PDA

View Full Version : Desperatelly seeking hypoallergnic bath items

liya
05-04-2003, 04:10 PM
My ds has been suffering from horrible rashes. Not only is the milk he is drinking affecting him but the bath items we use as well. I was wondering if anyone knew of any fragrance free,dye free etc etc stuff to bathe baby and also some type of moistorizer for his skin...Please let me know his poor little skin is soooooo sensitive, gosh my DNA played a big role in that...your help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks

etwahl
05-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Quick question, but do you think your son has eczema? My dd does, and I have been using cetaphil in the bath, it's soap free, and has no bubbles (pretty unexciting) but it's also non-drying. The lotion I use after the bath is a prescription, but think it's also similar to the cetaphil lotion. I have a cortizone for the bad spots.

I know there have been a bunch of posts recently on eczema, so if you think it is, you might look at those posts and check with your doctor. If you've already ruled out eczema, I apologize, but the cetaphil will probably work anyway!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

Momof3Labs
05-04-2003, 07:46 PM
We use Aveeno fragrance-free body wash, which was about the mildest thing I could find on my own (Colin is sensitive to fragrances). It is in the adult body wash section, not in the infants, but has all of the gentle ingredients that I was looking for.

It is a little pricey (about $6 a bottle) but we've only used about half the bottle over the last 7 months, so it lasts forever!

lisams
05-04-2003, 08:23 PM
We also use Cetaphil and have had really good results. As Tammy said, it doesn't lather like regular soap but it is very mild and moisturizing.

Good Luck!
Lisa

liya
05-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Nope it isnt eczema, thought it was but the ped told me it wasnt its just a combined allergic reaction of fragrances in soap and moisturizer and the formula(hes allergic to all formulas)...yup its that horrible...m friend had told me she had used cetaphil body wash on her daughter but i was skeptical because i didnt know if it would irritate ds eyes....let me know about your experience do you bathe your s/d from head to toe with cetaphil???

liya
05-05-2003, 12:12 AM
i have to check if they sell the product here...humm ill get back to you tommorow...DO u use anything as a moisturizer?
thanks alot

Momof3Labs
05-05-2003, 08:01 AM
We don't use a moisturizer all the time, but when he has a dry spot, I use Aquaphor. Also a little pricey, but lasts forever! And also found with adult moisturizers/hand creams.

blnony
05-05-2003, 10:01 AM
I've posted about this several times too. I use the Kiehl's baby products and they are wonderful. My child has had everything from hives to rashes from bath products. We've tried all the store stuff like Johnson's to Mustela. Adult products like Aveeno etc. The Kiehls products are the only thing we've found (besides a Baby Ezcema product at Target) that works for DD. Their products are kind of pricey, but they've been great. That is also the only shampoo that hasn't caused "peeling" on my child's scalp. You can look at their products at Kiehls.com; and they are sold at Saks and Nordstrom stores and on the web.
Also, if you a search in this forum, you will find a lot of other reviews about sensitive skin.
HTH-

liya
05-05-2003, 04:42 PM
thanks alot Brianna...Yeah its kinda hard for me to search on the threads my dh is usually on the comp drawing for work and when he gives me time to use it i just run and use it really fast..But its nice to know for when i have time like today to search....

mae2jul
05-05-2003, 07:38 PM
I love products from "California Baby"! I buy it at Whole Foods but have also found it in the natural section of some grocery stores. Check out www.californiababy.com
They carry sunscreen, bodywash, bubble bath, etc. Most of their products have scents but some don't. They carry a "super sensitive body wash/shampoo. None of their products have sodium lauryl sulfate, DEA, synthetic fragrances or additives.
Hope this helps-
Daniella and Julia 6-13-02

mommyb
05-07-2003, 03:27 PM
We use Aveeno baby lotion. It is the on;ly thing that has worked for us. I saw that someone suggested aquaphor - my son is sensitive to it. I think it has lanolin in it. We never use soap. I also use tide free on our clothes and double rinse everything. My son also cannot tolerate diaper rash creams with zinc oxide, so we use plain old A+D. I use it every time I change him and change him often. For the bath, we haven't had problems with the J+J products - the cleansing cloths and regular baby shampoo. I only wash his face with water. I also give my son Aveeno oatmeal baths sometimes.

Since you have sensitive skin, I would suggest trying the same brands you use. For example, I use almost all aveeno products and that's what worked for my son. I also use basis cleansing bars for me, but have not tried them on my son yet. He's not yet mobile, so he doesn't really get that dirty.

I also do not let anyone wearing wool or cologne/perfume hold my son. All of that irritates his skin.

Good luck.

mom of thomas fan
05-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Our ped dermatologist recommended Cetaphil, Aveeno and the cheapest one of all is Dove. They make a non-scented soap made for sensitive skin. For moisturizing, we use Cetaphil, Curel, Eucerin & Vaseline.

liya
05-08-2003, 10:08 PM
thanks alot you all ive found out that DS is doing way better since ive been bathing him with dove uncented and moisturizing him wihth cetaphil....thanks for all your help my ds skin thanks you also...lol