PDA

View Full Version : Help! DD won't drink anything but milk :-(

suzette
10-20-2003, 09:07 AM
At her one year checkup my doctor told me to cut out one bottle and give her some watered-down juice. Sounds good...but she won't drink anything BUT milk and won't touch a cup of any sort...HELP!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Suzette

JElaineB
10-21-2003, 09:28 AM
I'm still giving DS as couple of bottles of milk a day, plus some in sippy cups. I'm trying to move completely to sippy cups but that isn't happening yet. DS does really like water in sippy cups though. How much milk is your daughter getting each day? I am trying to figure out how much is the right amount each day myself, my doctor didn't really say.

What cups have you tried? We have used Playtex First Sipsters with handles, which he really likes. Also, he does well with the First Years Take and Toss sippy cups. Those are supposed to be good for kids who don't do well with other sippy cups. If the sippy aspect doesn't work, have you tried straws? Munchkin and Playtex make staw cups. They say for 2 and up, but DS can use them now. They are just a little messier.

I don't really understand why your doctor said to replace milk with watered-down juice? Seems like the nutrition isn't equivalent! Does he think you daughter is just getting too much milk, calorie-wise? My doctor has said no juice at all, which I am sticking with. It is either water or milk here for DS right now. He is on the small side though so I am trying to get as many solids into him as possible at the moment!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

suzette
10-21-2003, 02:41 PM
I give her 24 oz of milk a day (3 bottles). I was giving her four until he told me to drop one (she's in the 97%). He didn't say straight juice...but suggested water with some juice for flavor. She won't touch it. I thought for sure she'd take to the cup easily because all the other kids at "school" use them, but she's not interested in doing anything but bang it :-( I've tried Avent because I used Avent bottles (LOVE THEM) and now playtex. She's not the best eater, but she would take all meals in a bottle if I let her. I'll try your cup suggestions...thanks!