PDA

View Full Version : (found a) Good toy to help my son walk around the house?

kristine_elen
09-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Edited to add: Thanks to luvbeinmama, I turned a laundry basket upside down and it's great. It doesn't tip when he pulls up. He's not walking yet (never has) but it seems as if it will work well for that. As for the Wide Tracker, which is what I got, it sure didn't seem sturdy enough for pulling himself up. I had to grasp it hard to keep it from pulling over. I think if they made the legs come out more it would be better. Thanks for your help!

I'm looking at the Magical Activity Walker or the Wide Tracker Activity Walker (links below) but only b/c those are the only ones I've seen online. Anyone have thoughts on either of them, or have suggestions for other things I could get my son? He's pulling up to standing now, but he seems not quite sure what to do once he gets there.
Thanks!
(PS: These aren't the walkers that the American Academy of Pediatrics says are so dangerous, right? They mean the things that are like excersaucers but with wheels, don't they?)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000IVH3/qid=1063754435/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_t_4//104-7210651-5283910?v=glance&s=toys&n=280368

http://www.littletikes.com/toyfinder/default.asp?URL=/toyfinder/toyfinder.asp?C=TF

egoldber
09-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Another thing to consider is a Little Tikes Shopping Cart. I found that to be the best "walker". It is sturdy enough not to tip when DD pulled up on it, which some other walking toys did. And its a toy that will get many years of use as opposed to having a much more limited usefulness.

Also, if you have hardwood floors, be careful with these walkers. They can "run away" from baby and they can fall.

HTH,

redhookmom
09-16-2003, 08:26 PM
What I really like about the one we got from IKEA is the little screw on the wheels. You can adjust the friction so that when babies first start walking the walker provides more stabilization and less "go."

Jessica

August Mom
09-16-2003, 09:43 PM
We have the Wide Tracker Activity Walker and I like it okay. It was relatively inexpensive and served its purpose. It does have adjustable friction on the wheels to slow it down or speed it up. It is stable and doesn't have tipping issues like some walkers. The cons are: it's a pain to assemble (I've never seen so many screws and such poor instructions for such a simple item); the 2 doors on the front come off all the time (I called Little Tikes about this and was told this was the design so that kids couldn't stand on the doors and tip the walker over); the letters are never with the walker; and the activities on the walker just aren't that interesting. I really didn't care about the activities when I bought this, because I was solely looking for an inexpensive push walker. Beth is right that this has a pretty limited usefulness because once DS started walking, he wasn't very interested in this anymore.

Someone else on these boards pointed out another push walker that looks pretty cool and I think I would have purchased it if I had known about it earlier. It's the Radio Flyer Walker Wagon. It was on sale when I looked at it last, though. Now it's rather pricey. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002EQBJ/qid=1063766250/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-4582259-2943202?v=glance&s=toys

Edited to add: These are not the walkers that the AAP has deemed dangerous.

lisams
09-16-2003, 10:12 PM
We have the Magical Activity walker, and it is very sturdy (doesn't tip as much). But, it is very loud!!! It's not totally annoying, just loud. My DD has as much fun pressing the buttons on the front as she does using it for a walker. She really likes it.

Lisa

alleyoop
09-17-2003, 10:01 AM
We have the older version of this wagon:

http://www.radioflyer.com/specialty/specialty_12.html

Similiar front bumper, wheels, etc, but the handle is different and there are only 2 sides of wood slats (and it was cheaper). I saw our version on sale at BRU the other day. They must be trying to get rid of the old ones for the new model.

DS loves this push wagon. He can't walk on his own yet, but pushes and runs this wagon all over the house. The limiting function on the wheels is great. It doesn't fly out from under him. It has a little shape sorter and blocks, too (but doesn't everything??) He also likes to climb in it and get pushed around by Dad. Nate can't steer it, but I don't know if that is this walker or if he would have problems with all of them. I am hoping that he can get a bit more use out of it to cart toys around the house, but that has yet to be tested.

Good Luck!

Edited: to say that it doesn't tip and to add pic.

Ryansmom
09-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Hi Kristine,

We have both of these walkers. We bought the little tikes Wide Tracker Activity Walker first. DS would pull the doors off and take out the "mail" and not do much else with it. Then he started pulling off the doors and climbing up on to it. Ugh! Then we got the Magical Activity Walker and we instantly loved it. It was much easier to put together and DS loves it! It's great because of the music and animal sounds. I think it's sturdier than the Wide Tracker too. Yes, it's a bit loud, but DS loves pushing it around and playing the animal sounds. After we got this walker DH said "Can we get rid of the other walker now (Wide Tracker)?". I generally like Little Tikes stuff, but his toy could be much better. There was a post about this toy awhile ago and several of us had complaints.

I also second the Radio Flyer Wagon mentioned in this post. We saw it at a friends house earlier in the week. They would fill it full of other toys/wooden blocks to slow down the speed - smart!

Good luck!

luvbeinmama
09-18-2003, 02:49 AM
I never purchased a walker, but I have a GREAT alternative, that can also double as a laundry basket or ice/beverage tub for parties! Check out my reply in this thread; there is a picture attached:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=1947&mesg_id=1947&listing_type=search

22tango
09-18-2003, 05:16 AM
That does look GREAT!! I'd read in another thread about just using an empty BOX! We did that and it worked too. If it moved a little too quickly across the carpet, I'd put a towel inside it to help add weight. Now that she walks, I just broke it box down & recycled it -- Free & EASY!! :D

JElaineB
09-18-2003, 07:36 AM
I also have the Magical Activity Walker and my son really likes it. I think it did help him learn to walk faster. Now that he is walking he actually plays with the buttons more than walking with it. It is loud, but it doesn't really bother me that much. It has some really cute features, like 2 doors that hide a dog and cat. He loves to open and close those.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Sarah1
09-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi Kristine,

We also have the Magical Activity Walker--I really like it, but like the others must warn you that it is LOUD! But Audrey really loves the animal noises and pressing those buttons that light up. Also, you can turn the sound off altogether, which I recommend if you are using it as a walker.

Right now, she mainly just plays with the buttons and the wheels. Sometimes she stands and holds the bar and occasionally will take a step or two. Once she is more serious about wanting to take steps, I think she will use it more for its intended purpose!

Also, I usually put a pillow in front of the wheels. That keeps it from moving too much, but allows it to move a little so that if she wants to take a step, she can and it won't run away from her.

sbaker
09-27-2003, 09:59 PM
We have the Radio Flyer Walker Wagon. It was DS's favorite toy for many many months. It works well inside and outside. Even now at 19 months DS will happily push it around.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/875.jpg
Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04