PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like Discovery Toys?

smomom
07-21-2003, 03:57 PM
A friend is having a Discovery Toy party this weekend. I can’t make it, but will most likely place an order from her. Since I can’t be there to see the toys IRL, does anyone have a favorite Discovery toy they would recommend? DS is almost 9 months now.

Thanks!

August Mom
07-21-2003, 04:39 PM
The stacking cups are really nice and they are accurate in volume (i.e. the 1 cup plus the 2 cup equals the 3 cup). I don't have one, but some of my friends like the Super Yummy Teether. It has several different textures.

colleenfs
07-21-2003, 06:55 PM
There's a cool little ball that is a real hit. It's light blue and looks like it has little spikes all over, but it's soft, and it makes a noise when you squeeze it. And I second the cups. They are a classic.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

egoldber
07-21-2003, 07:20 PM
I think the Discovery Toys are all really nice. But, IMO, very similar toys are usually available elsewhere cheaper. I liked to have their catalog and then look for other toys that were similar at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Baby Depot.

But if you like something and want it, it will probably be a hit.

HTH,

August Mom
07-21-2003, 09:01 PM
I think it smells like vanilla too. I'm not sure what it's called, though. The kids at playgroup seem to like it.

AngelaS
07-22-2003, 06:38 AM
I love buying my Discovry Toys at garage sales. :) Our favorites are the ball (got it for a quarter!), the Hide Inside, the Fascination Station, and the stacking cups. My dd is 14 months and the Fascination Station is probably her favorite.

sarasprings
07-22-2003, 04:25 PM
We have received a handful of discovery toys -- my SIL sells them, so we get them from her and my MIL for gifts. DS loved the cloth cube with the rabbit, duck, flower, etc inside. Unfortunately, that's the only toy he bonded with. The boat teether, duck walker, and the stacking station -- all bombs. We were recently given the H2Otis for ds's birthday, which I'm sure he will enjoy.

One thing I don't like about the toys is that so much is plastic, they are more expensive than what one could get at marshalls or tj maxx, and everything I've seen is primary colors.

I appreciate that SAHMs have an opportunity to sell toys, but most of the toys we received were not hits. Of course, it could have more to do with the choices made my my ILs.

wendmatt
07-23-2003, 02:40 AM
my 8 mth dd loves the cups. you could get them cheaper elsewhere but if you're going to order something as it's a friend, I highly rec. them, she crawls around carrying one or two and sings into them!

MinnieMouse
07-24-2003, 08:42 AM
We get invited to a DT party every November. We've had some hits and some misses. We've gone for two years now...dd just turned 2yo this week.

High Chair Toy - ...While dd liked it, it did NOT stay suctioned to the tray...so there was little use for it.

Stacking Cups (Measure Up Cups)- DD LOVES these and mommy does too. The educator in me LOVES the fact that they are mathematically correct. Dd loves using them...all in different ways as she gets older. First putting stuff in and out, stacking them on top of each other, figuring out how to nest them all in size order, playing with the little stamps on the bottoms w/ her Play Doh, etc. I'm sure as she gets older we will have tons more uses for them. If nothing else I label this one item a MUST BUY...and they aren't that expensive either.

Fascination Station - This was a bit pricier but dd does enjoy it. I do not rate this as a must buy, but if you think your child would like it in the long run...go for it. Dd couldn't leave it alone at the DT party when she was 14mo...and still plays w/ it from time to time.

Stacking Trucks...for want of a better label. This is another must buy, at least for us. They are three dump trucks, in decending size that stack in each other. They all have little motors in them that activate when you push down and push out. Dd has played w/ these since we got them at 14mo and still plays w/ them 2-4x a week. Usually we have a session on the kitchen floor where they run the best. Me or dh sitting on one side, dd on the other revving the trucks back and forth to each other. She just squeals w/ delight. :-)

That's my 2cents. While there are MANY toys from DT that are available in stores for less money...there are some items like the stacking cups that I feel are exclusive enough to get from them directly.

HTH

Christine

jvorhis
07-24-2003, 09:20 AM
They are ok but WAY OVER PRICED!

ScrapNancy
07-25-2003, 04:08 PM
My dd, 11 weeks old, *adores* her Chiming Charlie we received as a gift from my aunt. It is an octopus with a chiming rattle in his head, big smiley face, crinkly collar and different color and texture fabric legs. She smiles at him, "talks" to him and squeezes him, etc. It is the only one of her many toys that gets anywhere near this much reaction!

ScrapNancy, SAHM to Bridget Rose, 5-9-03

oneild
07-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi,

I had purchased some toys for my now 13 year old son. I kept them and now have introduced them to my 8 month old girl. At the time they had the coolest rattle. I have never seen anything like it - you flip it and the small colored beads fall to the other side like an hourglass. Very cool! It was a bit on the pricey side, but 13 years later it is still fascinating adults and babies alike. Money well spent! Although she's a little young for the sorting farm-style house, she loves to put the shapes and pieces in her shopping cart, and her mouth!

Anyways, I don't know anyone that sells these toys. I'd be interested in looking through a catalog. Let me know if you can get me one... or better yet, a website?

Danielle

August Mom
07-30-2003, 10:01 PM
I believe that's called the Rainfall Rattle. There is a website, but you can't see all the toys there. However, you can find a representative in your area. http://www.discoverytoysinc.com/

egoldber
07-30-2003, 10:09 PM
FYI, Gymboree sells a rattle that is virtually identical to this. It is $10 and is available at most all Gymboree retail stores.

HTH,