PDA

View Full Version : Is this Kettrike tricycle deal a good one?

MelissaTC
07-18-2003, 07:38 AM
We were going to get this for Matthew for Christmas but I saw this in the One Step Ahead catalog and it seems almost too good to be true. It says it includes the push bar and safety belt. What do you all think??

http://onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=67755&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C3%2C130%2C132&KickerID=84130&KICKER

egoldber
07-18-2003, 07:48 AM
If you do a search on Kettler in this forum, you should get several hits. I think the consensus on this is that it's an OK deal, but not a fantastic bargain. This is similar to a Kettler Combi, and if you buy the pieces and parts separateky, you get a similar price.

From my experience with Kettler trikes, I would try to find a place that has them and let your DS try them for "size".

HTH,

nigele
07-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Melissa,

I was almost set on this trike until I called Kettler to ask about it. For one thing, Kettler does not stock spare parts for this special edition and would have to order them from Germany, which they claim can take weeks. Also, OSA warranties the trike, not Kettler. OSA offers a one year warranty. Kettlers have a three year warranty.

If you look at Abrakidabra or Learning Express in Cary, take a look at the "Junior" trike. The OSA special edition is actually this bike frame with all of the extras. You'll see the seat is quite small and that is one of the main reasons I passed on buying it. It wouldn't hold up Tom as well as other models' seats even with the seat belt (it seemed like he would slide down it.) Anyway, I went with the Jumbo Kettler and it is great. Come on over and you can give it a try!

MelissaTC
07-18-2003, 09:44 AM
Like I said, it seemed almost too good to be true. Oh well. I did see one at Learning Express that Patrick and I liked. That was the one we were leaning towards. I received this catalog and was just wondering about the one listed there. No biggie. Thanks so much! We just may stop by to try yours out Lisa!

sugarsnappea
07-18-2003, 09:46 AM
I echo what the others have said. Buy from an authorized Kettler dealer to get the better warranty and try before you buy. I originally thought the OSA was the Combi but it is actually different. If you like the look of the OSA model, go to a Right Start or Zainy Brainy and try out the Combi. They are $99 on sale right now. I have the Combi and love it. It comes with a seatbelt, pushbar but it does not have the brakes. This wasn't important to me because my DD can pedal but it may be to you. Also, the Combi is a larger trike. My DD is an average sized 2 year old and just fits the smallest size adjustment. Good Luck. Hope this helps! :)

nigele
07-21-2003, 05:49 PM
We looked at the Combi but it doesn't have the parent lock feature so when you are pushing the trike, your child can steer the handle bar and you are at his mercy! If you want to turn right and the child is turning the bar left, you have to drive it on the back wheels. It seemed like a huge hassle to me.

Melissa - just let me know when you want to come by!!