PDA

View Full Version : High Chair for limited space

jbrandy
06-24-2003, 04:06 PM
We have a VERY small kitchen and eating area. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good high chair that won't take up too much space??? I'm looking for something that is easy to clean (material on the seat) and safe for 3months+. Thanks.

Beth B
Mom of Evan 4-4-03

mam615
06-24-2003, 05:30 PM
As I'm sure you've seen, most high chairs nowadays are big space hogs. I think they are safer, more stable, easier to clean, mobile, etc. I would suggest one that folds up flat, like the Prima Pappa (which I have and like). A big plus, I think, is that the tray folds with it (I don't think others do this), so you don't have to find a separate spot for that. It's also on wheels, so you can move it out of the way easily. I think what makes it safe for 3 month-olds is the fact that it reclines.

If you're not ready to take the plunge for a big high chair, you could also look into a portable seat discussed in this thread:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/1241.html

Even if you do end up getting a regular high chair later, you could use the portable one for travel or leave it with relatives for visits (that's what we do).

emilyf
06-24-2003, 06:56 PM
We have so far skipped the high chair- I have a hook on seat attached to my breakfast bar. We started using it around 6 mos (once he could sit up well) and it has been great. I may end up getting a high chair eventually, but would like to avoid it if possible.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

jal
06-24-2003, 09:30 PM
We have the Chicco Mama, and it folds pretty flat very quickly and very easily. When folded, it is about 1 foot deep. It's been extreamly easy to clean (except for the harness).

sophiesmom
06-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Have you considered a wooden high chair? We have one and love it, and it's not as bulky as some of the plastic ones out there. We use a pad cover that's washable, no problems at all. Cleans easy too, we use a squirt bottle of water if things get a bit messy. Or else you could just use a booster seat (the kinds w/ trays that strap on to seats). My friend did that with her twins since they had a small kitchen. Good luck!
Stephanie

Sophia 8/4/01
Anthony 5/11/03

sugarsnappea
06-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Another vote for wood! A wood high chair is a super space saver and a cinch to clean. :)

jbrandy
06-26-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think the wooden high chair is a great idea--anyone know where I can find one?? My mom already has a wooden one for her house--it's the one we used at grandma's house when we were kids--now it's an antique but still in great shape to use. I would like to get one also but am not sure where to begin to find one. Thanks. Beth

August Mom
06-26-2003, 09:01 AM
USA Baby at least used to carry several wooden high chairs. I've also seen them at specialty baby shops. If you live near Pittsburgh, PA, Babyland has lots of wooden high chairs.

sophiesmom
06-26-2003, 01:54 PM
I got mine at a local baby store, where I got all my furniture. I don't know where you live, but if you happen to live in Southeastern PA ;-) the store is called Kids N Kribs in Wayne, PA. Our chair is made by Rochelle, it's a darker colored wood. I really love it. I've seen some in Baby Depot too.