less saggy than the full-size ones). My only concern is that it may not be meant for long-term overnight sleeping.

Thanks in advance!

Ti Lung
04-13-2003, 04:50 PM
If you just surf around in this section alone, you will see lots of comments about using the PNP as a bassinet (I plan on using it as a bassinet myself). Realize however, that the PNP bassinet is NOT meant for long term use because it can accommodate babies up to only 15 pounds (for the bassinet portion). If you plan on putting your baby in a bassinet to sleep during the day for longer than it takes her to grow to 15 pounds, then you may need to look into alternative bassinets. I don't know what a standalone, standard bassinet can hold. Long term overnight sleeping is best accomplished in a crib. It's the safest for a baby, even from the start. Good luck!

lukkykatt
04-13-2003, 08:11 PM
I had a bassinet, and had to stop using it after a few weeks because DS rolled around alot in his sleep. Because the bassinet was more narrow, it made me nervous because his face was fairly close to the side. So I switched to the PNP, which I had never intended to use as a bassinet, and it worked great.

For the first few months, there will probably not be much long term overnight sleeping anyway (lol!), so you should not have any problems. I think I kept DS in the PNP bassinet until he turned 4 months. Mine was the full sized one, which was great because he was such a "roller".

mharling
04-14-2003, 10:46 AM
We're using the PNP bassinet during the day and have not had any problems; he sleeps quite well in it. At night he's in a cradle in our room. We also use the PNP for the downstairs changing table as the bedrooms are upstairs. This is a must-have in our book!!

Mary
Mommy to Lane 4/6/03

Marisa6826
04-14-2003, 11:26 AM
I've had Sophie in the PnP since I brought her home from the hospital four months ago. We DO have a crib for her in her room, but she's still in our bedroom until she can turn over (or until I have the guts to move her - whichever comes first!).

I asked the pediatrician about it last week and he said as long as she can't peek over the edge to "look" for us, it's OK.

Ours is 3/4, as well.

-m

madelinesmom
04-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Madeline's Mom

We got a full sized Pack N Play and used it until Madeline started sleeping all night at about 7 weeks, then we moved her to her bed in her room. The best thing about the Pack N Play is being able to take it on trips and use it for a bed, it is really compact and easy to put up and take down. We never had a bassinet and we really think we made the right choice.

skp
04-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks to all for your input - definitely puts my mind at ease about using the pnp bassinet for the first couple of months before moving to a crib.

Thanks again from this first time mom-to-be (due in July).