PDA

View Full Version : Best Baby Products

spencersmommy
05-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Hello everyone! Before I run out and start stocking up, what brands do you all like best for baby shampoo, baby wash, diaper cream, etc...that kind of stuff...Thanks in advance!
Amy
EDD 6/2

Rachels
05-08-2003, 07:14 AM
My favorite bath stuff is the Baby Bee stuff from Burt's Bees. It smells like heaven, and the shampoo comes in a bar. That's very handy when you only have one free hand for hair-washing. For diaper cream, I love the calendula baby cream by Weleda. It's great as a barrier cream at night, and soothes diaper rash really quickly.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
05-08-2003, 07:16 AM
I would suggest buying in moderation (versus stocking up) and keeping receipts until you know what works for you. We found out the hard way that Colin was very sensitive to stuff with fragrance in it, so weren't able to use most of what I bought before he was born - but fortunately was able to return most of it.

That said, I think that it is safe to buy some Aquaphor - great for moisturizing dry patches and using as a barrier on the diaper area. We use Aveeno body wash (fragrance free, found in the adult section) because that is what works for us (no separate shampoo). My other favorite diaper cream is Walgreen's generic desitin - just like the regular stuff but fragrance free. Even J&J baby oil has fragrance in it - that stuff made Colin SOOOOO itchy!

Good luck on your impending delivery!

lukkykatt
05-08-2003, 08:31 AM
I too think it is best to buy in moderation, to see what you like and what your baby can tolerate. Many babies have sensitive skin and the scented baby products can be irritating. We use: Aveeno moisturizing baby bath, cetaphil lotion, aquaphor or A&D for diaper cream - I know, not very exciting, but it is what doesn't irritate my kids' skin. Luckily neither of my boys have sensitive heads, so I use Gerber shampoo in the pump (which is very handy) and that is where I get that great baby smell on them!

You are coming in the home stretch - good luck!

mam615
05-08-2003, 09:45 AM
I like Tom's of Maine baby shampoo, Baby Bee soap, and A&D diaper cream with aloe (the cream has a purple label; I didn't like the ointment, which has a brown label). I don't really use baby lotion. For massages, I use olive oil (!), as recommended by a baby massage book I have. I keep a small container of it by the changing table. I only use the oil if I know I'm going to bathe her right afterward. Olive oil also worked amazingly well for cradle cap.

Also, I find genuine Q-tips to be the best (better than J&J).

stillplayswithbarbies
05-08-2003, 12:00 PM
I love the washcloths that have the soap already in them, I think they are made by J&J? I have been cutting them in half, she's so small that a whole one is a waste. I use it on her hair too. I like them for the convenience, and she doesn't seem sensitive to anything in it.

For lotion I am using Mustela in the pump. No special reason I chose this brand except we were out at the mall and this is what Right Start had. The J&J lotion in the pink bottle just was not doing anything for her newborn dry skin, so I had to get something. This works.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

jenmcadams
05-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Abbie isn't very sensitive, but we use the J&J Moisturizing body wash/shampoo and then we use Aquaphor for almost everything else (it's the only thing we've ever used for diaper rash and Abbie has never had any problems...also it's great for dry cheeks).

Denyse
05-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Something we've found that we really like a lot is Baby Magic Bedtime Milk Bath and Bed time Milk Lotion. LOVE this stuff. We also like Baby Magic Baby lotion (I Love the smell) and Baby Bee stuff. We use plain old Desitin for his bottom or the Wal-mart brand of diaper cream. But as others have said, don't buy too much of anything just incase your little one has sensitivities to it.

chrissyhowie
05-12-2003, 12:31 AM
One great way to try all sorts of products is to buy the "starter kits." Burts Bees has one and I think Mustela has one too. If baby doesn't agree with the stuff, you could always use the lotions and stuff on yourself ;) !

I definitely agree with not stocking up on everything right away -- we have a MEGA pack of baby wipes refills that we may never use because DD totally gets rashes from them!

HTH,

toniteach
05-13-2003, 09:41 AM
I just have to put a plug in for Boudreaux's Butt Paste! www.buttpaste.com It's the best thing ever!!! I use it on every diaper change, and dd has never had any diaper rash.

Have fun with all the neat products out there for your baby!

Toni
Kelly 12.4.02

Fiasco
05-13-2003, 02:11 PM
i got a lot of J&J stuff as gifts, and was shocked when my pediatrician told us to use DOVE and only dove, in the bath. it's the most gentle on the skin and keeps the skin moist. he told us that many of the baby lotions like baby magic actually contain alcohol that will make baby's skin stay dry! he recommended eucerin or aquaphor (made by eucerin) after the bath, but no special shampoos or soaps.

i followed this strictly until a few weeks ago when i gave my 6 month old a bubble bath with the J&J bedtime bath (smells yummy)... and noticed the next day that his skin was very dry. i guess we'll stick with dove.

so i would agree, get starter kits and skip the big bottles until your baby is a little older and you've tried stuff out.

kerry

Jodi
05-16-2003, 04:03 PM
I *absolutely* love the smell of Gerber's Baby Wash, Foaming Mousse and Lotion with Oatmeal--we've used it since Ella's very first bath and I use it too ;). The mousse is great since it's already watered down and rinses out very easily.

We also use Eucerin Cream--which works very well. And, as stinky and nasty as it is, I find that Desitin (the original kind, not the creamy) gets rid of diaper rash in no time flat.

HTH,
Jodi (Ella's Mom)