PDA

View Full Version : Chicco Mamma, Primma Pappa or Baby Trend

Grace_underfire
07-09-2003, 11:31 AM
I am trying to decide between the Chicco Mamma, Primma Pappa or Baby Trend High chairs.

Are the Chicco and Peg Perego ones as awful as some people say?

I like the baby trend but the fact that it is not vinyl makes me worry that when I wash it it will fade and look old soon.
I think baby trend might come up with a new model in September that will be vinyl. Is this true? I might register for the Baby Trend and keep it in the box to see how I like the new one with Vinyl.

I just don't know what to do.

Momof3Labs
07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
I have the Prima Pappa and do NOT feel that it is worth the money! The tray is so high and far away from Colin - we've been able to make it work (for the price) but I wish that I had picked a different high chair. Lots of nooks and crannies for crumbs to catch in, too.

I do like having wheels, though!

brubeck
07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
I have the Chicco and it is not awful at all, it is wonderful! Some people don't like the gap between the edge of the tray and the baby but it works perfectly with the Baby Bjorn bib (also an excellent product).

If I had to buy another high chair I would buy the Chicco again. In a heartbeat. But I don't have to buy another one because the Chicco I have been using for 2+ years is still going strong for Baby #2.

Marisa6826
07-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I have the Baby Trend and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I recently got the new khaki and green one.

The only drawback is the fabric seat, but my grand scheme is to use a bath towel, cut holes for the straps and crotch post and viola!

I heard that the new vinyl seat is coming in September also.

I say go for it!

-m

LucyG
07-09-2003, 01:44 PM
We have the Baby Trend (khaki gingham), and like it very much. Granted, dd just sits in it right now while we eat supper, but it seems very comfortable, and she is happy in it. I also like the fact that it can stand on its own (doesn't have to lean on something) when you fold it. Very handy for saving space in the kitchen. You can order a vinyl cover from Baby Trend if you get one with a cloth seat.

trumansmom
07-09-2003, 04:00 PM
I second everything she said! I love love love my Chicco! Truman has been using it for over a year now (where did the time go?!), and it still looks great. The Baby Bjorn bib is a must, though. But I would recommend it regardless of the high chair you decide to get.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

lukkykatt
07-10-2003, 09:38 AM
I have the Chicco too, and love it! We are now using it with our second child. It is not awful in any way - I would buy it again in a minute.

Two of my close friends have the Pappa, and they prefer my Mamma. The seat of the Mamma is wider, and it does not have to be unscrewed to be taken apart for cleaning like the Pappa does. It also has a very simple fold, with just the push of the buttons.

My advice is to wait until your baby is ready for a high chair and go to BRU to try out the ones you are looking at. The size of your child can dramatically impact which seat will work the best for you.

TraciG
07-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Baby Barbains says the best high chair is the Healthy Care Deluxe hight chair by fisher price,it's between $85 - 90. I haven't used it because my baby isn't due until November but I plan on buying it or registering for it. Also the deluxe is all vinyl so easy clean up !

stillplayswithbarbies
07-10-2003, 02:50 PM
The FP Healthy Care Deluxe is on sale at most places for $55-$60 now. There are two versions, one with a ruffle and one without. The one without a ruffle is sold only at Target. They are the same, other than the pattern and the ruffle. People say the ruffle is hard to clean.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jlazx2
07-10-2003, 11:31 PM
I have the baby trend & my dd is almost 13 months now. I really like it & the cover has not faded yet. I love how close the tray gets to the baby & this eliminates a lot of spills & mess so the cover does not get too bad. My vinyl Cosco was much worse in cleaning ( I had the horrible cosco options that the fields gave an F due to the safety issues). I saw the new version & there is a removable tray top & the tray guard issues has now been fixed even better.

luvbeinmama
07-11-2003, 12:19 AM
I have the Baby Trend and love it. Haven't really washed the cover yet, though as DD is just starting to eat solids. Call me crazy, but I bought it because of the cloth. I MUCH prefer something I can throw in the wash to vinyl. I never can get the crumbs out of the corners on vinyl stuff, and I just HATE that! I think if I was stuck with vinyl, I would make a cloth cover for it. I'm the same way with bibs. I much prefer cloth to vinyl.

smomom
07-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Be sure to check the tray removal mechanism of the FP chair. I tried out several floor models and never could find one in which I could remove the tray with only one hand. I don't know if the Fields addressed that in their comments - or if others have found it to be true. You'll find that 99% of the time one hand will be tied up holding the baby on your hip, so to me a one-hand tray release was a must.

I ended up with the Pappa and absolutely love it. I must qualify that by saying I've never used another high chair - but I have nothing but positives to say about it. I did buy car seat covers to cover the straps. It's must easier to throw those in the wash than clean the high chair straps.

Here's a link that in which I posted high chair features that I thought were important.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/1240.html

kransden
07-11-2003, 09:04 AM
I have the Pappa and it works really well for us. It is a little big for dd right now, but that just means she has room to grow. Dd is not a messy eater yet, I haven't had a clean up problem. I also like the fact it folds up nicely. We had planned on getting the Baby Trend one, but BRU was clearancing out the Pappas and I got a great deal.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

mam615
07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
I like the Pappa. I put a towel under Dorothy's tush so she can have easy access to the tray. Daily clean up isn't so bad. After 3 months of heavy use, including lots of sweet potato fights and Cheerio disappearances, I did a thorough cleaning the other day:

- took off the vinyl cover and sponge-washed it in my sink
- put a little soap & water in the seat and soaked the straps, which are not removable, then scrubbed a few spots with a toothbrush
- cleaned up some of the frame's nooks&crannies with a toothbrush
- wiped the whole thing down

This may sound like a lot, but it took about 20 minutes tops. And it looks like new!

I don't use the removable dinner tray much, but I love being able to fold it up so flat and wheel it around.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-14-2003, 12:50 PM
I have had no problems taking the tray off and on with one hand on the FP Healthy Care Deluxe.

You have to put your thumb on top of the tray and your fingers under it and push and hold the latch with your fingers. If you try to do the latch with your thumb instead, it doesn't really work out too well.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

naomi01
07-14-2003, 05:35 PM
I have the BT, in navy, and it is working out fine. Try buying a vinyl NOJO generic high chair cover, they come in many patterns. They fit the BT well, either with or without the original underneath. These covers wipe up, and go in the machine for really bad messes. I also use a towel under DS for now to lift him up.

vikivoly
07-17-2003, 11:54 PM
I agree with everything luvbeinmama said. I have the Baby Trend and I love it. I registered for it and received it as a shower gift. I didn't use it until DD was 6 months old and was considering returning it before I used it. (Mostly because I wanted the Zooper chair.) I'm so glad I kept it and wished I had started using it sooner.

MelissaTC
07-26-2003, 08:55 PM
We have the Fisher Price Healthy chair and love it. I have put DS in other chairs at playgroup meetings - Primma Pappa, Evenflo, Graco- and it is the only chair where he can reach the tray. It is a breeze to clean, even with the ruffle. I received mine last year so it doesn't have wheels...but we love it. We were leaning towards the Primma Pappa and now knowing what I do, I am so glad we chose the FP. Matthew wouldn't be able to eat otherwise!!