PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a bike helmet?

momtoemma
09-20-2003, 04:57 PM
We just got our 14 month old daughter a tricycle, and she loves it to pieces but we don't feel comfortable letting her play on it much until we get a helmet for her. Where is a good place to buy a helmet for such a young child?

Thanks,

Momof3Labs
09-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Try a local bike shop. They were able to fit Colin with a helmet. It still looks big, but adjusts down to his size.

mharling
09-20-2003, 10:24 PM
I agree with Lori. Even if they don't have something on hand, they could probably order something or at least give you a recommendation.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

khakismom
09-22-2003, 03:24 PM
TRU also has toddler bike helmets--they usually sell out pretty quick. We got Kathleen's there. :)

sugarsnappea
09-23-2003, 07:36 AM
We got ours at Target. They had a few toddler size helmets. :)

KathyO
09-23-2003, 02:30 PM
In this case, I'd actually be inclined to buy the helmet at Target or somewhere like that. There are impacts and there are impacts. For a child riding on the back of my bike, at adult speeds, I want a really well-engineered helmet, with the maximum protection possible. For a toddler riding a tricycle... the speeds will be negligible, and the major risk to the child is just toppling over, from a low height. So the hazards are different.

What makes me suggest this, though, is replacement costs. A helmet is fragile - it has to be, to do its job of absorbing the forces properly. Drop it down the stairs once, or have a toddler step on/in it, and you're buying a new one. And with a toddler, this kind of event is pretty much inevitable. I dropped my daughter's spiffy Louis Garneau helmet (a hand-me-down from a trusted source) and crunched one side. Went to the bike shop to replace it - Urgh!! Fifty-five bucks Canadian!! (About $40 bucks and change in US dollars.) Now, for us, with the bike seat on the back of my bike, I'm gonna buckle down and shell out. Hopefully not a second time, though. But for a tricycle helmet I might think twice.

Of course, you should go with whatever makes you feel comfortable, but this is what I'd do in the situation.

Cheers,

KathyO