PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw Zooper Peas & Carrots live-choosing Fish. Price or BabyTrend

Hannaheser
04-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Well, after becoming interested in the Zooper Peas and Carrots while pregnant with Maya, we finally made a journey off an hour away to go LOOK at one with my 5 month old in tow. (For those in the San Francisco Bay Area- Talbot's Toyland in downtown San Mateo is the only place I ever found that has them, for $180 I believe, yipes.).

My conclusions:

1) It does seem very sturdily built, and I think would last well, nice to see quality.
2) Tray seems VERY far away if you have a petite child, which I do. It might be farther than the Chicco, I think.
3) There appear to be a fair number of seams in the vinyl that could still make cleaning a pain, though less so perhaps than the Mamma or Pappa.
4) (a silly style note) I actually found the color scheme a bit drab, as opposed to "euro-chic". It's black leather-looking, with grey/silver plastic or dark dark sky blue with grey.

I think I will be going with either the Deluxe Fisher Price Healthy Care from Target (vinyl seat- which I want) ($69.99) or the new version of the Baby Trend once it comes out supposedly end of May (also vinyl seat, which I want).

It's funny, I was all set to get a "top of the line" high chair, but none seem to be appropriately designed and/or sized for my child!

mam615
04-28-2003, 12:57 PM
I agree -- when I finally saw the P&C in person (at Albee's in NYC), I was underwhelmed. Not that I'm a slave to fashion, but the color scheme WAS drab. I mean, I get a little tired of choosing between a neutral blue and Disney babies, but black and grey just seemed a little too blah. I went with the Prima Pappa and have been happy. (Yet another item in the all-too-familiar navy blue and white check pattern!)

nofeea
04-28-2003, 03:36 PM
I've been checking out the chairs at Albees also. (Had to go elsewhere to look at the FP Healthy Care, though.) I've been agonizing over the Pappa vs. Healthy Care now that people keep saying how much better the babies fit in them. (My baby is 5 mos. also) How are you liking your Pappa? Are you using it with the tray yet? Any cleaning problems? Any input would be great...Thanks!

casey118
04-28-2003, 11:40 PM
I took my 5 month old son to BRU to try out the high chairs. He sits lower and farther from the tray in the Pappa than in the FP Healthy Care, but overall I liked the Pappa much better. I figure that he can sit on a towel until he is taller. He probably won't ever be big enough to close the gap, but I am going to use a Bjorn bib with the catch-all and hopefully that will work. I went with the Pappa mostly because I found the FP tray very difficult to use, particularly with Jack in one arm while trying to get the tray off with the other hand. I also like that the Pappa can be folded up and stand on its own so I can fit it in my closet when needed. Lastly, to me the FP just didn't feel that sturdy. So far no cleaning problems, but feeding time hasn't gotten that messy yet. My next favorite chair was the Chicco, but I didn't like the bar on the bottom of the tray because then I could never set the tray flat on the counter, and I really like the removable dinner tray on the Pappa and FP. Good luck!

Kimberly

jlazx2
04-29-2003, 12:36 PM
what's the new version of the baby trend going to be like?

nofeea
04-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks- I think I've been leaning towards the Pappa but I needed some encouragement! (I also found the FP tray hard to do while holding DD)

mam615
04-29-2003, 06:14 PM
I totally agree with everything Kimberly said. I've been using a towel under DD's tush and the Pappa works just fine.

Hannaheser
05-01-2003, 08:28 PM
I posted this on the Baby Trend string, but here's what I found out about the new version:

PASTED FROM MY OTHER POST:
I have a 5 month old baby, and delayed choosing our high chair. I researched it a ton before Maya was born, and concluded that the Baby Trend High Chair was potentially good, but I didn't want cloth. I was also intrigued by the Zooper Peas and Carrots, but haven't had time to schlep to the one store I could find for hours away that HAS one to look at.

I just called Baby Trend, and..............The reason BabiesRUs shows it being discontinued is Baby Trend is updating the chair.

The new improved chair will have:

VINYL COVER OPTION
The new versions will have one choice that is, in fact, a vinyl cover, not cloth, which was one thing I really preferred. It will be 8665, "Taylor Square", and is white/black. The cover is a white backgrand with plaid of khaki and black squares. There will also still be the cloth options in other styles.

KICK PROTECTION
Tray will have a complete cover over the hand release to block the baby,

DISHWASHER TRAY
and there will be a dishwasher top to the tray that you can take off and stick in the dishwasher.

I talked to 2 different customer service reps. One said mid-May, one said end of May for release of the new product. Sigh. That's cutting it way closer than I'd hoped. I want to get one soon. But hope this info helps others