PDA

View Full Version : No Space for Highchair

hwin708
08-22-2003, 07:43 PM
I am considering getting one of those small booster seat like chairs to use in lieu of a highchair at home. We tend to eat at the breakfast table in the kitchen, and there really is not enough room for a big highchair. Does anyone else use one of these? How do they work? Which is the best?
TIA!

deborah_r
08-23-2003, 06:40 PM
I don't have experience with any of them yet, but from someone's post about this topic a while back, I had made a note to myself that the Chicco Hippo Hook-On chair was a really good one; the kind that attaches to the table. I think that's what kind you mean but I'm not sure.

colleenfs
08-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Are you looking for a chair for an infant or for an older toddler? We have the 4-stage feeding seat by 1st Years -http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005LLQM/qid=1061684219/br=1-1/ref=br_lf_ba_1//103-6460437-2392664?v=glance&s=baby&n=547946. I bought it to use as a travel seat and for trips to Grammy's house. I was able to put Julia in it as an infant at 6 months when she first started to eat solids. It tips back for little babies and then lays flat for older children. At 19 months and 27 pounds, she still uses it when we travel.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

C99
08-23-2003, 07:57 PM
I have the First Years seat that Colleen mentions above and although we have a regular highchair, we still use the plasic one. It's just a better fit not only for Nate but also for our kitchen/lifestyle.

JLiebCamm
08-23-2003, 07:59 PM
I registered for both the 4-in-1 Feeding Seat and the FP Healthycare High Chair. I got out the Feeding seat first when my DS was 5 months and have continued to use it (he's now 8 months). It works so well for us that I've been tempted to return the high chair. The feeding seat takes up considerably less space and worked well in both a reclined and upright position. I thought I would prefer the stability of the high chair but it hasn't really been an issue. So until I can think of a reason to get my high chair out of the box, I would recommend the feeding seat!

Jessica
Mom to Nathan 12/20/02

luvbeinmama
08-23-2003, 11:52 PM
I have a friend who did that. I think she had the FP one above, but I'm not sure if that is the same one. It is about 3 years old now. She never did use a high chair and hasn't missed it. It's a fine alternative.

tbdw425
08-25-2003, 01:20 PM
We got one of the First Years portable. We have a tiny NYC apt. Do not even own a regular high chair and have never regretted the decision. We got the "portable" one, which is a little smaller, both in terms of the size of the chair and the tray (it also does not recline). If I had to do it again, I may have gotten the 4-in-1 with the large tray. The portable has also been great for taking along on visits. The best thing is the contraption only costs like $20 and fits virtually any chair. If you have a dishwasher (we do not), you can actually take the portable one apart and put in the dishwashwer for cleaning.

Summer baby
09-04-2003, 02:49 PM
We have used one -- they work fine but can be hard to clean because
crumbs get between the booster seat and the chair.
Might I suggest the IKEA high chairs such as the Antilop.
They don't take much floor space yet are very stable and easy to clean and very reasonably priced.

August Mom
09-04-2003, 07:31 PM
We don't use one at home, but we have the First Years 3-in-1 Portable 3-in-1Booster Seat and love it for dining out and trips to grandma's house. I actually find it much easier to clean than my full-size high chair and if it gets really messy, you can put the whole thing in the dishwasher. Sometimes food does get between the booster and the regular chair to which it is strapped, so I don't know if you'd need to remove the booster after every meal, at the end of the day or what. This seat doesn't recline, but it does fold up for travel, which I like. It also has 3 height adjustments (although they are pretty minute) and the tray can be moved away from or close to baby. It's been a great $20 investment. You can always try it and if you don't like it for everyday use, you'll still have a travel high chair. Here's a link to the one I have (although mine is blue and aqua with a white tray): http://www.thefirstyears.com/products/product.asp?pValue=4200

CherylT
09-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Another vote for the First Years seats. We have both the reclining feeding seat and the portable one. Both are great and First Years customer service is top notch.

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02