PDA

View Full Version : Best products to use for tummy time?

justlearning
04-28-2003, 01:39 PM
I want to have tummy time every day with my son, who should be born any day now. I've heard about the importance of tummy time, but am not really sure what to do with my baby during that time. Are there certain products (e.g., a Bobby pillow) or something else that are useful for propping him up a little? Do I need something entertaining for him to look at on his tummy? I just ordered the Gymini Deluxe (Noah's Ark)--will that come in handy as something engaging for him to look at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

flagger
04-28-2003, 04:16 PM
We are fortunate that we have full length mirrors on our bedroom closets. I can think of nothing more engaging at first than their own face. :)

brubeck
04-28-2003, 04:52 PM
I agree with Flagger, both of my kids LOVED looking at themselves in the mirror and tummy time would pass quickly.

egoldber
04-28-2003, 07:17 PM
I had the Lamaze Mirror and Sarah adored that for tummy time. I think most babies pretty much hate it at first. Just experiment to find things your babe likes and keep at it.

HTH,

ginalc
04-29-2003, 08:28 AM
My first 2 children played with soft toys, teething toys, etc. Now that my 3rd child is playing on his tummy, my 2 yr. old has brought him some toys I never thought of such as:

a busy box (simple toy that has a push lever, pull lever, turn knob, and button that offer a pop-open surprise as a reward)

Fisher Price Farm! The barn doors open and have short, fun sounds, the animals and farmer are big enough for babies to play with, and my 4 month old LOVES this toy!

Also, I bought some soft foam squares that connect together and use them as our play area. It's easier on my back and hips to lay and play along-side baby, and doubles as an exercise area for me too!

gina, mom to 3

mam615
04-29-2003, 06:11 PM
The only thing we really used was the Lamaze mirror with the foam triangle to help prop her up a bit. This gave her the general idea of lifting her face and shoulders off the mattress. I found that it wasn't as useful to put interesting things UNDER her as it was to put them IN FRONT of her -- that way, she got the idea to look up. She never seemed to notice the mirror when it was under her, so we propped it up on the side of the crib, and voila -- her best friend!

peterkin
04-29-2003, 08:42 PM
My DD likes the Playskool Tummy Time Picture Show toy. And she will use it on her tummy but also sitting up. She likes it better at 7 months than she did at 5 months (she has always hated tummy time).

August Mom
04-29-2003, 09:34 PM
I was about to suggest this as well. DS hated tummy time, but seemed to tolerate it best with the Tummy Time Picture Show going. He also really liked playing with it when sitting as well. Its dials are very easy to spin and push.

justlearning
04-30-2003, 01:01 AM
Thanks for all your responses! Interestingly, I had purchased the Lamaze mirror online but returned it because it came all scratched up, then decided to get the FP Sparkling Symphony crib mirror instead. At the time I did this, though, I wasn't really aware of the importance of "tummy time." My question is do you keep the Lamaze mirror attached to the foam during tummy time or take it off and just prop the baby up on the foam and put the mirror in front of her/him? I read on Amazon that some parents said the mirror was at the wrong angle for babies to see themselves when on their tummy. Could something else like a wedge foam pillow (that I'm using for my pregnancy) do the same thing and I can put a mirror in front of him? If you think the Lamaze mirror/wedge is the best way to go, I'm going to go back and get that.

Secondly, I previously hadn't heard of the "Tummy Time Picture Show" (thanks for the recommendation!) so I just read the reviews on Amazon. Some parents said that it drains batteries quickly--has this been your experience too?

Thirdly, at what age should I start tummy time and for how long at a time and for how many times a day? I apologize for being long-winded and asking so many questions, but as my name implies--I am indeed "just learning" about everything! :)

ginalc
05-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Every child is different and progresses at their own rate.

You should play with your baby and practice rolling over and offer short tummy times as soon as you recover from the sleepless nights and baby is more awake and alert. For some, this is a few days after delivery, for others, several weeks.

Start with a minute or 2 a few times daily and progress from there. I use the "burping tummy time" as mine starting when they are just a few days old. This means that while burping baby, instead of using my shoulder, I lay baby on his tummy over my lap. He can look around, move his head, and get a different view of the room. Very easy to work into your day!

Tummy time should include practicing rolling over too! I prefer to do diaper changes on the floor. This allows me to change baby, relax, and play a little at the same time. With each diaper change I also take the feet/legs/hips and roll baby from side to side.

I have found that the most entertaining item to baby is YOU!!! All the toys in the world don't compare to Mom or Dad or even the dog lying on the floor playing alongside during "tummy time." Of course, this is not possible all the time, but your baby will prefer you over cool toys, so you really don't have to spend a bundle to enjoy! :)

gina, mom to 3

justlearning
05-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Thanks, Gina, for your very helpful response, filled with easy-to-use ideas! I really appreciate your input and will follow your advice. Out of curiousity, when you do diaper changes on the floor, do you just put a waterproof pad underneath or do you use a special contoured changing pad or something else? I have a changing table so I hadn't really thought of doing them on the floor, but it'd sure be handy to do them on the floor when I'm downstairs (baby's room's upstairs) and get the tummy interaction at the same time.

