PDA

View Full Version : Toy for a 2 year old? "stacking snail" too young??--HELP!!

beckyr88
05-13-2003, 10:53 AM
I need to get a birthday present for our 2 year old niece...and I have no idea what is appropriate...

I bought a wooden color ring-sorter in the shape of a snail. It is by Learning Curve and it says 2+ on the box... do any of you know if this is too much of a "baby toy" for a 2 year old? I went by what it says on the box, but DH thinks it may be too babyish for her.

Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!

egoldber
05-13-2003, 01:30 PM
The toy sounds fine for her. The problem is that by the time your kid is two they have SO DAGGONE MANY toys!! For older toddlers, I try to give things that are either consumables (drawing paper, sketch pads, washable crayons, paints, paint brushes, playdoh, etc.) or a TRU gift certificate. That way the mom can get a toy if they need/want one or she can use it to buy diapers, clothes or whatever SHE prefers, LOL!!! It's not very snazzy, but the older my baby gets, the more practical I become.

HTH,

beckyr88
05-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Thank you so much for your quick reply!!

I really like your idea about crayons/paper, etc. I will definitely keep that in mind for the next time I need to get a gift for someone...but since I already bought this toy, I guess I'll go with it. And I know what you mean about having so many toys already...this baby is one of the best "provided for" kids that I know!! But my BIL and SIL are SO generous with us, that I wanted to get her a real "something"...and a darling dress from baby gap too!!

Thanks again for your help..it's going in the mail today!

khakismom
05-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Some of the things that Kathleen got for her 2nd birthday were:

Books, wooden train set from Target, PlayDoh, bath toys, Little Tikes basketball set, puzzles, Fisher-Price Grow-to-Pro golf set, this Mega Blocks musical karaoke-type thing that she LOVES, My First Leap Pad, and her favorite: a Fisher-Price inflatable house that comes with like 100 balls to roll around and play in.

Anything by Little Tikes is usually a hit at this age (of course if you have to mail it, that's where it gets tricky as LT stuff can be huge :)), as is role-playing toys (like baby dolls and kitchen items).

HTH a little! Good luck! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

brubeck
05-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Little People items are a big hit too.

muskiesusan
05-14-2003, 11:22 AM
My son, now 19.5 months got this toy for christmas from my sister. I think it would be great for the two year old. Nick can only do the ring part, but it also springs the rings up into the air by hitting the snails head, which he can't do. That's probably why its for 2+. It is one of the favorite toys when his older cousins come over, ages 2-9. They like to see how far they can make the rings fly.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01