PDA

View Full Version : Stuff for the beach

luvtoshop
05-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Hello--I hope that I'm posting this question in the right forum....

We are renting a condo at the beach in CA this summer for a week and would like any input on items that you think we'll need for our dd who will be 9 months at the time.

I've already ordered a Tuffo stadium blanket (waterproof on one side) and was considering a Safety 1st chair to take along... Please suggest everything down to the brand of sunscreen..was thinking CA baby (love their bath stuff). Would also like to know where you can get those over-sized floppy sun hats. We will be driving a Volvo wagon so will have room for transporting items.

Thanks in advance!!

mamahill
05-25-2003, 08:33 PM
What part of California? If by Safety 1st chair you mean a portable high chair, you might want to consider waiting and just buying it here to save room initially. Of course, our 8.25% sales tax rate isn't exactly attractive.

Do you have a pack n play?

I was at the Gap a couple days ago and they have some really cute big floppy hats. I think they're even having a Memorial Day sale on all their shirts/shorts/capris/tanks (for adults too!). We have the big white brimmed hat from Old Navy that velcros under the chin. Also, Ainsleigh has sunglasses (though she doesn't do a good job of keeping them on) to help cut the glare.

That's all I can think of right now...

August Mom
05-25-2003, 08:44 PM
We have one of the Gap sun hats and I really like it. It has a velcro chin strap so it stays on DS's head (most of the time anyway :)) and the brim is pretty wide.

luvtoshop
05-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Yes, we have a Pack N Play that we'll bring along and yes, the portable high chair is what I'm considering. 8.25% is much better than 8.9%. ; )

Thanks for the info on the Gap hats.

luvbeinmama
05-27-2003, 01:47 AM
Yeah, where in CA?

Ventura county sales tax is 7.25%.

Bring baby powder, or buy it here, just make sure you have it at the beach. Sprinkle it on the wet, sticky sand and it all comes right off!

My favorite sun hat is from www.sunprecautions.com. The kids legionnaire hat is simply awesome! They are a bit pricey, but totally worth it IMO! They also have floppy, wide brim hats for the kids. Here's the link for all the kids stuff:
http://www.sunprecautions.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe?HTNAME=_kidsHome.htm&UID=2003052623262040

I just use the waterbabies 45 spf spray-on sunscreen and it works great for me.

HTH!

emilyf
05-27-2003, 12:04 PM
I just bought a pop-up tent at Target for the beach this summer. I tried it out in the house this morning and it's pretty cool-it's very light and folds down small in its own bag, but pops up to be a pretty large shade. There are some side panels that are mesh-I'm not sure how protective against bright sun they'd be, but it looks pretty cool and will work for us, we probably will won't be on the beach for extended periods and probably not in the middle of the day-
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

daisymommy
05-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Do you mean to use the Pack and Play on the beach? My mother suggested this, and I hate to say I thought she was crazy, (I was afraid of the sand ruining it, and thought no one ever did this, and others would think WE were crazy). It would be nice not to have to constantly be running after a mobile baby all afternoon though!...Unless maybe you meant to use the PNP in the hotel room...

Jodi
05-30-2003, 09:34 AM
I would also recommend the Water Babies Sunscreen in a stick (I found it at Target)

wendmatt
06-02-2003, 01:42 AM
I just got the banana boat Baby Magic Instant Protection, SPF 50 and it seems to work really well. I like the fact that you don't have to wait for it to work. The beach cabana thing is a great idea although a 9mth old would prob not stay in it. We also have a little surf suit that has knee length legs and arms spf 100 which we put on dd to go to the beach or pool. It covers more than a bathing suit.
Also, Baby Banz sunglasses. They have the wet suit fabric to keep them in place.
Have a great trip!

tilly2321
06-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Wendmatt,
Where did you get your surf suit with the SPF protection. I have been looking for one that is knee length. If anyone else has any input, I would love to know. TIA
Elle

wendmatt
06-03-2003, 12:19 AM
I got it from a baby expo. It is called Radicool.I'm here looking at the label and it says www.radicoolaustralia.com
I would think they have outlets in the US so they'll prob be able to tell you where. I would make it a link like some clever people do here, but I'm completely useless and don't know how!!!
Good luck
Wow, I just posted this and it did it automatically, hooray! HTH

August Mom
06-03-2003, 12:49 AM
You can get a similar suit from One Step Ahead.

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=98755&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=98755

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=91764&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=91764&change=117

luvtoshop
06-15-2003, 11:52 PM
I was thinking we'd use the PNP in the condo for our dd to sleep in. : )

luvtoshop
06-15-2003, 11:54 PM
HI--Where did you find the BabyBanz glasses?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Taking notes...

luvtoshop
06-15-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the baby powder trick! 8.9% is in Seattle. : )