August Mom
05-02-2003, 05:30 AM
I agree with Gina that your baby will prefer you to all other things. That being said, we had things for DS to play with during tummy time too. I did keep the Lamaze mirror attached to the foam during tummy time, although I put the mirror part at a 90 degree angle to the floor, somewhat away from the foam because it was a better angle for DS. DS was never super into the Lamaze mirror, though. Truthfully, I've never really thought about whether the Tummy Time Picture Show is a battery hog. I do not recall changing the batteries in it that often, but once the baby is here you go through so many batteries that it's not even funny and if it's something your baby really likes, you just change the batteries and rejoice that your baby is happy again. I will say that we never used the Tummy Time Picture Show as a light show each night like you can. (There's a daytime mode with short upbeat songs and a nighttime segment with lullabies that plays continuously). If you played it each night, I'm sure you would go through the batteries much quicker.

ginalc
05-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I bought a Land's End diaper bag and use their changing pad. I keep the diaper bag stocked and use that outside the baby's room. My friend has a similar system but uses a RubberMaid tub to store diaper changing supplies.

My oldest DD was 8 yrs old before she owned a battery operated toy. And I didn't even buy it for her, it was a gift. I have "battery-disposal issues" and I don't buy toys that need them. We own a few toys with batteries, but they were all gifts.

I think they should re-name the term "tummy time" to "come play/wrestle/and roll-with-me time!" I see so many items meant to entertain baby when really, the purpose is to get them off their bum/back and gain strengh and learn some rolling and crawling skills!!!

My youngest turned 5 months old a few days ago and yesterday, he went from crawling on all 4s (backwards) to a sitting position!!! He can scoot forward, but prefers the "roll and attack" technique at the moment. :) Both my DDs walked well and were literally climbing over everything by 1 yr. Playing on the floor with them daily during tummy time helps you to know when to call it quits. If you're bored and ready to move on, chances are baby is, too.

gina

gina, mom to 3

inthesticks
05-08-2003, 01:57 PM
I know you've had millions of responses about tummy time, but I wanted to put in another good word for the Lamaze mirror. My 8 month old enjoyed it a bit as a very young baby, but hated tummy time in general so it was a minor distraction. However, once she could sit up, she LOVED just playing with the mirror and foam triangle because it was big and easy to manipulate and gave her a peek at herself every once in a while. Also, now that she is getting ready to crawl she loves looking at herself in the mirror and laughs and talks to it.

Maybe you know this, but the mirror comes with a thin protective sheet over it that peels off. Perhaps that was what was scratched on your, not the mirror itself.

As someone else said, tummy time on your lap is a good way to get babies used to it and more fun for them. Also try the bed (with a diaper under his or her mouth!).

MyFirstBaby
05-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi Anne -

If I could throw my '2 cents' in as well... You may or may not have seen my previous post about the importance of tummy time (Bouncy Seats, etc. What I'd Do Differently Next Time).

First, I also recommend the Lamaze mirror. My son is 7 months and still loves it. Other than that, I did not spend much time having Collin on his tummy because he hated it. As a result, he is now wearing a cranial remolding band to round out his head which is severely asymmetrical.

Second, as far as tummy time exercises go, you should do it a couple of times a day for a few minutes at first and eventually increase the time and frequency of tummy time as your baby's neck becomes stronger.

Third, Boppy has a TummyTime Boppy, which is smaller and has toys attached to distract them and help them play and keep their heads up. Recommended.

What we do not realize is that, before the Back to Sleep campaign, when babies were sleeping on their tummies, infants naturally strengthened and stretched the neck muscles with frequent lifting of the head. The strengthened neck muscles made it less likely that an infant would 'favor' lying one side over another. In other words, if an infant has a weakened muscle in the neck, they are more likely to flop their head on one side and keep it there (it's called an SCM imbalance, or sternomascleidomastoid muscle in the neck). Hence, the problem we have with flattened heads now due to the prolonged usage of bouncy seats, swings and infant carriers.

Whatever you can do to help your baby develop those muscles is great - whether it be burping them on their tummy, changing their diaper on the floor and rolling them around, or using whatever object you can find to distract them while their on the floor on their tummy... It's going to help.

I can only hope that pediatricians and hospital nurses begin to stress the importance of Tummy Time.

You may have had your baby by the time you read this, so I wish you the best of luck!

Rhonda
Mom to Collin
http://www.geocities.com/imaplagiokid/index.html