PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Toys?

agomalley
07-28-2003, 10:31 AM
What is the best way to clean toys? My DS, Ryan, is just now starting to put things in his mouth. What do you use to wipe down the plastic toys? A lot of the directions say water and mild soap. Do you use dish soap? I've seen those toy sterilizers, but I'd rather not fork out the money for one. Thanks, Anabelle

brubeck
07-28-2003, 12:32 PM
I often wipe down big toys with a Clorox anti-bacterial wipe. Smaller ones go in the dishwasher. Some plush toys can go in the laundry machine.

lisams
07-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm always hesitant to use any toxic cleaner (most on the store shelves are) on something my DD will put in her mouth, so I usully just use hand soap and warm water and then rinse them real good. If it's something that I think needs to be disinfected, I wipe it with an alcohol towelette and then rinse it with water and soap. I usually only clean her toys before and after play group has been at our house and if she is sick.

HTH!
Lisa

SeekerMage
07-28-2003, 11:47 PM
In daycare we spray everything down with a water and bleach solution...about 10 to 20% bleach and water...then let it air dry. Supposedly the bleach evaporates etc....and I never really noticed a bleach smell on them. This was the regulated way to clean as per the state so it must work...personally Im not to fond of this route and prefer lysol. A quick wash and a good rinse then air dry, plush in the washing machine and small in the dish washer if you have one. As for sterilizing them....I personally dont think its necessary...just a good wash everyonce and a while especially if there is a bit of spit up, etc on them. I personally think that some germs are good...if you get rid of all the germs you are also getting rid of the good germs that kill off the bad ones. Kind of like if you are on an antibiotic you can still get a cold or other kind of sickness because you have killed off all the good and bad germs...so some are good. Just my opinion though. :)

AngelaS
07-29-2003, 06:46 AM
If it's just dd chewing on her toys, I don't clean them all that often. When I do wash them I just wash them in the sink in soapy water.

I oversee our church nursery too. There we spray all the toys with a solution of 1 T Bleach to 1 Q water. I spray them all and then dry them a bit with a towel and then let them completely air dry.