PDA

View Full Version : Leapfrog Leapstart Learning Table problem?

stillplayswithbarbies
09-04-2003, 08:48 PM
We got the Leapfrog Leapstart Learning Table last weekend, and Logan loves it.

But I think there is a problem with it. When it is set on the music option, and you press the red drum, nothing happens. But if you press the red piano key, you get a drum sound. hmmmm. And then on the learning option, pressing the red piano key makes it say "red square". Strange.

Do they all do this, or is mine the only defective one? I guess I should take it back, but we got it at Target when we were at the in-laws and we won't be back near a Target for a long time. If others are like this too, there is no sense in taking it back just to have the same problem.

Can those of you who have one test yours and let me know? Thanks.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

August Mom
09-04-2003, 09:53 PM
I think you got a defective one. When you press the red square, you should get a drum sound and "red square." When you push the red piano key, you should hear a woman singing "red" or jazzing piano music. So, you should take it back. I wouldn't worry about taking it to Target. You should be able to take it back without a receipt to Wal-Mart, TRU, BRU or possibly KB Toys (I know they have it but I'm not sure about the return policy) and exchange it.

When I started reading your post, I was guessing that you were going to say that sometimes the table made sounds when no one was playing with it or even near it. Mine does this sometimes and that's pretty weird. So, when you get a non-defective one it may come pre-possessed. :) I'm beginning to understand where the writers of Toy Story got their ideas...

gremlin44
09-04-2003, 11:14 PM
>When I started reading your post, I was guessing that you
>were going to say that sometimes the table made sounds when no
>one was playing with it or even near it. Mine does this
>sometimes and that's pretty weird.

Yours does that too?!?!

Thank goodness. We were blaming it on a living room poltergeist. Ours never ever does it during the day...only at night when I'm sitting up late on the computer.

cinrein
09-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Karen,
It sounds like some wires are crossed. Our doesn't do this. If you don't have a Target near by (you don't??), maybe you could return it to somewhere else that sells it?

Oh, my table is slightly possessed too. It has been known to suddenly "play" when no one touched it. I just thought it was weird until our neighbor said they have the Leapstart drum and it entices his son back to play. If he's left it alone for a while and moved on to another toy, it will say something like "do you want to play anymore", which often gets him back to the toy. Clever. Maybe this table is trying to do the same thing.

Cindy\r\nMama to Anna 2/11/03

nitaghei
09-05-2003, 08:24 AM
What the others said. Sounds like yours is defective. Maybe contact Leapstart directly, if you don't have a Target close by?

Nita

stillplayswithbarbies
09-05-2003, 08:39 AM
So you guys leave yours on all the time? I've been turning it off when she is not playing with it. Surely it won't make noise when the power is off, that would be truly possessed. :)

No, we don't have a Target near us. The closest one is Palisades Mall in Nyack, and that is an hour or more away, depending on traffic. They are building one in my town, but it won't be open until next summer. When we travel, we always plan a stop at a Target.

We just recently got a WalMart! Connecticut is strange.

I think I will try exchanging it at Toys R Us.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

August Mom
09-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Yes. I leave ours on all the time. It really never occurred to me to turn it off because DS plays with it, goes on to something else, goes back to the table, etc., etc. But, you're right, if it still plays when off, there really is something wrong. :) I don't think TRU will give you any problems exchanging it.

nigele
09-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Karen,

That's kinda funny! I would call LeapFrog if I were you. I have had a couple of problems with Fisher Price toys and they always sent me a replacement in the mail. Hopefully LeapFrog will do the same. Good luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
09-05-2003, 03:46 PM
I called them. They told me to return it where I bought it, but when I explained that I got it at a store 350 miles away when we were visiting the in-laws, they agreed to send me a new one, and a return label to send the old one back! Great service.

I can't believe she is actually playing with this! Logan is 5 months old, and I figured she would just watch while we pushed the buttons, but oh my gosh she is working it herself! She lays on her tummy and works the banjo! My baby is a genius! LOL

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

KimberleyDawn
09-05-2003, 03:57 PM
I was going to hold off until x-mas for this one but maybe I shouldn't wait. What do you think?
Kim

August Mom
09-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Personally, I wouldn't wait if you want to get maximum enjoyment from this toy. DS got it for Christmas last year when he was 4.5 months and started playing with it immediately. He couldn't activate all of the activities, but he could operate the spinner, drums and sometimes the banjo which provided a lot of enjoyment. He played most with this toy when he was sitting well and when he pulled up. Once he started walking it got more occasional use. So, for us, prime usage was between 6 and 10 months. It probably differs with each child, but if your child seems to be hitting physical milestones early, I would get this toy before Christmas for sure.

nigele
09-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Great! Isn't it an awesome toy? DH hides a plush mini-piglet in the section with the purple door and asks Tom "where is pig-pig?" Tom heads straight for the door and pulls out piglet and holds him high in the air and has the greatest smile on his face! He's been doing this since he was 8 or 9 months old and he still loves the game. A friend of mine hides Cheerios in the door and her baby loves to open it up and find them.

:-)