PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide...Do I really need a high chair or not?

amp
10-08-2003, 01:52 PM
We received a portable booster seat with a tray that attaches to a regular chair as a gift before DS was born. Here is a link to the seat we have.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B00005QXPE/qid=1065638215/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/102-5705933-4366557

Was planning on getting the FP Healthy Care Deluxe high chair, which I think I have found at Target locally (since it's out of stock online I called around to some other area SuperTargets). I told DH I that I think I've found the chair and we can go take a look. His question is, "Do we *need* a high chair? Or can we just use the booster seat instead?" My answer was, "Good question."

So I need your opinions. Do we spend the extra money on a high chair? Convince me I need a high chair. Or, convince me I don't. Why would you buy a high chair if you have a portable booster? We could just keep that one in the car for going out and traveling. Is there some extra benefit to a high chair that I wouldn't get with just a booster?

Any personal experience or input would be appreciated. TIA!

KimberleyDawn
10-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Have you used the booster seat yet?
Kim

chrissyhowie
10-08-2003, 05:03 PM
We're not using a high chair at this point. Space was a big factor in our choice. We just don't have room to have a high chair sitting around. We have the First Year's 4 Stage Seat and it has been working great for us so far.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B00005LLQM/qid=1065648649/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-8139072-5948719

We actually started with the Safety 1st Fold and Go that you have. It really isn't great for when the baby is smaller since there is absolutely no recline to it. It's usable, but DD just wasn't all that comfy in it since it is very straight up and down. Now I have the Fold and Go at my MILs since she visits there fairly regularly, but later it will be the one we tote to the restaurants with us if needed.

I'm planning on using the 4 Stage booster seat until DD is closer to 2 or so. Then I think I may splurge on a Kinderzeat :)!!

On the flip side, my sister has a real high chair that I used for the first time the other day. Wow, it was so comfy and plush compared to our little booster! So I definitely see the appeal of the regular high chair. But so far our current arrangement works very well for us, especially because space is not abundant in our apartment.

HTH,

amp
10-08-2003, 05:14 PM
We've used it just a handful of times. DS can sit up with if we prop towels beside him so he doesn't tip over in the seat. It seems ok, but I don't even know if we can wash the tray in the dishwasher! Anyway, I'm not totally sold on using it in place of a high chair exclusively, but then again, I'm not convinced I need to spend another $70+ dollars on a high chair. Decisions, decisions.....

Momof3Labs
10-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Is your kitchen chair easy to clean? If so, the booster will probably work for you. If not, you might get sick of wiping down your kitchen chair - solids get very messy as the baby gets older (as I am quickly learning).

Regarding the tray in the dishwasher - the removable insert from my Prima Pappa does not fit in our dishwasher, so we have to hand wash it every time. That's what you get for $180...

egoldber
10-08-2003, 07:32 PM
You don't "need" a high chair. But if you have the space and the $, they are convenient. We have a hand me down Peg Perego with no recline, and I never missed the lack of recline. Check local consignment stores and you can often find ones in very good shape for $20-$45.

And my DD refused to use the high chair after she was 18 months. We then used the Safety 1st Fold Up booster. When she was around 23 months, she decided she didn't want to use a booster either. She now just sits at a regular chair and eats that way. So I am very glad I didn't spend the money on either a fancy high chair or a Kinderzeat type thing.

HTH,

deborah_r
10-08-2003, 08:56 PM
I have the same question, and I have considered the 4-in-1 that someone has mentioned, but I do not have "traditional" kitchen chairs and I do not think I can attach it. I have these IKEA chairs that are wood frame, cushion seat and back and fabric covered. No slats or bars to attach onto.

