PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of opened formula

hellokitty1
08-09-2003, 08:56 AM
I need to see if my breast milk is what is causing my EBF DD to have a BM problem so I want to give DD a bottle of formula to see if her BM is any different (working with ped, of course). I previouly opened a can of powdered formula and I noticed on it that it says to use the can up within one month of opening. I opened it on June 9. Do you think I could still use it? It's been stored room temperature. I know it says one month but you know, sometimes these companies are extra conservative and in turn, they get more money from you bc you have to buy more often, kind of the shampoo instructions that say "Lather, rinse, repeat" and yet you really do not need to repeat"

TIA

egoldber
08-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Well, this is a little different. Formula is regulated by the FDA. They need to have submitted data to the agency that shows that their formula is safe to use for the shelf life they have stated on the can. While it is "may" be safe to use past the labeled shelf life, there is no real way to know. Personally, I wouldn't do it, especially if you are already having intestinal issues.

HTH,

JElaineB
08-10-2003, 02:17 PM
I would agree with Beth. I don't mess around with formula storage. I keep it only as long as the manufacturer has stated and do not use it past the expiration date or too long after it has been opened (1 month for powdered, 48 hours in fridge for prepared liquid, 1 hour after he first drinks from bottle or up to 2 hours max at room temp).

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kristine_elen
08-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Is your daughter constipated? I can't imagine breastmilk would be the cause; it's a natural laxative. (I agree w/previous posters on not risking using the can, although I agree companies might just be being extra cautious. Better safe than sorry, though!) Good luck!