PDA

View Full Version : Why are Avent bottles so poular?? All I get is foam!

peasprout
08-31-2003, 11:53 AM
All you Avent users out there, do you get an inch of foam every time you feed, or is it just me? I don't mean for breastmilk, cuz I know it doesn't foam as much, but I'm talking about formula. I even use a spoon to mix it, but DD seems to get at least an inch of foam in the bottle every time she feeds. And I can hear the air in the bottle when she's sucking. I normally use Dr. Brown's and I love them, but I have a bunch of Avents from gift sets that I want to put to use. I know they're very popular and many people love them, so I want to know if I'm doing something wrong, or if that's just the way they are. I'm thinking that's just the way they are, but if that's the case, why the heck are they so widely used? Thanks!

AndrewsMommy
08-31-2003, 12:56 PM
I get lots of foam too, but it hasn't been a problem. I honestly, don't know what the big thrill is with Avent either. I registered for them and got them as shower gifts, so I use them. I do like the wide mouth bottles for cleaning. They are really easy to clean. But, honestly, I don't like them all that much. My ds makes a mess with them. He leaks a lot of formula out of the sides of his mouth. I think the nipple is a little too big. Up until about 2.5 months, we used Gerber bottles with the Nuk nipple. I never had a problem with them. I started using my Avents since I had them and I really didn't care for the bigger Gerber bottles. I do think the Avent are comfortable to hold. Those long skinny bottles aren't as easy for me to hold, but I have small hands. So, I guess I really haven't helped. LOL I'm kind of interested in hearing responses too. I don't get what's so great about them either.

Tina
Proud Mom to Andrew 3/03

KMommie
09-01-2003, 02:24 AM
I've only used Avent, but I've found that the foam goes away if you either: 1. mix a batch in advance or 2. add a drop or two of Little Tummies. It also helps to mix the powder in with warm or hot water (heated, not warm from the faucet). It really was strange when I was pumping and would add just an ounce or two of EBM to the formula, the foam would go away!! I thought the foam was just a byproduct of mixing the powder. I didn't realize you don't get any foam when you mix in other bottles, weird.

We like the ease of cleaning the bottles. Although, if I had done more research sooner, I probably would have tried a bunch of different bottles before settling on Avent. They must have a great marketing department or something!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

ralu
09-01-2003, 09:42 AM
I think wide-mouth bottles are preferred by breastfed babies. We tried many brands and my breastfed baby definitely prefers Avent and wide-mouth Dr. Brown's.

Raluca & Matei (Feb 2003)

JMarie
09-01-2003, 10:22 AM
I pre-mix at least a day's worth of formula and just pour from the pitcher each feeding. No foam! I've found you get foam in any bottle if you mix each feeding individually (my sister used the narrow Gerber bottles and I use Avent - both get foamy...). I've seen special mixing pitchers at The Baby's Room and BRU, but I received mine from The Pampered Chef. DH used to mix his protein shakes in them (we have both the regular and the large sizes), but now they are strictly for formula. They mix it up just great! HTH!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
28 January 2003

jd11365
09-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Some reasons why they are popular is for the "supposed" easier BF transition and also the whole system is interchangable...you can put the sippy cup top on a bottle and put the bottle or sippy cup to the Isis pump...everything works with each other. FWIW my picky DD doesn't like them for her once a week bottle of EBM...she actually prefers Playtex...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

AdoptChina
09-02-2003, 08:26 AM
I tried these when we adopted our daughter...she HATED them (ended up using evenflo bottles with regular nipples).......since I had them I tried them with my newborn (who was also breastfed)...and he hated them! He is now using the Evenflo ultra wide nipples (they arent as long so he doesnt gag)