PDA

View Full Version : Kolcraft Jeep Pack n' Play vs. Graco Deluxe Pack n' Play

babymama
10-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to share some of my observations about the Kolcraft Jeep pack n' play vs. the Graco Deluxe Pack n' Play (clarion fabric).

I compared these two for about a week (in store, online, and by catalog) and eventually decided on the Graco. I'm sharing this here in the event that others are on the fence about which pack n' play to choose/register for. Here's what I came up with. Remember this is just my opinion.

Jeep Pack n' Play
Pros:
1) hip, modern look (dark gray and bright aqua blue or dark gray and bright yellow)
2) about $10 cheaper than the Deluxe Graco p-n-p
3) easier to carry that Graco bc wheels stick out of the bottom of the bag when it's all folded up - so it operates like rolling luggage
4) has basically same features as Graco Deluxe - bassinet, vibration, music, canopy, changing station.
5) less steps involved breaking down and packing away than the Graco Deluxe
6) extra bag and cargo net on outside of unit for holding extras like toys, diapers, etc.
7) I don't know if this is a pro or a con, but the canopy extends over the whole unit, not just halfway like the Graco. Seems like this could be both a pro and a con depending on your needs.

Cons:
1) heavier by about 8 pounds than the Graco Deluxe
2) bassinet is only 1/2 the size of Graco bassinet and doesn't come with a sleeping pad - so the baby sleeps directly on the netting (this is true of the model I saw in store and online - maybe a pad is sold separately and available as an accessory, but I didn't see it)
3) here's the deal killer - I couldn't get the buttons that you push to collapse the unit to work and neither could my much stronger brother nor could the saleswoman at Babies R Us. We were able to collapse the unit on 3 sides, but the button on the 4th side stuck and we couldn't unstick it. So I walked away from the Jeep model.

I guess neither are my ideal pack n' play, but I decided to go with the Graco Deluxe anyway. I wish the Graco Deluxe model had wheels that stick out of the bottom of the carrying bag for easier portability. WHile I might be in the minority on this, I wish the Graco Deluxe pack n' play were available in colors/designs other than the pastel-ly, super baby-ish looking ones available now. I like Graco's "heatwave" and "glen plaid - black" design and wish I could get the deluxe pack n' play in those fabrics instead.

Anyway, just some food for thought on a Monday morning.
Thanks,
babymama
baby due 11/20/03

stillplayswithbarbies
10-06-2003, 12:08 PM
most pank n plays use the same mattress for the bassinette part as on the bottom, you just fold it in half or thirds.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03