PDA

View Full Version : Between heights on exersaucer?

etwahl
09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Which is better. On the lower setting, she has full feet (both) flat on the base. On the higher setting, she seems to be toeing it, but often pulls both feet up and just hangs there, or leans to one side and just has one foot with toes down and the other isn't touching at all.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

KimberleyDawn
09-05-2003, 12:04 PM
We'll see what the experts say but I was told not to have William's feet flat (too much strain on the bones and muscles) so I would go to the next level.
Kim

stillplayswithbarbies
09-05-2003, 12:24 PM
the higher one. If she can get her feet flat, she may be able to jump and launch herself face first into the toys and get hurt.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Momof3Labs
09-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Physical therapists would tell you that the flat foot position is much better for muscles and bones - PTs don't like the pointed toe position!

etwahl
09-05-2003, 02:19 PM
sure lori, throw more confusion at me :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

KimberleyDawn
09-05-2003, 03:28 PM
But I thought that the weight on their little legs was bad!!! I'm confused now!!
Kim

ncmommy
09-05-2003, 08:18 PM
I've been wondering about that too! THe Ultrasaucer instructions say not to allow baby's feet to be flat. We switched it to the highest position and now he seems to enjoy it more (before he would fuss after just 2-3 minutes). Maybe it was a strain on his little muscles??

Momof3Labs
09-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Sorry!! :-)

megsmom
09-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Speaking as a physical therapist (though not a peds one), it seems where more of the feet are touching is better for baby's sensory development and doesn't allow the whole toe thrusting thing as much (though the exersaucer in general does encourage this to an extent to matter what). This generally only becomes a problem with babies who have an underlying sensorimotor problem and aren't developing normally anyway.

My only concern with exersaucers is that some parents might overuse them and that might exaccerbate some developmental problems if there are any. Also I think some put their babies in there before they have good trunk control and their little spines are flopping about more than they should. Most babies, though, are fine to use them for short periods of time. My dd loved hers but once I saw her jumping and slamming about in there more than not (never at any point did she appear to be able to launch herself out) her exersaucer days were coming to an end anyway.

At the end of the day, if Lauren seems comfortable in there and she's not left in there for long periods of time, she is fine. Far be it for me to supercede the instruction book and cause some baby an injury out there.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01
and #EDD 11/12/03

JElaineB
09-05-2003, 09:45 PM
The instruction book from my "Entertainer Activity Center" (I have a Graco not an Exersaucer) says their feet should be flat. It is too high if they can only tip toe. From what I have read and from talking to my ped is not good for their development to be tip-toed too much. I always have erred on the side of having the seat too low rather than too high for this reason.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

heytootsy
09-06-2003, 09:03 AM
Babies stand all the time! The flat food position is best, I am told. When on tip toe, their calves develope differently. This can cause toe walkers (which can damage the growth of the feet). Take it from a person with terrible feet - you do not want bad feet!!

annex
09-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Hmm. Now I begin to see why my ped tells us to avoid exersaucers. (i.e. if the feet flat vs. not debate is so confused!)