PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean your child's toys periodically?

etwahl
09-04-2003, 02:28 PM
I'm wondering about stuff like the toys on the exersaucer, teether toys, really any of the toys.

And if so, how do you clean them?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

KimberleyDawn
09-04-2003, 02:43 PM
I clean all soft teething toys and stuffed animals in a laundry bag in my machine on a gentle cycle and then air dry. The exersaucer toys that can be removed get washed in the sink but you have to be careful with the ones that water can get into. The other exersaucer toys I wipe with Lysol wipes and then spray with Lysol in a can. I do this whole process every couple of days usually at night so everything dries overnight and is ready in the morning. Also, I almost forgot to add that I wash all the removable seat (exersaucer, walker, stroller and car seat) covers once every 2 weeks unless there is an accident that calls for immediate attention.
Kim

etwahl
09-04-2003, 03:35 PM
holy cow! I never wash any of her toys and now I'm thinking I've been a bad mommy. I only wash the removable seat covers if there's a problem. Otherwise no. In fact, I don't really have time to do this stuff, because I'm alone most of the time these days. Being a temporary "single" mom is hard!

Lysol wipes and lysol spray? Is that safe for the baby when they put it in their mouths? Do you wipe the lysol off afterwards? I guess I know nothing about cleaning toys for babies, so I definitely need some guidance.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

C99
09-04-2003, 03:45 PM
You're not a bad mommy! For the exersaucer, I have my husband take it outside and spray it down with the high-pressure part of the garden hose. Nate spits up a lot, so I really only do it when I notice that it's gotten icky. For everything else -- teether toys, etc., I either wash it in the sink with the rest of the dishes or run it through the top rack of the dishwasher and I only do that when they've been dropped on the ground (as opposed to the floor) -- we are not germophobes in this family. :)

egoldber
09-04-2003, 05:42 PM
LOL! Tammy, I used to wash all her toys periodically and I stopped when she was about 5 months old.

Now after I have hosted playgroup (but I remove MOST toys before that) I do wash all soft toys and even throw things like Megabloks and plastic toys in the washing machine.

Sarah has never seemed to be sicker than any other child (in fact, less so I would say).

HTH,

August Mom
09-04-2003, 05:49 PM
You're not a bad mommy. Kim is just super impressive. :) I never wash the seat covers unless there's been an accident or spill. I wash all toys before use, either in hot water and soap in the sink or in the top rack of the dishwasher or, if machine washable, in the washing machine. If it's a big electronic-type toy, I generally wipe it with a Clorox wipe. I also have a sanitizer that my mom got us that I used in the beginning. I wash whatever toys we take to playgroup when we get home (and I don't take toys to playgroup that can't be easily and thoroughly washed). After that, I only wash toys if they get dirty (i.e. are spit up on, touched with dirty fingers, etc.). I guess I'm not really worried about DS touching his own toys and getting his own germs but I'm kind of a germophobe about other kids' germs. DS hasn't been sick, but when he does get sick, I'll wash all the toys that he regularly plays with before he plays with them again. BTW, some people use bleach solutions to clean toys. If you do a search, you'll be able to find the correct proportions of bleach to water. HTH

lisams
09-04-2003, 05:58 PM
The only toys I wash are her teethers and anything that gets spitup or "leaky diapered" on. I also wash the toys she has shared at playgroup (I try to limit the toys at playgroup to plastic/easy to wash toys). Since it's her own germs, I'm not too worried about it. If she ever gets sick (who am I kidding, when she gets sick ;-)) I will probably wash most of her toys down. When I do wash any of her toys, I just use hand soap and hot water or put them in the dishwasher. I don't feel comfortable using household cleaners on things she might have in her mouth. You're not a bad mommy at all - everyone just has a diferent comfort level with germs!!!

Lisa

lukkykatt
09-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Also, the top rack of the dishwasher is great for washing toys that are ok in water. With alot of bigger hard toys (plastic or wood) I use baby wipes.

We have a jacuzzi tub that involves cleaning with hot water, dishwashing detergent and bleach. While I was cleaning that, I threw in all the tub toys since it seemed like the ideal formula for toys as well.

If it makes you feel better, I only clean the fabric on bouncy seats, exersaucers etc. when there has been an accident or spit up. And I have NEVER washed any of our convertible carseat covers (infant carriers are another story) - I have never needed to, as my boys rarely eat in the car.

Marisa6826
09-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Unless there's spit up or a dirty dipe issue, the hard plastic stuff occasionally goes in the dishwasher.

That's about it in this house! ;)

-m

cinrein
09-05-2003, 08:01 AM
I will wash plastic things when we first buy them. Any soft toys, I make it a point to only buy ones that can go into the washing machine (like I think all the Lamaze stuff can).

After that, I only wash seat covers and the like if they suffered an accident. I will rewash the hard toys that get carted along in the diaper bag and stoller on those Sassy links in hot soapy water. Once I dropped 2 Sassy links on a public bathroom floor (yuck, gross!) and those got washed and then sterilzed in my microwave steam bag. I will just wipe up spit up/drool from the exersaucer with a soapy rag, then rinse with a non-soapy rag. We don't do playgroup, so no foreign germs to remove from Anna's toys. Although when her much older cousins visit and handle all her toys, I will rewash them.

Cindy\r\nMama to Anna 2/11/03

KimberleyDawn
09-05-2003, 09:07 AM
I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT I DIDN'T HAVE TO CLEAN WILL'S STUFF LIKE THAT (LOL)!!!! It has been a royal pain in the ass and if I can tone it down I will gladly (still use same products- I luv my Lysol)!!! With that said I still think that I'll have to clean his stuff more often than the average person because he is constantly spitting up and making messes. Also, someone I know (no names mentioned) made me feel like the reason William got thrush before was cause he was exposed to dirty toys.
**Honest I'm not germaphobic (lol)-- I have an 11.5 year old boy (need I say more).
Kim

daisymommy
09-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Bleach water solution= 1 TB. or capful of bleach to 1 gallon water.
Note: Bleach breaks down when exposed to air,light,and water after 24 hrs. and will no longer disinfect. Do not store. Mix a fresh batch each time. You can soak toys in this solution, or put in a spray bottle and use to spray things off (like a high chair), and then wipe dry with a cloth.

JustMare
09-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Tammy,

What about that new product from Pampers called "Clean and Play"?

http://us.pampers.com/en_US/products.do?selectedProduct=cleannplay_other&stage=107&selectedCategory=107_other

Jenmv
09-05-2003, 04:48 PM
When I was on maternity leave I washed her stuff once a week either in the dishwasher or washing machine. Since I have gone back to work I can't even remember the last time I have washed her all of her toys. Heck I'm lucky if I vacuum and clean the bathrooms every few weeks. The dust bunnies have never been so happy in my home. LOL!! That being said, I do spot wash spit up messes, Wash diaper related accidents and anything that falls on the floor in a public place.