PDA

View Full Version : Gertie Ball?

kfcboston
08-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Burton White suggests a gertie ball as a good toy for a 5-8 month old baby to play with. Can anyone recommend one, or has anyone used one? If you like it, where'd you get it? Thanks!

egoldber
08-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Sarah adores these. They were also popular with several babies in Asheville. :)

I got two at Imaginarium, but they are available a lot of places and on-line. Here is one link:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/farmgoods/gertieballs.html

HTH,

kfcboston
08-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Great info! It certainly appears that I have to buy the pump as well. Wondering.....I saw somewhere that you can blow it up different amounts depending on how hard or soft you want the ball to be? Also, any thoughts on which would be best for a younger baby like mine? I'm just a little curious based on the age recommendation on this link. I like the look of the nobbie ones.... Thanks!!

egoldber
08-10-2003, 08:40 PM
I have an original and a nobbie and she likes them both. I think the age range is based on the fact that the "valve" probably could get pulled out and would then be a choking hazard. Sarah has played with them (upsupervised) since she was tiny and we've never had a problem, but you need to use your own judgment.

I wouldn't bother with a pump, they are very easy to inflate with the little "straw" that they include in the box.

HTH,

August Mom
08-10-2003, 09:36 PM
We got one at a locally-owned toy store and DS loves it. He carries it around with both hands or just 1 hand, kicks it, bounces it and rolls it. It's really great. For now, I left it a bit soft so it's easier to hold. The texture of the ball also makes for better grasping than other balls. It was easy to inflate with the included straw. I saw similar balls at Gymboree with the bubbles and other toys by the TV in my store. HTH

nigele
08-11-2003, 10:49 AM
We have the Nobby Gertie Ball and Tom loves it. We call it the "ball of many nipples" since he used to just grab it and put his mouth around the nobs. LOL! We bought it at a local toy store.

peanut4us
08-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks so much for posting a link. I had absolutely NO idea what on earth a gertie ball was!

houseof3boys
08-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Cool. I have saved it in my TBP (to be purchased) toy file!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-11-2003, 05:54 PM
I did better than that, I ordered four of them!

It wasn't just the babies at Asheville that liked them, some mommies did too!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Karenn
08-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Help! I don't get it! What makes this ball different from other balls? Why is it special? You all are raving about it, so I know there must be something about it! :) Is it just the texture? Colin has a bunch of balls and loves everyone of them. Will his life be incomplete without a gertie ball? ;)

egoldber
08-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Haven't you heard about the studies linking Gertie ball use to higher IQs????? :) ;)

They are nice for younger babies because they can be inflated to a degree that lets a younger baby hold onto them and enjoy them. For an older child, the appeal may not be there. But Sarah still enjoys hers.

Karenn
08-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Ahhh! Okay, I get it now! So I'm thinking Colin will probably we OK with the $1.49 grocery store ball. That shouldn't mess up his chances at Harvard should it? ;)

LisaMom2Allie
08-12-2003, 11:44 PM
I bought one for my 2yo nephew last year and he really liked it. He could catch the ball better due to its soft texture it is better for little hands to grab. They are also very soft and can be played with inside. I am going to have to go get one for Allie.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

kfcboston
09-29-2003, 05:25 PM
So, based on the raves reviews posted here, I bought a nobbie gertie ball at the link Beth posted. However, DS is just getting into his now. DH was watching him play with it last night, and he thereafter deemed it "the nipple ball". I had to LOL.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-03-2003, 10:45 PM
yes, that is what we call ours too! It's funny to watch her play with it, she uses both hands and both feet like a little monkey.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

suz
10-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Gymboree gym sells the nobbly ($6) and regular ones ($5) too. I was so excited when I saw it. They sell the regular one online. DD gets really excited when I start bouncing it.