PDA

View Full Version : Which bottle is BEST Playtex Vent Aire, Dr. Brown or Avent ??

TraciG
08-13-2003, 10:46 PM
I would like to know your experiences with any of these bottle. I would like to add one of them to my registry or two of them, I know it's hard until you see which one the baby will take but I would like to be prepared & have some at home, I am hoping to breastfeed.

heidi_timms
08-13-2003, 11:06 PM
Different people prefer different bottles. We love our Ventaires. I get the same amount of spit-up with the bottles as I do with BFing, so it must reduce the gas because there isn't more spit-up with the bottles.

The only other bottle that we have tried is the Playtex Disposable system. It was hard to get the air out of the baggy-there must be a trick to that! I gave up on those.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

luvbeinmama
08-14-2003, 12:07 AM
I've used the VentAire and Avent, and I like them equally as far as ease of feeding. However, the Avents are easier to clean for a couple reasons:

1) the inside of the Avent bottle is smooth; the VentAire has little nooks & crannies that are moulded on the inside as well as the outside;

2) the removeable bottoms of the VentAire are an added extra step or two when washing.

However, a con for the Avent is that those wide nipples do not fit in those great little dishwasher baskets (at least the generic ones, I don't know if Avent makes one, I don't remember seeing one by Avent).

I have not used Dr Brown, but they look way too complicated to clean for me to even consider those.

I think a lot depends on: 1) how soon you introduce the bottle; 2) how often you use the bottle; and 3) the baby's preference for nipples if you don't get them used to bottles soon enough (this is of concern for BF'd children). Since you are going to try BFing, I would get just a couple bottles, don't register for a lot.

Editted to add: I have one disposable, I don't bother getting all the air out, it just collapses as they drink. There is air in the reusables, I don't see a reason to "burp" the air out of the disposables. The disposables are even easier to clean because you really only need to clean the nipple and the ring. But there is the added expense of the bags. I use mine as backup and for trips.

HTH!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-14-2003, 10:05 AM
I love the Playtex disposables. I can pump directly into storage bags, freeze in them, and then feed in them. So easy! And all I have to wash is nipples.

She seems to like the silicone nipple on these the best. It keeps her mouth in the right position for latching on.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JLiebCamm
08-14-2003, 11:08 AM
After thoroughly researching on these boards last year, I decided on Avent bottles and registered for them. As would figure, my DS hates them, even now that he's older and better at switching between breast and bottle. His favorite bottles are the ones that I bought to screw onto my Pump-in-Style, which I originally thought would be for milk collection purposes only. So the bottom line (in my opinion)is to buy one of each type and see what your baby likes before stocking up.

christie699
08-15-2003, 08:44 AM
I have pumped excusively since DS was 2 weeks old - he's now 5 1/2 motnhs. My vote goes to Dr. Brown's. I tried Avent but DS got too much gas with them. Yes, Dr. Brown's have two additional parts to clean, but it only takes a second, it's no big deal. If you get the Dr. Brown's with the narrow neck, they are made to screw right into most pump flanges. It makes it easy to just screw them into my Medela Pump In Style and collect directly into the bottle. Once I've expressed the milk, I put in a couple of drops of Mylicon drops in and the bottle's good to go! DS has almost no gas or spit up - he's one very happy baby.

Christie
mom to Jadon 2/28/03

daisymommy
08-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to add that we use Avent bottles and the nipples fit in the bottle baskets fine for us. We have the blue Munckin baskets from Target (same price as store brands).

DS was so very gassy in the beginning with his Evenflo Ultra bottles, and the nipple kept collapsing in on itself (even though it says it won't!). We had to keep giving him Mylicon drops after every feeding. He also had reflux and colic pretty bad. We switched to Avent bottles and things got so much better. No more gas drops, and no more collapsed nipples. I think the spitting up cut back as well (which is saying alot for a reflux baby!). The colic improved some as well. I Love Avent!

babyparker
08-15-2003, 01:16 PM
I started off with Avent Bottles..then Dr. Brown's and finally ended up loving Playtex Ventaire. The reason is not necessarly the bottle but more the nipple. The avent nipples were too big and the formula just flowed out of them. The Dr. Brown's had the same problem. Then I used the Playtex and had no problems...The nipple is a great size..the flow just perfect. My daughter is 4 months old and I am still using the Stage One nipples because the other ones just bring the formula out way too fast and she ends up with milk all over her and gupling it too fast.

Whatever you do - Don't open and wash all the bottles that you receive - Just ry one and see how you and the baby like it. I have acabinet full of Avent and Dr. Brown's bottles that I have never used! Oh well...Lesson Learned !!!

Good Luck

oneild
08-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi,

Although I don't breastfeed, my husband, baby and I ultimately decided on the VentAire. Our baby is now 8 months old and we still use the Stage 1 nipples (Stage 2 is still too fast, unless we're adding cereal directly to the bottle).

I concur with the one reader that indicated the bottle neck was a little more difficult to clean than some of its competitors. We use the Munchkin bottle cleaner (it has a hidden brush that gets into the grooves very well). We also soak the parts in hot sudsy water before cleaning which seems to help (only for a few minutes).

On a positive note, you only have to boil these nipples once, then just wash in warm sudsy water thereafter.

I believe the VentAires work because you never see any air bubbles form in the bottle itself. Even my father-in-law always asks if our baby's getting anything cause he's so used to seeing bubbles being formed by other bottles he's used in the past. Also, our baby did not spit up at all (not even once) until she turned approximately 4 months.

Additionally, I think the VentAire bottles are easier for our baby to grab than some of the wider bottles. I also like the 6 oz. bottles a lot... you can get 7 oz. out of them if you fill it almost to the top (where the neck begins to curve). They were a bit easier for our baby to balance when she was first learning to hold her own bottle (I'm guessing cause they're a bit shorter).

Good luck with whatever system you choose. I agree with the readers that suggest you try a few different bottles with your infant. The nipple does seem to make a difference (we found this out when using the Playtex disposables).

Danielle

jal
08-28-2003, 01:28 PM
We choose Avent to suppliment BFing. Only thing we ever tried, never had to try anything else.

jd11365
08-28-2003, 08:07 PM
My advice is to register for several. DD wouldn't take a bottle after being exclusively breastfed, and we had to buy several types of bottles/nipples before we found one that worked. So, the cool Deluxe Avent set we got was a waste and we ended up spending a ton of money on different bottles. Register for a little bit of everything, that way you know exactly what will work and what to buy without having to waste your money on items that don't work.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

gatorgal99
08-28-2003, 08:27 PM
We had registered for Avent & the Evenflow Ultimate. Thanks heavens we had both, because when my milk came in during the night, I had to supplement. She was crying hysterically. My daughter didn't take to the Avent and threw up. I think the nipple gagged her. We then used the Evenflow and it worked perfectly.

Now that I'm done Breastfeeding, she uses the Evenflow. She burps just fine and we don't have any problems.

Every baby is different. It good to be prepared and not put all your eggs in one basket. You can always exchange the unopened bottles for whatever ends up working for you.

Lucy123
09-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Only your baby knows for sure!!! We tried Avent but DS didn't like them when we were BF and bottlefeeding. He liked the Ventaire, but they really are a hassle with all the pieces (never tried Dr. Brown's because of it). Both were good about cutting down gas. Now he is less picky about the bottle as he is exclusively breastfed, and I am trying to get him to use the avents again with some success - I have a ton (bought before I realized DS may not like them) and they are very easy to use. I also liked the cheap munchkin evenflo angled bottles, although sometimes if he was really hungry they made him a little gassy.

Good Luck!

Lucy & Ryan