PDA

View Full Version : Playtex Vent Aire bottle system...

pastaff65
06-27-2003, 08:17 AM
We tried the Playtex nurser and did not like it, now trying the Vent Aire. There are 2 stages of nipples, Stage 1 for younger babies but when we used that one our 2 wk old could not get any formula out. Went to stage 2 but now he seems to gulp the formula and has a belly ache. Any suggestions on using Stage 1 nipples??? Patty

millerpjm
06-27-2003, 10:48 AM
I don't have any advice, but we tried the ventair bottles when DS was having bad gassiness (and fussiness as a result) and he could not get anything out with the stage 1 nipple either. Right now we are using the plain playtex disposable nursers (the one with the slide-thing that pushes the air out) and we REALLY like them.

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas (4 1/2 months)

wendysimon
06-27-2003, 11:05 AM
We have had fantastic luck with the vent air bottles. They were recommended to us by a couple women whose babies would not take a bottle. This was the only bottle that worked so we started with this one with no trouble. The 1st nipple was too slow for my baby so we used the larger one. She would kind of guzzle it but I don't think she got a tummy ache. She was a very efficient eater though. When she was just a few months old she would take 13 oz of breastmilk at night, thus the reason she slept through the night at an early age I think. We were very happy with this bottle and recommend it to everyone to try especially those with babies that won't take a bottle. Good Luck!

heidi_timms
06-27-2003, 01:08 PM
We also have had good luck with the VentAires. We moved directly to the stage 2 nipple. I have a fast let down, so we need a comparable nipple to match when DD is bf'd.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

brubeck
06-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Sometimes when they are new the Ventaire nipples are 'fused' together and nothing comes out. Turn the bottle upside down and see if a drop starts to come out. Then squeeze the nipple so that the tip is flattened. Do it again in the opposite direction. This should pop open the hole. Turn the bottle upside down again and see if there is any improvement.

If this does not work, I have manually increased the size of nipple holes using a clean sewing needle. Insert it into the hole and use it to stretch the opening as much as you like.

gigi927
06-27-2003, 06:48 PM
We also use the Ventaires and love them compared to all other bottles! We had the same problem with the nipples that you are having with our 6 week old son. I tried stretching the nipples as another poster suggested but it didn't work for us. So now we use the Doctor Brown's stage 1 nipples in the Ventaires. There is no leaking and the nipple size is perfect for our little guy. Good luck!

luvbeinmama
07-01-2003, 12:12 AM
I used the Vent Aire bottles with DS and loved them. Started with them at 8 months, though, so we went straight to the stage 2 nipples. With new nipples you have to pinch the end and roll it to make sure the opening is not fused shut. You could try cutting it a little bigger. They do tear (so the opening is bigger) under constant use anyway and eventually you end up replacing them as you go. Sorry I don't have any experience with the stage 1's. HTH.