PDA

View Full Version : Good Music CD's? Any dvd's besides baby einstein?

etwahl
08-31-2003, 07:38 AM
I want to get some music cd's that I can play for her in the car and in the house, but not sure what?

Also, we have the baby einstein dvds, but wanting something else too that might be good for her. I only let her watch once a day while I shower (her in her bouncy seat in front of the tv which can also be seen by me in the shower).

Any suggestions?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

lukkykatt
08-31-2003, 01:30 PM
For cd's, our favorites are Ralph's World and Veggie Tales. You could think about checking some out at your library before you buy - I have found children's music to be very deceiving. There are some cd's that I have thought to be a sure winner, only to turn out to be just the opposite.

For DVD's, besides Baby Einstein, we have alot of Baby Songs, which are very entertaining to young children (my 3 year old still watches them too sometimes). Also, DH taped a whole bunch of Teletubbies episodes, which DS loves too.

Roleysmom
08-31-2003, 03:10 PM
We just got Dane Zane's Family Dance cd this week and I love it! Great infectious songs (I have to admit that DH and I played it in the car yesterday afternoon when DD wasn't even with us.) I highly recommend it. I also got a Justin Roberts cd, Yellow Bus, at the same time based on the recommendation of a friend. I listened to it in the store and it sounded good but we haven't listened to the whole cd yet. I am also a big fan of the Wiggleworms cds from the Old Town School of Folk Music. We have Songs for Wiggleworms and have given it as a gift several times. There's also The Complete Wiggleworm and More Songs for Wiggleworms. I haven't listened to those myself, but did give the Complete Wiggleworm as a gift and it was well-received.

We don't watch videos so I don't have any recommendations there.

Paula-- mom to Roley Julia 01-04-02

egoldber
08-31-2003, 05:44 PM
We also have and love Songs for Wiggleworms and Family Dance!

Sarah also likes the Raffi CDs as well.

HTH,

chrissyhowie
08-31-2003, 07:19 PM
I love the children's songs CD For the Kids. I find myself singing these songs all the time!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006L7QX/qid=1062374215/sr=8-11/ref=sr_8_11/104-5088037-3479936?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

I also highly recommend the Signing Time videos.
http://www.signingtime.com/
The combo of smiling kids, songs, and easy to follow movements (teaching American Sign Language) makes them interesting for both DD and me.

Quick tip: You can usually get For the Kids on Ebay for a good price. But the Signing Time videos usually end up being cheaper if you get them directly from the signingtime.com site. The Ebay seller for Signing Time are the same ones as the website, but they add a little cost, probably to offset the Ebay charges.

HTH,

houseof3boys
08-31-2003, 09:22 PM
You can also get the For the Kids CD on overstock.com for $12.59

JMarie
09-01-2003, 10:27 AM
We don't tend to play the geared-toward-children CDs or DVDs - Aidan loves to hear James Taylor, Billy Joel, and the Beatles (especially Here Comes the Sun - we just play that song over and over!). He also likes the Pixar movies - Toy Story I and II, Monsters Inc, and he REALLY liked Finding Nemo - he actually stayed awake and watched the screen for the entire movie! DH tends to keep him watching Star Wars movies, but he also wants to dress him up as an Ewok for Halloween... We'll have to talk about that one...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

DadTollama
09-02-2003, 03:02 AM
I own an EXTENSIVE music collection that includes traditional classical music, classic jazz, rock, and music that can only be described as experimental. I do indeed agree that children can appreciate music of all kinds. And I too love to play some of my favorite albums for my daughter. Here are some that I think are especially fun for children: Jonathan Richmond, the Roches (keep on doin), Herbie Hancock (headhunters), Gil Evans/Miles Davis, Schuman (Carnaval/Kinderszenen), Bach Cello suites, Bill Evans, any swing music-- My daughter loves many types of adult music

However...I still think there is a place for GOOD children's albums. I own the Dan Zanes album, and the WIggleworms CD and some of the others mentioned. The songs on the Wiggleworms CD are traditional, but I do not think of them as "geared down". One of the joys of being a kid is the sheer fun you can have with sounds, melody, rhythm and repetition. While these elements are present in songs composed for adults, they are not expressed in the unabashedly pure way they are on Wiggleworms. The Dan Zanes album is actually an adult album- there is a calypso, at least one zydeco song, several blues- all the song hold their own, for any audience. The good kid's albums are just plain fun. In the end, many of hte rock abums that adults listen to are enjoyable becuase they capture some the simplcity of childrens music. There is a time for rock and a time for Stravinski.

I think that is good to remember that a child's ability to process music and language is not the same as our own. You wouldn't sit down to read "Crime and Punishment" at bedtime, so it at least makes sense to consider the possibility that music geared for children has some merit. I love the Beatles too (Revolver is one of my favorite childhood albums) - I bet you good money if you bought the Zanes album, you'd be playing it when your son is asleep- the songs are pretty well written. Anyway, I go both ways. The right kind of adult albums and GOOD kids albums. - Intertesting discussion!

-DadTollama

etwahl
09-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Anyone know where I can buy a copy of Wiggleworms cd? It seems to be sold out everywhere I look.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

nohomama
09-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Try calling the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago at 773-751-3398. The album was produced by them and recorded by artists/teachers from the school. If anyone has the album in stock they will. It may be though that the album is truly sold out and they're in the process of producing more copies.

You can also go to http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/oldtownschool and sign up to receive notification of when the album is back in stock. CDBaby is the store that the Old Town School uses to sell their cds online and is a great place to browse for music.

emilyf
09-03-2003, 05:58 PM
There was a good list of music posted by someone else recently, I have printed it out for reference. I hope I have attached it correctly.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

Jen841
09-04-2003, 08:24 AM
My son Jude listens to his Beatles CD, but that must be b/c he likes the song "Hey Jude."

My nieces and nephews LOVE Ralph's World and some Disney song CD's they have. "Free to be Me" was recommended to us also.

shevam
09-07-2003, 08:20 AM
I like the Free to Be You and Me CD, also brings back memories from childhood for everyone I know. Also, Kenny Loggins Return to Pooh Corner, has a ton of songs everyone knows and loves.