PDA

View Full Version : Philips Baby Monitors

wiggles mom
04-16-2003, 10:28 PM
All I have to say is WOW!!! I am looking forward to my first good night's sleep in months! We had the Fisher-Price Soothing Dreams monitor (actually 3 of them) and they all had tons of static and popping all night long. I received the 5th edition in the mail, ordered the Philips baby monitor that receives such a good rating from Mr. and Mrs. Fields, and I LOVE IT!! It arrived at my door in less than 24 hours with no express shipping or anything! So happy! I'd highly recommend it!

cuca_
04-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Could you tell me a little more about the Philips baby monitor? (I don't have the latest edition of the book). I am trying to decide which monitor to get and had been thinking of the FP 900 mhz or the Sony baby monitor. I'm leaning more towards the Sony right now. I am however open to other recommendations since I have no experience with monitors.

TIA!

heidi_timms
04-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Yes, I would like to hear about the Phillips! We were looking into the Sony monitor after reading some bad reviews for the FP monitors. I want something static-free!

thanks!

egoldber
04-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Monitors are very much trial and error. What works for one may not work for someone else. I have had three. The First Years Crisp&Clear (ha!) which was mainly clear, but had bursts of static that made it unusable on a regular basis for us. I replaced it with a FP Vibrating monitor that I adore. I tried the Sony and promptly returned it, because it was WAAYYY worse static-wise than even the First Years one. This was our experience. You need to experiment and find what works for you.

HTH,

cuca_
04-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the information Beth. Is the vibrating monitor the same as the FP 900 mhz? Does it have rechargeable batteries? If not, how long do the regular batteries last? TIA for your help!!

egoldber
04-17-2003, 12:25 PM
FP has two 900 mhz monitors. Mine used to be called "the Vibrating monitor", and is now called something else, but I forget what. Sorry! But it still has the vibrate feature.

In newer models in stores, the parent unit uses regular AA or AAA batteries. Mine has a re-chargeable battery. After a year, the battery stopped holding a charge. After searching in vain for a replacement battery, we called FP. That battery is no longer made, so they replaced our monitor for free. (I did have to pay a few $$ to ship it back.) It took about 4 weeks to get the new one. Fortunately I still had the old First Years monitor. My replacement was one of the older style ones with the rechargeable battery, so I guess in a year I will have to get another new one from FP!!

HTH,

wiggles mom
04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
After the first night using the Philips monitor, I am happy to say that I am still pleased with it! Depending on how you set the volume, you can hear your baby turning over in bed (if that is something you choose to do!). We had no static. It is a 900 mHz model and doesn't interfere with our cordless phones (all phones differ, however). The parent unit sits in a base which runs off of electrical power, but the base is also a recharger for the parent unit so it can run on batteries (nickel cadmium batteries that are provided for you when you order the unit). The unit in the baby's room can run on AA batteries or on electric. There are several models available, and each one has their own features. The one we got even tells the temperature in the baby's bedroom! check out their website (www.consumer.philips.com) and see what they have to offer. I have been very impressed!

cvharris
04-19-2003, 12:58 PM
They also have these monitors at sears.com, so they might have them at the Sears stores, too. I haven't checked yet, but I'd like to see how they work before buying.

Marisa6826
04-19-2003, 10:38 PM
Went to Sears in Livingston, NJ today.

Not only was the place an absolute pit, they didn't have the monitor :(

I'm thinking that I'm just going to have to order it and hope I like it...

-m

JerseyMom
04-20-2003, 08:39 AM
That Livingston, NJ Sears is a pit! The store is not only dirty but the service is pathetic. Last time I went there was Christmas and I was given the wrong product that I had ordered online a week earlier. It took forever to get an exchange. I will go out of my way to avoid this store, which is a shame since Sears can be a great value.

Marisa6826
04-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Is the one in Willowbrook any better?

I outright REFUSE to go to the Newport Mall even though it's less than a mile from my apartment...

-m

Xariklia
04-20-2003, 09:39 PM
are you talking about the calming vibrations monitor from fp? where you put the monitor on the crib rail and vibrates? that's what i registered for and was wondering if it was a good choice.

egoldber
04-20-2003, 09:45 PM
This is the monitor I have. http://www.fisher-price.com/us/babygear/product.asp?id=17605&c=bgm It vibrates like a pager vibrates. That way you can tell if your baby is awake even if you can't see the lights.

HTH,