PDA

View Full Version : Videos for signing with your baby?

egoldber
04-18-2003, 10:02 PM
I have done some signing with Sarah in the past, but I don't have any other resources. The early intervention therapist recommended teaching Sarah more signs as a way to communicate better (and reduce both our frustrations) until we overcame her language issues. I thought that some signing videos might be a fun way for me to help teach her more signs.

I saw that someone here recommended the Signing Time videos and those seem good, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some other things for me to look at too?

Thanks!

August Mom
04-22-2003, 02:32 PM
I was hoping that someone would respond who had tried videos other than Signing Times. But, no one has so I'll throw another video that I'm considering out there: Baby See 'N Sign. It's received pretty good reviews on Amazon but I'm not sure how entertaining it will be if that's what you're looking for. It received Parenting Magazine's Video of the Year Award in 2002 if that means anything to you. Here's a link to the video: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971366306/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/103-4445879-6678209?v=glance&s=video

egoldber
04-30-2003, 01:05 PM
I ordered the Signing Time videos last week and they came yesterday. DD and I watched the first one this morning. She really enjoyed it and actually picked up a couple signs during the video! Of course, these were really basic signs that I had been using with her forever (eat and water). I think that seeing the video and watching all the children on the video sign really helped it click for her.

For those unfamiliar with Signing Time, they are a series of videos produced by a woman whose first child was born deaf. She was a musician and decided to use her musical talents to write songs and produce videos to help children learn to sign. The videos mainly feature her daughter Leah (maybe age 4 or 5 in the video) and her cousin Alex (maybe age 2 1/2 in the video) doing signs as well as lots of images of other kids signing. There are 3 videos and if you buy off their website, you get 3 videos for the price of 2. I think it was well worth it.

HTH,

atlbaby
04-30-2003, 01:54 PM
I'd like to look into ordering the Signing Time videos, what is the website? I would love it if we could cut down on BOTH of our frustrations! I can't really control *which* words Arielle learns to say (while they are all cute, saying "eye" all day doesn't really help convey her wants/needs much!:) ). Are the three videos in sequence or stand alones? Did the instructor in the signing class you took recommend them (or others)? Btw, I'm not sure if you saw my reply to you in the "what classes do you take..." thread--I'd misread you at first and thought you took a siNGing class! Hee hee. But now I'm more awake, and I think a signing video would be great. I'll be interested to hear how Sarah does after seeing the video(s) a bunch of times!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

egoldber
04-30-2003, 04:09 PM
LOL!! I did see your reply. Too funny!

No, it was someone on this board that recommended them. You don't need all the videos, they are stand alone. The one we saw today was "My First Signs". The website is signingtime.com. I would recommend starting with the first, since it has the basic signs that most people find most useful.

For just starting out, you may also want to check out Garcia's Signing With Your Baby. This is a book and video set. These are usually available at local libraries so I wouldn't buy it, since it is pretty expensive.

HTH,

IansMom04
04-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi
The only signing video we have is called Talking hands. My son loves it. We got it from the library so often that I finally ordered my own copy. He is 2 now, and still watches it. The signs are great and very easy to learn.

I haven't heard of any of the other videos..

Chantal

houseof3boys
05-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Don't know about any video recommendations for you but thought I would mention that our hospital has a program (free!) that teaches all babies to sign. You may want to check around at your hospitals and see if they offer the program and they could also give you some video recommendations for practice with Sarah.

daisymommy
05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
I have long been interested in teaching Josh to sign, after a little girl I babysat knew over 20 words at 9 months! It wa swonderful to know she wanted juice, was hungry, wet, sad, wnated to be held, etc. I am going to buy the "Sign With Your Baby" Complete Learning Kit by Joseph Garcia:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0966836707/ref=cm_wl_ovu-pg.1-pos.2/104-5163728-2262346?v=glance&coliid=I2PIF6G8Z66R0W&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It has a instruction manual for parents, video to watch with your baby, and quick reference pocket flash cards (so you don't have to keep going through the book to remmeber what the sign for something was). Aparently the author is an teacher at a famous school for deaf children and their parents, to educate the parents how to teach their children signing.

egoldber
05-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Amy, if you are serious about signing, I would REALLY recommend the Signing Time videos. Sarah loves them. And she has picked up SEVERAL signs since buying the videos. The Garcia video is for the parents. The Signing Time video is for kids. She really enjoys it and can start to do the signs almost IMMEDIATELY after seeing the other kids on the video do them (of course, Sarah is much older). Even signs that I had been working with her for MONTHS, the videos have really helped.

HTH,

daisymommy
05-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Wow, I didn't know that! Good to know considering the Signing Times videos are less expensive!

egoldber
05-03-2003, 01:09 PM
I borrowed the Garcia package from a friend. While it was worth watching, I thought that the video and book were both aimed at convincing you that signing was worthwhile. At the end he teaches about 50 signs, mostly the same signs that are taught in the Signing Time videos. FYI, the Fairfax County library system has them, so yours probably does too.

I took a class locally with this group: www.signingwithkids.com

It might be a bit far for you, since most of the classes are in the Annandale and Tysons area. The woman who founded the business was the college roommate of one of the moms in my playgroup, so a bunch of us took classes from her. The class was fun, but I would look at it more as a mom and baby activity. But we learned a lot of cute, simple songs to sign to. Sarah is still very fond of those songs. She has classes for infants 7-13 months and then for younger toddlers. The summer session starts the first week of June, and sign ups are going on now. We will be taking the Intermediate class that is Tuesdays at 9:45 in Annandale.