PDA

View Full Version : Highchair or Not? Dilemma

bandd627
08-05-2003, 06:40 PM
Hello!

DH and I don't use a dining room table to eat at, we sit at a "bar", an island in our kitchen for all of our meals. My question is, has anyone every skipped the highchair all together and opted for a booster type highchair attached to a barstool? (something that strikes fear in my heart) Or has anyone used a chair you attach to the table instead?

Do highchairs go a bit higher to use when you are sitting at a kitchen island?

****BTW, we are adopting and our daughter will be about 9 months old when we bring her home, so we won't need anything for a very small infant.

I need help!

Denise

sntm
08-06-2003, 10:32 AM
friends of ours used a chair attached to their kitchen bar successfully. ckeck out inglesinsa

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

emilyf
08-06-2003, 04:53 PM
We use the Inglesina hook-on seat instead of a high chair and it has been great so far.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Fireman_Dad
08-06-2003, 11:03 PM
We use one of the booster seats that has the tray and attaches to a normal kitchen chair. We used a high chair for a few months but found the booster easier to clean, taking up less kitchen space, and way easier to feed tke little one since we can now sit at the table and feed him. IF I was in the barstool situation I would get a stool with a normal "back on it" to attach the booster to. The stool should be as stable as a normal chair other than the higher center of gravity.

cara1
08-07-2003, 01:18 PM
We use the First Years Reclining 4 in 1 Feeding Seat attached to our regular kitchen chair. I wouldn't attach it to a stool, but if you have high bar "stools" that are really chairs, it would probably be fine. But I would worry a bit more about it tipping. You'd just have to try it out and see.

C99
08-07-2003, 09:55 PM
>We use the First Years Reclining 4 in 1 Feeding Seat
>attached to our regular kitchen chair. I wouldn't attach it
>to a stool, but if you have high bar "stools" that are
>really chairs, it would probably be fine. But I would worry
>a bit more about it tipping. You'd just have to try it out
>and see.

Right now, we're using one of these as well. Our high chair is getting delivered this weekend (it's wooden, a gift, not our choice), so we'll see how that goes but I have a feeling that we'll be using the plastic strap-on one most of the time!

bandd627
08-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Thank you to all for your suggestions. I have decided to get the inglesina hook-on chair and then a Tiny Diner for her to use on the island. Have you guys seen the Tiny Diner? It's great!

I just don't feel comfortable putting her up on a high barstool with a booster, even with a back. I know it would probably be okay, but I'm a nervous first-time mommy:-)

Denise

momentofclarity
08-08-2003, 04:35 PM
What is a Tiny Diner? Is it online anywhere where I could take a look?

Also, my bro&sis-in-law have the me too seat & it's great.

Good luck!
Lucy