PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Jumper

masetane
06-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Anyone have this (I think by Graco) that they can recommend it? seems like fun.
caroline

Marisa6826
06-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Sophie has one and she LOVES it. It took a few "sessions" before she figured out what to do with it, but now she just jumps around in circles, blowing raspberries cracking herself up.

It's probably as entertaining for me as it is for her!

Just make sure that you have the proper type of doorway for it. You need 1/2" moulding on each side of the doorway for it to hook on.

-m

lisams
06-25-2003, 05:29 PM
My DD has it and LOVES it!! It also took her a few tries to get the hang of it, and now she's like a little kangaroo!!!!

Lisa

masetane
06-25-2003, 07:50 PM
How old were your babies when they first went in?
caroline

lisams
06-25-2003, 08:46 PM
My DD was around 6 months. I think as long as they can support their head and upper body up then it's okay.

Lisa

Marisa6826
06-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Sophie was just about six months also. They really need to be able to kind of sit up a bit otherwise they just flop forward.

-m

peasprout
06-27-2003, 12:08 AM
My daughter was able to start hers at 5 months. (She had really strong neck muscles.) She loves it! It's her favorite toy. She smiles immediately when I put her in it. I also hang toys off the two round rings on the side so she has more to entertain herself with. Her leg muscles have grown so strong now and even when she's in her megasaucer, she jumps as if it's her bumper jumper! It's much safer than the Johnny Jump Up although more expensive.

Marisa6826
06-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Mine doesn't have rings, but we attach the Lamaze toys to the straps.

-m

crazyshopper
06-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Hi,

My son loves his Bumper Jumper. I think it is very helpful to build the strength and muscles in his legs, and since he loves to stand, this jumper is perfect.

The only thing that takes a while to get a hang of, is putting the child into the jumper. My little one squirms and bends his legs alot, so putting him in the jumper can be quite the task. (ditto for exersaucers and anything that has leg holes in them). I find that his legs need to be straight in order for me to place him into the jumper.

My doctor didn't like that I had a jumper, as he has mentioned that when the baby really gets jumping, their feet can "crash" to the ground, and damage can be done to their ankles/feet. I remedy this by making sure there is a soft pillow underneath him. I also monitor him to make sure that he doesn't go crazy jumping.

Hope this helps!
Crazyshopper

kristine_elen
07-01-2003, 04:40 PM
My son's pediatrician said they are bad for babies' legs, so I began to really limit its use. Then one day when I was putting him in, he somehow tumbled forward and out of it (luckily I caught him and eased him to the floor.) I threw it right in the dumpster -- no Goodwill donation or anything. (You also have to wonder about the bumper to protect your walls -- do you really want baby in something that can crash into walls?) Just my two cents.

Marisa6826
07-01-2003, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry your little one had a near miss, but I'm glad he's OK!

I have mine in a double French door area so Sophie is far from either side of the frame. The bumpers are meant to protect the BABY from hitting the door frame - not the sides of the bumper. The little ones get excited and don't always jump up and down but sometimes go from side to side.

I don't know that the Jumper is any more dangerous than getting a foot tucked under in an Exersaucer or if a baby accidently falls off a bed.

We've all had minor accidents. I think that as with any toy or activity area, consistent adult supervision and moderation is key.

-m

kristine_elen
07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
No, you're right, baby could get into trouble in just about anything! Just between my doc's disapproval, my near miss and the fact that sometimes they come dislodged from molding made me think, "Why use it?"
This is description from BRU web site (talking about bumper):
Bumper Jumper - By Graco
Features:
* High-back, quilted cloth seat is removable and machine washable
* Soft, all-around bumper protects woodwork
* Plastic dome keeps straps spread apart for easy entry and exit
* Spring-loaded, no-mar clamp easily adjusts to door frame
* Height adjustable, playtray for toys and adjustable play rings

ddmarsh
07-01-2003, 10:00 PM
In our previous home we had a really large arched doorway area that did not have molding but lots of room for baby to move around in one and DH just attached a couple of wood brackets that he made. This worked perfectly because there was nothing to crash into and my DS's were free to jump to their hearts' content!

Debbie