PDA

View Full Version : need to start thinking about a high chair???

cchavez
06-18-2003, 12:27 PM
we thought we were going to get the zoooper peas n carrots...but should we save our $$$ and get the Fisher price or baby trend??? I wish these chairs matched the colors in our house better.....what is your opinion? TIA

nitaghei
06-18-2003, 12:51 PM
We just got the FP Deluxe Healthy chair. Having used it for all of 3 days :), I really like it. We got ours at Target - so it doesn't have that stupid ruffle and is a grayish plaid - which actually doesn't clash too badly with other colors (gray-blue and black). Of course, nothing is going to make that plastic work with mission style furniture . . . .

Nita

Marisa6826
06-18-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm in the same boat. They're all SO damned ugly!

I'm leaning toward the Baby Trend, though.

-m

nitaghei
06-18-2003, 01:25 PM
One cool thing about the FP is that it has THREE trays. Pop the messy one in the dishwasher and just plop on a clean one. And it does fold up - which is consideration because we don't exactly have a large house. How does the Baby Trend compare?

I have to say that this is one purchase we made by marching into Target and seeing if DS was comfortable in it. I'm so exhausted that I just couldn't see going from store to store checking out chairs - given how ugly they all are, anyway.

Nita

Marisa6826
06-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Nita-

I looked at the FP one in Buy Buy Baby and every time I tried to move it the chair dropped to the lowest setting. I don't know if it was that particular highchair or what, but it was really annoying. It also felt kind of "flimsy" to me. I was disappointed because I was particularly excited (oh has MY life changed!) over the three trays.

Those PP and CM ones are so HUGE and unappealing, not to mention really expensive...We live in an open plan condo, so everything is in view. I was hoping to find one not as ugly as sin, but no dice!

As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE one from Happy Highchairs, I'm NOT spending that kind of money! Jonathan would have a fit.

-m

Edited to say that the Baby Trend comes fully assembled (just have to put the wheels on), and it has a removable (dishwasher ready) tray that sits in the permanent one. It also folds. I think, however, that the seat is cloth. UGH. One more thing to figure out!

blnony
06-18-2003, 02:16 PM
I started out with a Chicco Mamma and after a couple months of use, we hated it. My mom had bought a FP Deluxe HH and we loved it, so we bought one. Its the one with the wheels and without the ruffle. It has three snap in trays, which is nice when they are picking up table food with their hands, they fit in the dishwasher, and as far as being flimsy, its lighweight but we haven't had any problems with that at all. We've never had a problem with it not staying at one height. We really like this chair a lot, esp. compared to our Chicco.
Also, you can keep the highchair stored in a closet so it isn't really part of your decor. With ours, it folds up easily and the main tray snaps on the back. We keep the snap part of the trays in the kitchen so they stay clean until we are ready to use them.

nitaghei
06-18-2003, 02:38 PM
This sounds like the one we have. And it feels pretty sturdy to me, even though it's lightweight. And we've had no problems with it not staying at one height either. Of course, like I said before, it's been all of 3 days. :)

Nita

Sarah1
06-18-2003, 03:33 PM
I have the FP Healthy Care Deluxe and love it. It is MUCH cheaper than some of the pricier ones out there, and I think it's just as good. Several of my friends have the pricier Chicco Mamma and Peg Perego, and I have received compliments from them on my high chair! It is very sturdy and I have absolutely no problem adjusting the height or seat incline. Most importantly, DD (7 1/2 mos) seems very comfy in it. I would definitely go for the deluxe as it has wheels. The wheels are KEY! As far as folding it up, I never fold it, so I'm not sure how easy that would be to do on a day-to-day basis.

And the colors aren't bad. Sort of a khaki/black/plaid, very gender neutral. Let's face it, none of these things really "go" with your decor!

Marisa6826
06-18-2003, 03:46 PM
>Also, you can keep the highchair stored in a closet so it
>isn't really part of your decor.

To use an apt "quote":

Closets, we don't have no stinkin' closets! :)

Thanks for the input. I will look at the FP one again :)

-m

blnony
06-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Sorry....sometimes I forget how lucky I am!! :)
Even if you don't put it in a closet, you can fold it, (just two small push buttons on the side) and put it up against wall. Our dining room isn't very big, and I usually have to either put it away or put up against the wall. Audrey is 10 months now, so we use it for three meals plus snacks right now, and I don't have any problems storing it.

cchavez
06-18-2003, 07:06 PM
where did you get the black, khaki, green FP chair?

Sarah1
08-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Christine,

I ordered it online at www.babyage.com. I remember I looked at several online stores, and they were the only one I could find that carried it. Anyway, I just checked their site and they have it in stock, for $89.99, shipping is $3.95, and it's the exact same pattern (khaki/black=ish plaid) I have. Now, be forewarned that it does have the ruffles, which apparently bother some people although I never noticed them (because I have a girl, maybe? don't know!)

LOVE the chair, highly recommend!