PDA

View Full Version : Combi Easy Glide Highchair

Marisa6826
06-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Anybody have this? Babystyle has it on sale for $120.

Pros? Cons?

-m

August Mom
06-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I have the Deluxe Easy Glider.

Pros:

*Pretty good fit for DS (the tray is not too high and is relatively close to him). Note: I have the Deluxe with the infant insert, so without it, the fit may not be as close to the tray.

*Cleaning around the tray. The tray really wraps around and extends pretty far back on the arms. So, food smears are usually on the tray instead of the arms of the chair.

*All kinds of features. It has height adjustments, reclines flat, glides. The Deluxe also has the infant insert, acoustic canopy and a basket.

*Vinyl seat. The seat can be wiped off or machine washed.

*Cleaning. Actually, this seat isn't too bad to clean. You can easily lift up the seat cover to clean under it. Most dropped food in the seat winds up on the footrest and there aren't nooks and cranies on the seat or arms. There are crumbs that get caught in the trim around the seat cover, but overall, not bad.

Cons:

*Casters - I hate them. The rear casters do not swivel, which makes it hard to push/steer the chair if you want to move it and the front casters seem to lock when you move the chair, even if you don't step on the locks.

*Folding - This really isn't an issue for me because I never intended to fold the high chair. However, if you want to fold and store your chair, this is probably not the chair for you. The Combi folds by lowering the seat all the way to the floor. Thus, folded, the chair's footprint is the same as when it is up. You can turn it on its side but it doesn't stand up when folded like some of the other chairs or fold compactly.

*Some would say size. It is a bigger looking chair because of the gliding mechanism. However, I compared it side by side with the Prima Pappa, and they took up the same amount of floor space. The Combi is larger around the seat area because of the gliding mechanism.

*The seat is heavy when adjusting the height higher because you also are lifting the gliding mechanism.

*Strap design. I'm not crazy about the strap design because when tightening the shoulder straps, you're left with excess strap that you are supposed to tuck into the strap covers. However, DS can easily pull the straps out and smear them with food. Also, the shoulder straps are uncoated cotton rather than the coated nylon waist strap. Consequently, food can get ground in easier.

Pro or Con: This seems to be a preference thing, but the crotch post is attached to the chair rather than the tray. I actually find that a pro at this point, because it is another way to secure DS in the chair, especially when I remove the tray to clean it.

I had a difficult time finding a chair that fit my relatively small and short DS well. This was the best we found and we got a great deal on the chair. So, it works for us. I do get annoyed when pushing it, though. And, I don't use the extra bells and whistles like the gliding, full recline or the acoustic canopy. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.

Here's a link to a discussion I had with Celeste (celfsh) about the Combi (before I had really used it) that provides various measurements and other information. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/774.html#1

HTH

Marisa6826
06-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks so very much for all the valuable information!

Sophie's a little munchkin too so I'm worried about finding a high chair that will be accomodating to her small size.

I didn't realize the Combi is so HUGE when folded. Because of that, I don't know it's the HC for us :(

Will continue the quest though!

Thanks again!

-m

August Mom
06-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Marisa,

Have you checked out the FP Healthy Care or Deluxe Healthy Care chairs? I found them to be smaller in the seat and have trays that came closer to DS than other chairs. But, DH didn't like the FP chairs, so we have the Combi. If you haven't tried them out, I'd take a look.

Marisa6826
06-19-2003, 10:25 PM
I have and I wasn't initially too crazy about them. The one I saw collapsed to the lowest seat height every time I tried to move it. I wasn't too crazy about it.

I'm leaning toward the Baby Trend one at this point. The only thing that sucks is that it's fabric and can't be thrown in the dryer...

They do offer a vinyl cover for it though. Also, I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to just take a cheapo bath towel, cut two slices down the middle (like the Bundle Me) for the straps and just use that...

-m

JustMare
06-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Marisa,

I've seen the Combi chair in person, and it's huge. It also looks over done to me. Like more of a playstation than just a highchair. I guess since it has the glider feature and a canopy - extras I don't feel are really needed for a highchair. But $120 is a good price for it. Sophie might like the glider feature. It does have it's pros and cons to it.

I'm not sure, but I think BRU and/or BBB are stocking it. I can't recall which one of the two stores I saw it in. But for the price you found it for, it might be worth it to go down and take a look at it.

Regarding the Baby Trend, I know Annette has the Khaki cover and loves it. It is more girly looking which would work for you :) I've also heard it is a small seat with a closer tray width, so that would work for Sophie. Isn't it a lot cheaper than the Combi? Perhaps the vinyl cover would be worth the additional purchase.

Isn't there a NEW Fisher Price chair? Or is the Deluxe model just hard to find?

I know no one ever talks about the Graco highchairs, but my friend has one and loves it. You can always try Sophie out in one of them too while your at the store.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on :)

Edited to add: You could always pick up the "Highchair Helper" for $15 to add to any chair you purchase. This will help Sophie out alot!

JustMare
06-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Babycenter Coupons I just got in my email today (in case you find a chair online):
• 10% on a $75 purchase (coupon code 17378678)
• 15% on a $150 purchase (coupon code 17271481)
• 20% on a $250 purchase (coupon code 16929705)

Marisa6826
06-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Thanks Mare!

I'm just about due to receive some BRU and BBB coupons. Since Sophie's still not "cooperating" with the solids, I have some time.

-m

dogmom
06-20-2003, 01:53 PM
I think everyone has summed up the pros and cons well. The only thing I have to add is that one of the reasons I got it is I have to black labs who are a little too food motivated. I had this vision of my son throwing food down of the floor to watch the dogs eat it and the dogs getting a little too exciting and knocking the high chair over. (I saw it almost happen to a friend of mine.) Because the combi doesn't fold up and always has that base I don't think there is anyway for my dogs to knock it over. I got the one without the canopy/basket. I don't miss them.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey

Marisa6826
06-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Jeanne

I got a pretty funny visual from your description :)

Fortunately, Sophie's pigdogs (Frenchies) are all of maybe 10" tall including their big heads, so no worries about knocking the chair over.

They can't WAIT for Cheerio patrol! :)

-m

Edited to say that if Willy and Tickie get too excited, they can't breath too well and will just pass out. Again, no threat to Sophie and her HC! :)