PDA

View Full Version : help with exersaucer

etwahl
07-29-2003, 04:47 PM
we got the evenflo portable one...but just hada couple questions:

- why are only her toes supposed to touch?
- should we have a towel in there? she's only 4.5 months. how do we use the towel to support her?

also, if she's only supposed to be on her toes, what's the reason...i ask because we ALWAYS stand her up on her feet (she does it, she has strong legs and I was wondering if we maybe weren't supposed to be doing that?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Marisa6826
07-29-2003, 04:51 PM
We were told by our ped (and other parents) that Sophie's entire foot is supposed to be on the bottom. That way it won't encourage tippy toe walking. A towel is good for traction on the bottom if she's wearing socks.

As far as putting something behind her back, try a roll of toilet paper or paper towels in the beginning. It only took Sophie about five or six tries before she figured out how to balance herself in there.

Good luck!

-m

peanut4us
07-29-2003, 08:05 PM
I had heard that it might damage her feet when she got to the bouncing if her whole foot was touching... I'm not sure I buy into that. In any case, we use a folded diaper cloth in front of her, and that seems to be all the support she needs.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-29-2003, 10:06 PM
I have noticed that with her whole foot on the floor, she can launch herself up too far and fall into the toys. That's how I noticed it was time to move it up.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

cinrein
07-30-2003, 06:42 AM
I think Karen is right--I thought the same thing. Evenflo has good customer service though, maybe I should call and ask. The King and Queen toy didn't play any music on the one we got and they sent me another ASAP.

I think the towel/diaper is just to help baby stand up straight. Anna really leaned forward in it the first few times she was in it, but figured out how to right herself pretty quick.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Logan loves the King and Queen. :) When she makes them play music, I say "the king and queen are singing to you".

I remember someone saying something about the jester toy popping back and hurting their baby and Evenflo replaced it for them, was there an actual recall on that, does anyone remember? It does seem really hard and she likes to bend it down and chew on the top of it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Marisa6826
07-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Sophie chews on that one all the time, too. We haven't had any problems, but I have thought about it hitting her eye. The edges aren't really sharp though.

Her favourite is the guy in the orange barn! She also just figured out how to hit the little round light up thing hard enough to play the music. :)

The king and queen only play ONE song and then it stops on mine. The box says it does something like 20 songs. Is mine broken or am I missing something?

-m

stillplayswithbarbies
07-30-2003, 10:40 AM
It plays once and then stops, but each time it is a different song, yes? There must be 20 altogether.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Marisa6826
07-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Nope. Same song over and over. Can't think of what it is, offhand, though.

-m

stillplayswithbarbies
07-30-2003, 09:33 PM
I think yours is broken.

just tonight we have heard:
Doe a Dear
You Are My Sunshine
Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf
I Wish I were A Little Bar Of Soap
This Is The Way We Wash Our Hands

and some I don't recognize

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

cinrein
07-31-2003, 07:40 AM
It should play 1 song then stop. It should play a new song once you swat at it. There are a ton of songs.

Ours played no songs, just lit up with the freaky red lights. I called Evenflo's customer service and she had to make sure I had the switch flipped on (duh) and walk me though it. Once the rep was convinced that it didn't work, they sent me a new one for free. The songs are cute and the music doesn't annoy me, so I'd call and get another King/Queen. Anna likes it when she can make them "sing".

Anna loves to chew on the flag thing. The first toy she mastered was that ball that spins around with smaller colored balls inside it. Now she loves to chew on the flag while fingering the other toys. When she's not in the saucer and I'm holding her in the same room, all she does it look longingly at the saucer and lust after the toys!

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

Marisa6826
07-31-2003, 08:42 AM
It was only playing the Muffin Man song. I didn't know you had to "swat" it. I got it to play other music!

So since it was broken, I always had it turned off. Should I leave it in the "on" position all the time now? Are there batteries I need to worry about?

Thanks!

-m

nofeea
07-31-2003, 11:09 AM
Hi- I'm the one who wrote about the jester popping back and hitting DD above the eye. First time it happened I thought it was a fluke. Second time, I took it out! (She shrieked and got a red bump above her eye. It disappeared after about an hour but it was not fun. :( )
Customer service was great when I e-mailed the company, though. They not only wrote back but called me and then sent me an extra flag toy instead (I'd have liked a different toy but they said that previous models had different attachments and no other toys would fit.) Despite that little incident DD has gotten great use out of the ultrasaucer. It definitely gives Mommy and Daddy a much needed break! Now that she crawls and pulls up to standing it's the only place we can put her down for a few minutes without worrying that she'll hurt herself.

(BTW, we leave the music in the 'on' position. It only plays the music when dd plays with it anyway.)

peanut4us
07-31-2003, 04:45 PM
there's a rather funny syncopated version of the itsy bitsy spider. It took me forever to figure that one out.

KimberleyDawn
08-01-2003, 10:03 AM
William LOVES chewing on it and it has hit him in the face a couple of times so it has now been removed. All in all I LOVE this saucer because William loves it so much. He does stand with his full foot touching and we have already raised it once and I was wondering if it might even need to be raised again. Does anyone else have a problem when trying to fold it for travel?

Question for Nofeea:
Did you call or e-mail Evenflo about the Jester problem?

Kim

nofeea
08-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Hi- Sorry to hear that your little one was hurt too! I e-mailed them and they wrote back and then called me also to get more details. They said that they were forwarding the info to their engineering department but I don't think there was a recall. You should definitely write or call them if you want your toy replaced. On the plus side, they were really very responsive.
Good Luck!

(I e-mailed the above to you in response to your e-mail to me. Now, to answer the rest of your questions....)

1- It says on the saucer not to let Baby stand flat-footed, so it's probably time for you to raise it again. (DD is 8 mos. old and already on the highest level. I'll really be sorry when she outgrows it :( )

2-DH is in charge of folding it. The first time it was really tough to figure out but I think after that it became easier.

Marisa6826
08-01-2003, 02:18 PM
I had a really hard time folding it the first time (took me almost ten minutes to figure it out). The second time was easier since I knew what I was doing a little better.

You have to push down on the release tabs REALLY hard. It will make a popping sound and then tilt the leg a little till you've worked your way around to all three legs.

At that point you can fold it completely.

Good luck

-m