PDA

View Full Version : Life after the bouncer seat?

Marisa6826
07-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Well I caught Sophie sitting up in her bouncer and looking over the side yesterday. I guess that's the end of the bouncer seat. I'm afraid that she's gong to tip it.

What's the next step? I looked online at BRU and they have these little bouncer/rocker deals. However, in the reviews it seems that they tip very easily.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000070IW0/qid=1057964781/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7070187-2218456?v=glance&s=baby

The Combi one looks cool, but the weight limit is 25 lbs. and it's sick expensive. Although I do have BBB coupons!

We have the ultrasaucer, but she gets bored and/or overwhelmed by it after a while. I also tried sticking her in the highchair, but then she thinks she's going to eat...

I liked being able to stick her in the bouncer for a few minutes while emptying the dishwasher, etc.

Any suggestions?

-m

DCmommy
07-11-2003, 10:22 PM
We're just about at the same stage with DS and his bouncer, and I think we're just going to have to open up the pack n' play semi-permanently as a "mommy needs to use the bathroom/take a shower/empty the dishwasher/have two mintues of sanity" device where I know DS will be safe by himself for a few minutes.

I think the bouncer/rockers do tip easily, but the bigger problem is that your DD probably won't like being strapped in for very much longer and would much prefer at least a little mobility, which I think only the pack n'play can provide safely. If you have one, it's worth a try!

Good luck!

Marisa6826
07-12-2003, 11:55 AM
We already "do" the PnP. She prefers being in an upright position though (she can't sit up completely by herself yet).

I'm thinking that I might do the Combi rocker. Sick expensive, but it will go to 25 lbs. and she can use it as a little chair for herself as she gets older.

-m

Momof3Labs
07-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Marisa,

Can you prop Sophie up using the Boppy in the PNP? I wouldn't leave her that way for long, but that would give you bathroom trips.

Wish I had better advice - we used the exersaucer and the PNP to "park" Colin at this age. The high chair worked, too, but now it is just for eating.

Is the Combi rocker safe for a baby her age at her mobility level, or does it carry the same risks as the bouncy chair?

daisymommy
07-12-2003, 02:53 PM
I knew Josh was too big for the FP Kick and Play bouncer when it was tilted back alomost to the floor because he was so heavy, and he was sitting up leaning over the edge. We got him the FP infant to toddler rocker. He still uses it to this day, and he's 11 months. It has a kick stand to stabalize it, the back can recline or go to fully upright, and it is heavier than a bouncer and less likely to tip over. Best of all it was only $30 at BRU or Target, and a toddler can use at as a kids chair when they are older to sit and read in. It was the perfect in between stage chair for us.
HTH,

Marisa6826
07-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Amy-

I saw that one, but a lot of the reviews said that it tips over when the baby reaches FORWARD, which is something Sophie likes to do. The thing I liked about the Combi is that it has a five point harness (unlike the little bottom only one on the FP).

As far as trying the Boppy, Sophie still falls forward, so it doesn't work. For some reason she refuses to put her arms out to prop herself up!

I think I'm going to have to research these little seats in person, because I can't get a good idea of them online.

-m

daisymommy
07-13-2003, 08:20 PM
The rocker does tip forward if you don't put the front kickstand out. But with kickstand, I'd say it's very stable! I have both the new and older style FP rocker, and I would say that I much prefer the newer one (blue jungle print) to the older ones (farm animal or red/purple designs) that you see on Ebay. The back rest is adjustable to two positions in the newer one, along with the kickstand making it sit more upright or laid back is like 4 recline positions. I think it's more versatile that way.
HTH,

Marisa6826
07-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Well we gave into the whim and bought the Combi last night. It's very cool, although I don't know what rocket scientist created the strap system! Talk about a pain!

We had Sophie in it for a little while this morning and it seems like it will work OK, although I do like the simplicity of the K&P a lot better.

She seems so much *older* in this new one :(

-m

cinrein
07-14-2003, 01:12 PM
I know just what you mean. I wanted to cry when I saw Anna sitting in her convertible car seat for the first time. She looked like such a big girl! No more infant seat....no more infant. :(

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03