PDA

View Full Version : Two Directional Swing is how much better??

amydiara
09-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Im currently registering for my first baby (a boy) due in January. I saw a lot of good reviews on the FP Aquarium swing which swings in two directions, so that is what I initally registered for (DH seemed to think this was better as well). However, I have this nagging sense of "boy is that thing ugly" when I think about it set up in my Italian Villa-esque decorated family room. I know baby stuff will be everywhere but it seems *so* bright. But if this is truly worth it for the two directional, I will live with the loudness. But if its a wash, I might switch to a toned down Graco. I know there is also the Ducky FP, but not sure if that is as well liked by babies as the big ole aquarium version.

Any experience or insight would be appreciated!!!

Momof3Labs
09-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Why not switch to the FP duck theme? The aquarium is awfully stimulating for a baby - we actually took the toys off of Colin's Graco swing because he tended to sleep in it more than anything else. If you want a little stimulation while swinging, then put on a Baby Einstein video. Your baby will never know that he/she didn't get the aquarium version!

I wish that we had gotten the FP swing because I think that it has a much better recline/position for newborns - by the time Colin was comfortable in our Graco, he had just about outgrown it.

AdoptChina
09-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Either one is great! I have the aquarium one. It is my favorite baby item we got! I have an older Graco swing and like the FP one more. It reclines more, so no slumping over. My son naps in his :)
He also prefers the side to side swinging over the front to back.

AndrewsMommy
09-04-2003, 07:27 PM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the aquarium swing. My son loves it so much. It's the only think he'd nap in for his first 4 months. He loves to watch the fish and ESPECIALLY likes the lights. It's very soothing to him. He loved to sit in there when the room was a little dark and watch the lights. It was a life saver for naps! Now, he's finally napping in his crib. I think it would be a good choice. OH, and he never liked swinging the "traditional" way. We always had it going side to side.

Tina
Proud Mom to Andrew 3/03

cvharris
09-04-2003, 07:55 PM
We have the fisher price swing in the navy duck theme and my DS loves it! I liked the colors of this one better than the aquarium. It doesn't play music either which was a preference of DH's, it was going in our family room and he didn't want music competing with the TV. :) It has a mirror up top that my ds loves to look at (as well as the ducks, he likes to talk to them)

It is noisy, but the white noise puts him to sleep.

We have the aquarium in his crib, and the aquarium bouncer, too, and my DS loves those, too!

nofeea
09-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Here's another vote for the aquarium! DD did not like front to back swinging at first so the side to side swing was a lifesaver. We used it to get a couple of extra hours of sleep in the morning! She's almost 10 mos. now and still likes to look at the fish. We also liked the aquatic sounds- great for soothing to sleep. If you ever want a break from the music or sounds, you can always turn that part off.

LisaMom2Allie
09-04-2003, 10:40 PM
We have the FP Aquarium swing and it is great! This may sound terrible but if she is really fussy and overtired nothing calms her down like putting her in the swing(side to side) with the mobile on and the music(not great but she likes it) and she is out like a light-then we carry her to her crib. I thought that the aquarium was more plush than the duck swing and if you are worried about the price--it is worth 5 times the price to get a little rest. We didn't think that we would need a swing and ended up getting it when she was 6 weeks old-I wish that I would have had it from the beginning. It is big and bulky and it really sticks out like a sore thumb but you will get over that real quick when the baby comes along and you can't get him to go to sleep-that swing will suddenly become an object of great beauty. The cradle(side to side) motion is really great DD doesn't like the front to back-it is truely worth the money to buy the better swing. Best Wishes!

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

amydiara
09-05-2003, 10:03 AM
You guys sold me. I'm going to keep "Big Blue" on the registry. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!

Amy

houseof3boys
09-05-2003, 10:31 AM
We have the ducky one and love it. We had the aquarium bouncer and the aquarium thing in his crib so I thought we'd be aquariumed out if we got the swing too! I love the cradle concept and we change the way he swings a lot. We had it side to side for about a month and now it is front to back. The other thing that sold us on this concept over the other swings is when the baby is old enough that he can grab the handles when he is swinging, you have to stop using the swing. But with the side to side swinging, there is nothing for him to grab so you can use the swing for a longer period of time. Does that make sense?

I think you will be very happy with the fishy swing!!

MartiesMom2B
09-06-2003, 06:46 PM
You'll love the cradle swing. We have the ducky one and Martie loves to look at the ducks circling around. The two directions are great because sometimes she is fussy going one way and we'll flip the chair to the other way and she'll calm down and fall asleep.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

shevam
09-07-2003, 08:08 AM
The Aquarium Cradle Swing is definitely one of my favorite must have's for my son. In fact he is sleeping beautifully in it right now. Everyone I know that has it LOVES it! Great choice! Like it much better than the ducks b/c even if it is too stimulating for a very young baby you can put the toys back on later. The mobile on the swing is the first thing that my son and my neice were able to follow with their eyes. It is too cute when you see them waiting for the next little friend too come around!