PDA

View Full Version : Baby Hates Swing

new_mommy25
10-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Whenever we put him in it he'll sit for maybe 3-5 minutes and then start crying. My mom says that maybe he is too young for it and he'll like it when he gets older (DS is 4 weeks). I'm thinking that maybe I should just return it and get my hundred dollars back. Any opinions? He loves his bouncy seat and it's one of the few places his willing to nap besides my arms and I'm thinking maybe he doesn't need both...
Thanks.

egoldber
10-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Do you have multiple speeds? Maybe try faster (or slower) and see if that helps.

But not all babies like the swing. If it doesn't work for you, I'd return it.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
10-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Colin wasn't a big swinger until he was 6-8 weeks old. Then he liked the swing better if it was on the highest speed, with the music, and was snuggled in with blankets. I took the toys off, too. He'd just startle, knock the toys and wake himself up. We only got a month or two use out of the swing, but it was the first place he'd nap out of our arms, so it was worth it. After not putting him in the swing for a month or so (for no particular reason), I tried it again - he loved it, but had learned how to grab the bars while it was swinging, so by 6 months the swing was completely retired.

KGoes
10-06-2003, 09:30 AM
DD did not like the swing until she was about 6 weeks or so, and then it was her favorite place to hang out with mom while I was in the kitchen or shower. In other words, the thing has paid for itself ten times over. Also, we went with the portable FP swing instead of the larger ones. It's cheaper and can go to grandmas.
Kelley
DD born 7/30/03

amp
10-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Some babies like the swing. Some don't. Mine is one of the ones who don't. He'll tolerate it for a short while, but it sure doesn't do much for him.

blnony
10-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Audrey never liked the swing. Ours was a gift which I later sold. :) Audrey loved the bouncey for months, but she never liked the swing at all, and we never missed it.

new_mommy25
10-06-2003, 05:22 PM
I guess I'll hang on to the swing for a few more weeks and see if he likes it better then. If not I'll return it. Thank you.

jd11365
10-06-2003, 08:54 PM
Kayla HATED her swing until recently. Now she tolerates it for a little while...but only if in front of the TV. (Never thought I would actually say that...let alone print it in public, but my how things change after the baby actually arrives...) It used to be in kind of a corner...maybe putting it in a different location. Amazing what we do to make this darn kids happy! :-)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

essnce629
10-11-2003, 05:35 AM
What kind of swing do you have? At my mom's house, we have a regular 6 speed Graco swing that my 7 week old won't tolerate at all. Each time we go to visit I've tried to put him in it and he just screams and cries. It seam like it is just too upright for him even when it's fully reclined. So he's never spent more than 10 seconds in it. At our house, however, we have the Fisher Price Aquarium Cradle swing which he absolutely loves. It reclines really far and is super padded and he is so comfortable in it. When he's fussy, I'll put him in it and sometimes he'll be asleep before I even buckle him in. Other times I'll put him in it and he'll stare up and smile at the fish mobile. He also loves staring at the lighted globe at night. I've never heard of a baby not liking this swing. Maybe you can exchange yours for this one.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel

sarsah
10-11-2003, 03:01 PM
My now 3 year old son practially lived in the swing -- he absolutely loved it. My now 5 month old really doesn't care for it.

I think it depends on the child, so if I were you, I'd probably consider returning the swing. You can always buy a new one later on if he happens to decide he likes it.

Sarah.......Jason & Devin's Mommie

slecompte
10-13-2003, 07:20 PM
DD didn't like her swing til about 6-8 weeks also. Then she loved it, would sleep in there for hours in the afternoon. SO you may not want to give up on it yet! It was great for me too!

Sheila

Jen841
10-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Don't give up yet. There are nights DH and I would never have slept if it was not for the swing. At 4 mo he no longer as interested in his swing, but he wants the one at day care. At home he spends more time in his high chair, he likes to be at our level and be by himself. I don't have a snuggler!

brooke2003
10-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Sorry this is late. We got a FP Aquarium swing after our son was born, and he HATED it. We returned it and got a deluxe take along swing, which he loves and naps in every day. I dont know if he would have grown into the aquarium swing, but it is wonderful to have a swing that you can move from room to room!

HTH

Brooke