PDA

View Full Version : seeking a good toy ball for baby (6 months and up)

LucyG
09-08-2003, 07:55 PM
It would seem that I could just go to the store and buy a ball, but I can't find one that I like. Any suggestions here? What kind of ball does your baby love? Would cloth be good, or should I look for plastic, rubber, etc? I remember an orange plastic "clutch" ball with grips that we had when my sister was a baby (OK, that was 23 years ago!), but I have no idea what to look for for my own baby. We have two dogs, so I want something for DD to play with other than doggy tennis balls! Suggestions please!

Momof3Labs
09-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Here ya go!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=8154&mesg_id=8154&listing_type=search

August Mom
09-08-2003, 10:07 PM
I agree that the Gertie Ball is an excellent choice. DS loves his. Also, another child in playgroup has large tennis balls (probably 6 inches in diameter) that came in a 3-pack from Target. These seem to be popular at playgroup. And, DS received as a gift small playground/four-square type balls that are 2-3 inches in diameter. He carries these around all the time. We have some cloth balls, but he's not really into those much. When he still wasn't great at holding onto things, the cloth balls were better because he could pinch them, but now he much prefers balls that can bounce. HTH

LucyG
09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Can you find the gertie ball at major toy stores like KB, or will I have to buy one online or at a specialty shop?

August Mom
09-09-2003, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure whether you can get them at KB. I haven't seen them at TRU. I got mine at a local toy store. Gymboree clothing stores have a very similar ball, BTW.

cinrein
09-11-2003, 01:57 PM
I got my gertie ball at Zany Brainy. They are in the sports section.

Cindy\r\nMama to Anna 2/11/03

Sharon
09-15-2003, 07:36 PM
I was looking for a ball for my DS a few months ago. Went through the whole toy section at Toys R Us and Target - couldn't find anything appropriate. Asked a clerk at Target who was a Dad and he said to me "balls for a baby, gotta look in the sporting goods section" I ended up with these fabric balls 4" in diameter that were advertised for the beach. I hope the dye is OK for a baby but DS LOVES them now. He can hold onto them and roll them.