PDA

View Full Version : What kind of thermometers are best?

Shannah
10-01-2003, 01:09 AM
I just bought the Toddler Bargains book since we are heading in that direction;-) It doesn't rate thermometers. We have been using a rectal one since he was newborn but now that he is older he is not happy with it at all! I don't blame him one bit! So please tell me what is the best kind for accuracy and one that a toddler would be okay with. Which ones do you like that won't be too too expensive.

Shannah
mommy to Liam 5-10-02

daisymommy
10-01-2003, 10:49 AM
At this age you could go with a digiatl one, used under the arm. Or one of the ear ones. Personally, I have seen to much discrepancy with the ear thermometers. They are always slightly off, each ear gives a different reading...it's very confusing. And when your child is sick, that's the last thing you want. We have one from The First Years that is soft rubber coated, and it takes a good reading under the arm in under 10 seconds. I hold Josh in my lap, tuck it under his arm, and gently hold his arm down to keep it in place. it beeps when it's done. We also have one by Vicks that has a large digital reading that glows (great at night). I have tested the First Year's one while at the doctor's office, and got nearly the exact same reading as their thermometer.

amp
10-01-2003, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure what brand we have, but we just use a digital thermometer under the arm (add 1ยบ to the temp). My ped said the ear therm. were too inconsistent and inaccurate.

Shannah
10-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Thank you so much! I'm glad to know about the ear thermometers . . . I'll steer clear of those.

Shannah

JP4
10-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Check out the Exergen temporal artery thermometer. It is very easy to use and very accurate. Just push the button and slide it across the forehead.

jd11365
10-04-2003, 07:46 PM
I have the Exergen temporal artery thermometer and it's been great! Very accurate...I tested it to me and to her. My ped uses a temporal artery thermometer too. It's so easy...especially when they are sick and cranky. I highly recommend it and it's the same price as the less accurate ear thermometers...about $49 at BRU.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03