PDA

View Full Version : please help me find this book about a mom who tucks baby to bed w/ a saying

mama2be
09-15-2003, 05:46 PM
and she does this even as he grows...then when she is old he goes to her and tucks her in with it...
it was recommended to me once and of course i forgot the name...

britchick
09-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Ill love you forever,ill like you for always,As long as im living,my baby youll be???

mharling
09-15-2003, 06:04 PM
It's Love You Forever. A very sweet book!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0920668372/qid=1063666784/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-0024703-6899261?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

raynjen
09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
I LOVE this book. Our minister used to read it every Mother's Day. I can't get through it without sniffling!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

mama2be
09-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys!!!
I'm going to get it...and have no doubt that I too will sniffle each time I read it :)...

lukkykatt
09-15-2003, 07:22 PM
One night, I heard DS in bed "reading" this book and then singing the song. It was so sweet, I wanted to cry! I think DH was able to catch him through the doorway with the camcorder.

egoldber
09-15-2003, 08:55 PM
We have this book and I can't even read it to her, I get so choked up!

deborah_r
09-15-2003, 10:01 PM
My MIL gave us this book when we found out we were pregnant. She had been saving it up for just such an occasion!

AngelaS
09-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Robert Munsch has written some GREAT stuff! That book is by far the sappiest, but Murmel, Murmel is also great. :) Our other favorites are:

Red, Yellow, Blue , (or whatever three colors, I can never remember)
The Paper Bag Princess (a MUST for EVERY little girl!!)
Alligator Baby
Ribbon Rescue
I Need to Go
Something Good (This one's FUNNY!)

We have a BUNCH more and I can think of the stories, but not titles. LOL He has books on burps and farts (He calls 'em farts, we call 'em toots so we don't have that one!) and parents that are giants and they're lots of fun. My 5 yo LOVES them!

km
09-16-2003, 07:52 AM
If you're just looking for the saying, i think it is sweet. However, if you check the reviews on Amazon you'll find every 10th person or so finds the book itself creepy. I'm in that minority, as it just seemed completely dysfunctional to me.

Please dont start the debate here (it seems everyone loves it anyway) but just read through the reviews and page through the book before you buy it to ensure you're comfortable with it.

COElizabeth
09-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Beth,

Thank you for saying that! I read it once and felt the same way! But it doesn't take much to make me cry - I have been virtually in tears taking my NEPHEW to kindergarten!

Piglet
09-16-2003, 10:00 AM
Robert Munsch is our very favourite kids book author - has been since I was a kid! DS is 2 and has been addicted to Robert Munsch since he was 18 months! I actually don't like the sappiness of I Love You Forever, but we can't get enough of Something Good, Stephanie's Ponytail (DS calls it Ugly, Ugly, LOL) and Purple Green and Yellow (DS calls it Markers). DS cycles through which every one is his favourite at the moment but keeps coming back to those ones. He likes them so much we have to bring them with us on every vacation! We bought the Munschworks Treasury and all those books are in it (except Love You Forever). DS even knows the name of the illustrator (Martin Marchenko)!

mama2be
09-16-2003, 07:25 PM
That's good advice I'll ook into that...I could see where someone would be uncomfortable with it based on what I've heard...

Thanks everyone!!!

Sharon
09-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Did anyone else find this book BIZARRE - I mean the mother breaks into her son's home when he is married to kiss him good-night! Is this not the MIL from you know where. Isn't our job as moms to let go and foster independence? Growing up I always thought that the family needed counseling but then again I may be just too cynical.

Rachels
09-21-2003, 11:34 AM
LOL! I am one of the people who finds it creepy. We have it (in fact I gave it to Abigail for her first Christmas, yikes), but once I really started to read it, it started to weird me out. The "I'll love you forever" part is wonderful, but the rest is very odd. This mother professes her unending love to her child only when he's asleep. When he's awake and acting like a normal child, she wishes she could sell him to the zoo, talks about how he's driving her crazy, etc. There's no love or positive feedback or anything celebratory about having an alert or conscious child-- it's only when he's asleep that she remembers she loves him. No good. I find that I don't read it to Abby anymore even though the refrain is lovely because the daytime parts of it are so icky.

A good alternative for a baby if this bothers you is "I Love You As Much," which makes me choke up every time I read it to Abigail. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful, the rhyme is very sweet and soothing, and there are no weird, creepy parts to the story. It's a winner!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02