Also don't have much room for a high chair...don't know what to do!!! I'm considering the seat that attahes to the table? Someoone recommended the Chicco Hippo hook-on chair a while back?

kristine_elen
10-08-2003, 09:27 PM
We have this booster (link below) and LOVE it. My mom got one for use at her house and it was so great we bought one and it replaced our high chair. I just don't see the point in spending the money on a high chair when you can spend so much less (or nothing, since you got one as a gift) and get a great seat that you can easily take to friends' houses or to restaurants. (Ours replaced a 60-year-old wood high chair that had been handed down, but I can't imagine what other features I would want in a high chair that this booster doesn't have.)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B00005LLQM/qid=1065665626/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-7210651-5283910

SarahD
10-08-2003, 11:03 PM
IMHO, I would say YES! As long as you have the money & space I would definately buy one. My dd is 21 months and up until last week we only had the 4 Stage Feeding Seat (the same one that someone else said they owned) Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B00005LLQM/qid%3D1065665626/sr%3D2-1/ref%3Dsr%5F2%5F1/103-3684147-8687048

I've been wanting a real high chair for so long and finally went out and spent the money on a Baby Trend one. Here are my reasons for wanting a real high chair rather than just using the feeding seat:

1) Probably the biggest reason is I wanted wheels. I found that I liked to move my daughter around a lot while she was in her chair and that is very difficult to do when she is in the feeding seat which is attached to a dining room chair.

2) The feeding seat is not nearly as comfortable as a high chair...the feeding seat I have only has a thin pad on the back and nothing on the seat bottom.

3) My dining room chair did end up getting messy and needed cleaned a lot...especially the older my dd got.

4) Since the seat I have isn't the fold up kind, it was a little bulky to transport to other places. I ended up buying a separate hook on chair for that purpose (the Inglesina hook on chair)--which I have taken lots of places. That sort of defeats one of the purposes of that feeding seat.

5) The feeding seats have very small trays...I wanted a bigger one.

6) There have been several occassions when we have had company over that I wished I would've had a high chair for my dd because we needed the dining room chair her seat was attached to for them to sit on.

Those are the reasons that I can think of off the top of my head why I finally went out and bought a high chair. I am currently pregnant with #2 and due in 2 weeks so I figured it will get plenty of use with this new baby even once my dd is out of it. I don't know what I'm going to do with this feeding seat now since I don't really need it.

So bottom line, MHO is that you should get a high chair.

Sarah

amp
10-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Thank you so much for all of your opinions on this matter. We've decided, with your help, to get the FP Deluxe Healthy Care that I finally managed to find locally after much calling around. It's pretty affordable and it folds up if we need to get it out of the way for awhile. We think we will still get use out of the booster when we travel. In fact, I think we are going to just keep in in the car for now and then we can use it at restaurants when we choose to (in case the chairs there are yucky!) Thanks for helping us to make this decision!

amp
10-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Just thought I'd post an update for those considering this same question and for those that gave me their input. We did purchase the FP Deluxe Healthy Care High Chair from a Target locally. So far I really like it! Jake has only used it twice so far, but he seems so much more comfortable in it than he did in the booster seat. He kept tipping over in that seat since he can only sit with support currently. Sure, we had him propped with towels, but still...Plus, he is less fussy in the new high chair, so that will make for more pleasant feeding times. And it's an attractive chair, so even though we don't have a lot of space, I don't mind seeing it sitting there. Overall, I'm very glad we decided to buy it. And the booster is in the back of my car, just waiting to be used when we need it. Thanks again for all of your advice.

houseof3boys
10-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Andrea I'm glad he likes it! We have used it twice this week with Ryan and I like him being with us at the table. He can interact with us and see all of the action at the dinner table. We went to BRU (boy do I hate that store) today and all of the other high chairs pale in comparison. I even like it better than the Prima and the Chicco. I am glad we got the FP and after seeing the one with the ruffle...even happier w/ the deluxe from Target!

amp
10-13-2003, 02:29 PM
I know! I can't believe that this chair is cheaper than so many others! Well worth the money IMO! Glad you and Ryan are also enjoying!

KUvsOU
10-14-2003, 02:59 PM
We previously used the First Year 4 Stage Seat at restaurants until Cade could sit up very well as he outgrew his infant seat pretty fast. Then, we used the cover I bought for the shopping cart, but that has not worked very well lately. I just found this website that has a cover for restaurant highchairs and I am considering buying one. The link is below.

http://www.cleanshopper.com/default.htm

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02