PDA

View Full Version : Help with "tummy time"

yhtking
09-07-2003, 08:05 PM
My just turned 3-mo old Ds hates tummy time. I was just wondering if we started "TT" with him too late. What does everyone do with their babies with tummy time? How long do you do it everyday? Should I do it before his feeding so he won't spit up?

Thanks in advance.

bluej
09-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Ryden is 14 weeks and just recently started enjoying tummy time on the floor looking at a himself in a mirror. I would keep trying it and he just didn't care for it up until about two weeks ago. So our version of tummy time was for me to recline somewhat and have him lay on my tummy. He really liked that and we still do that quite a bit. This past week I discovered a new way to do tummy time w/ him that he really likes. I lay him on his tummy on my bed about a foot from the edge of it. Then I get on the floor and pop up and play peek-a-boo w/ him. Ohhh the giggles and squeals are music to my ears! I was curious what his reaction would be if after several times of mommy popping up, daddy all of a sudden popped up. I thought he might have a surprised look of 'what the heck?' but instead he laughed even harder. Ten minutes is about all he'll tolerate of tummy time and we only do twice, maybe three times a day.

heidi_timms
09-08-2003, 02:15 AM
I bought the boppy tummytime pillow after reading several reviews and I use it all the time. I prop up DD on it and place one of those mirrors in front of her as well. The pillow also has a few toys attached to it. Sometimes, I'll put her on the pillow and put on a Baby Einstein and she will watch it on her tummy. It's hard, but we do this several times a day as well!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

cchavez
09-08-2003, 08:04 AM
I have the boppy pillow too but prefer rolling up a towel and propping DS w/ that. I got that idea from a Gymboree baby book. hth

sntm
09-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Jack is not terribly fond of tummy time either, but really enjoys it as part of his apres-bath massage. I do his legs, arms, chest, and belly while he is on his back, then turn him over with one of his Infantino bugs to look at and rub his back and bottom. He'll stay like that for several minutes, even at the end of the day when he is tired. Also, a big determinent for him is a hard surface. He does not like tummy time on blankets, Gyminis, or anything else. Crib mattress is hard enough, and Daddy's chest does okay too.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Jen841
09-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Jude is pretty good with it, he is 14 weeks old. We switch things up. We use a blanket, the Boppy or his crib. I think he crib is his favorite. I sit on the floor next to and read a book or play with a toy.

He is starting to sleep in his back, so we are trying to do Tummy Time more to encourage him to roll from his stomach to his back and to have strong neck muscles.

It look a long time to get him to enjoy it! When it was in a good mood I would try it and as soon as he fussed I would move on to another activity.

sarasprings
09-08-2003, 12:00 PM
DS really, really hated tummy time (I don't use the word "hate" lightly). At about 4 months, we got a gymini (the one with the mirror, lights, and music) and he would play in that for 5 minutes at a time. Also, we got the tiny love crawling thing and it had a water & fish section that he liked.

DS never really liked TT, and I, literally, at 8 months, spent time with a crying baby on his tummy to help him learn to crawl. As soon as he learned to, though, he was very, very happy. I think some babies just don't like it.

wendmatt
09-08-2003, 02:43 PM
dd hated tummy time too. She was usuallly OK if I lay down and put her on my tummy/chest or with boppy under her. We used to do it for a few mins several times a day. Eventually the few mins got longer and when she could lift her head up well, she started to enjoy it. Keep it up, even if he seems to hate it (just for a few mins) it really is good exercise for the neck.

tdempsey
09-08-2003, 10:50 PM
DD hates her tt! She is now 4 1/2 months and has learned how to roll over from her tummy to her back. So now even when I try to give her tt, she just rolls over and won't do it. I tried everything to have her happy when on her tummy. I agree that some babies never get used to it or like it.

Teresa
Mommy to Hannah 4-22-03

yhtking
09-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice. We will definitely keep trying with TT.
Shannon, by the way, my DS was born on 6.6.03 as well. He was born at 12:53 am.

duein june2003
09-10-2003, 09:08 PM
(If I do say so myself...) I have a friend who is a physical therapist and she gave me the best idea for Cole to lengthen his tummy time... go to the local dollar store and purchase a blow up beach ball- it will probably be 18" in diameter. Hold your baby on top of the ball, roll him around, and he'll have a blast! Cole HATES tt on the floor, but on the ball, he'll watch an entire baby einstein video!! The only downside is that you have to hold him on the ball... or else he'll slide off!! It was the best dollar I've spent so far!! Ruth