PDA

View Full Version : monitor for use with 900 MHz phone

momentofclarity
08-11-2003, 07:43 AM
I love the reviews of the Phillips monitors, but they're all 900 MHz. We have 2 900 MHz portable phones. So here are my questions:

1. Will a 900 MHz monitor definitely interfere with the phones and vice versa?

2. Should we get a lower MHz monitor?

3. What about the monitors that boast "24 channels"? Will that solve the interference issue?

I know that the best way to research this is to buy and try monitors, but I thought I should look to this board for advice first.

Thanks! :)
Lucy

houseof3boys
08-11-2003, 09:35 AM
I'll piggyback on this question Lucy (hope you don't mind) since we are about to move DS to his room and would like a monitor. What about DSL? We have dsl filters on our 900 Mhz phones right now because of interference so how does a baby monitor affect that?

TIA

amyinNC
08-12-2003, 08:43 AM
I have 900 MHz phones and a monitor and have not noticed any interference. From what I've heard, you just need to try out the monitors in your house to see how well they work. We had a hand me down (first years model - several years old) that worked fine before we bought the 900 MHz vibration monitor (I wanted the vibration feature for my hearing impared mom to babysit).

We have tons of electronic equipment at our house and the nursery is not close to the living areas of the house - so I was surprised that both monitors worked well.

Not sure about the DSL question... both my husband and I are connected through a router placed between our offices. He doesn't have a cordless phone on the line that shares with the DSL - but I can't imagine it would affect it since it doesn't impact our other lines.

Hope that helps!
Amy

momentofclarity
08-12-2003, 09:50 AM
That does help! Guess I'll start looking for those Phillips monitors again. I had just about ruled them out because of the 900 MHz issue.

Thanks!
Lucy

flagger
08-12-2003, 09:58 AM
> What about DSL? We have dsl filters on our 900 Mhz phones right now because of interference so how does a baby monitor affect that?

TIA

It should have no affect whatsoever. You need DSL filters on any line you have a regular phone plugged into whether they are corded, cordless or for a fax machine. The only line without a filter should be the one from the wall straight into the router or modem.

A baby monitor "should" not affect DSL at all.

HTH

dogmom
08-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Also many of the monitors come with two channels. My 900 MHz Fisher Price one has interference with my upstairs phone on channel A but not channel B. You could always get it at someplace with a good return policy and return it if it doesn't work well in your house.

JustMare
08-12-2003, 04:38 PM
I have the same concerns with the 900 MHz monitors, plus I live in an apartment building.

I plan on going with the new First Years Clear & Near 2.4 GHz monitor.
It offers:

-Range up to 1,500 feet
-move around and stay connected with your baby
-Supersensitive sound
-Ultimate privacy & clarity
-No interference from 900 MHZ phones
-Parent unit pager, no more searching for lost receivers
-Belt clip on back makes unit easy to wear
-Offers 2 channels to maximize clarity
-3 "AAA" rechargable batteries included

http://www.netkidswear.com/clne24ghzmib.html

If anyone has this monitor, I'd love to hear your comments!

KMommie
08-13-2003, 12:39 AM
I really think you need to try it and see. Definitely buy from a store with a good return policy. We had all kinds of interference with our 900 MHz Sony Baby Call, every time our cordless phone would ring, the Baby call would give off this static feedback, and we wouldn't be able to hear DD. We couldn't go up to a 2.4 GHz monitor because of our wireless network, or some sort of electronic stuff, DH has. So we are on the old fashioned 49MHz FP Sounds N Lights, which pops and squeals, but other than that doesn't interfere with our electronics---although, from time to time we can hear our neighbor.

There are so many variables, your electronics, how close your neighbors are, etc. What works well for one, may not for another. My ILs who live 5 minutes away, use the Sony Baby Call without any problems, they love it. MIL uses it when my nephew stays over, and to hear her washing machine and dryer beep when it's done.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03