PDA

View Full Version : chemicals in plastic cups and bottles

inthesticks
05-08-2003, 01:41 PM
What do people know about poly-carbonate plastic in bottles and sippy cups? I think that's the right term... My baby group has been talking about avoiding this type of plastic because the chemicals leach into the drink and have been found to be hormone blockers in mice (whose cages are made of it). My baby has just gotten good at using her Gerber sippy cup, which of course , is made of this type of plastic (the clear, hard kind). I suppose her Avent bottles are too... though we don't use them as much now. Are there any sippy cups with handles out there that are of opaque plastic? I should probably also buy a few new bottles till she stops using them. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

flagger
05-08-2003, 03:44 PM
I have never seen any definitive research on this subject. Just quotes from different websites with no footnotes or headers to back up their claims.

Honestly and this is JMHO, if you want to be sure only use glass, but know that thousands of kids have grown up just fine by drinking from sippy cups and bottles with polycarbonate. If you read some research over time you will realise that lab animals are subjected to far more chemicals, additives, etc than any human would be over a lifetime.

inthesticks
05-08-2003, 08:25 PM
WEll.... the info is from Chemistry.org, who got it from The Glasgow Herald (4/14/03) and the scientist is a woman from Case Western Reserve. Also, one of the dads from our group is a chemist and he had a big article about it in one of his science journals. so, unfortunately, I think this is a case of a real concern and not just a rumor. Granted, our babies don't LIVE in the plastic, like the mice... but the article said humans could have similar levels of exposure. So, I'd still like to get a different cup if it's out there.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2003, 09:33 AM
You don't want to use glass for breastmilk, the molecules cling to the glass and baby doesn't get all the nutrients. I am not sure if this is true for formula too or not.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

mae2jul
05-10-2003, 12:36 AM
We try to use only "First Years" brand of cups, bowls, etc for this reason. It is PVC free (not sure it this is the same thing). I find all the first Years stuff at Target.
Hope this helps-
Daniella
PS- They also have toys that are made by First Years and PVC free.

mam615
05-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure about problems with plastic bottles and cups, but here's a similar sounding issue related to plastic wrap, from drweil.com:

[i]Cancerous Chemicals Leaching from Plastic Wrap?

"I recently read that plastic wrap, particularly the kind that clings, can cause hormonal changes leading to cancer. So much of the food I buy is covered in plastic. What do you know about this? "

-- Paula

Published 01/28/1999)

Concern about a chemical used in making the clingy plastic wrap that markets put on meat, cheese and other foods may be justified. The suspect chemical is di-(2-ethylhexyl)adipate better known as DEHA. Some animal studies have suggested that DEHA (not to be confused with the hormonal precursor DHEA) is an endocrine disrupter, one of a number of chemicals that can negatively influence the hormonal activity in our bodies possibly leading to breast cancer, birth defects, low sperm counts and mental problems. Other suspected endocrine disrupters include dioxin, DDT and PCB's.

The problem here is that DEHA can leach into food that is wrapped in plastic. In a recent study, Consumers Union tested prewrapped cheese to see if it had picked up DEHA from its wrappings. Those encased in commercial cling wrap used by supermarkets contained levels of DEHA averaging 153 parts per million, much too high if it turns out that DEHA is an endocrine disrupter. Of the retail brands -- brands such as Glad, Saran Wrap etc. -- tested by Consumers Union, it found only one Reynolds Plastic Wrap contained DEHA. The manufacturer concedes that DEHA is in its plastic wrap but maintained that it is unaware of any study connecting the chemical with endocrine disruption.

At present no one knows how the chemical affects humans. The FDA maintainsthere's no evidence demonstrating that DEHA causes hormone disruption, but the Environmental Protection Agency has begun to screen thousands of chemicals, including DEHA to identify possible endocrine disrupters for further study.

Until then we won't know for sure whether or not the DEHA in plastics is a health risk. In the meantime, you can take steps to protect yourself:

**Remove cling wrap from cheese or meat as soon as you get home from the market, then scrape or otherwise remove the surface layer and store in a heavier plastic bag or container.

**Better yet, avoid buying foods wrapped in cling wrap. Instead have the butcher or deli cut your meat, cheeses, cold cuts, etc, for you fresh and have them wrapped in paper

**If you use plastic wrap to cover food, make sure that it doesn't touch the food.

**Never let plastic wrap come into contact with food cooked in a microwave oven.

ginalc
05-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Hi Michelle,

Good article! I'll remember this when I store my food.

Just a note, I have 2 Grandmothers on my father's side, one is named Dorothy, the other Viola. What are the odds of THAT!!! :)

gina, mom to 3