PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Suggestions

KUvsOU
10-21-2003, 02:11 PM
I currently have the FP Vibrating Monitor with a rechargeable battery. However, FP no longer makes this model, no longer makes replacement parts for it and the version I have is outside the one year warranty. The rechargeable battery is starting to die.

Therefore, I am looking for some monitor suggestions. I would prefer to have a monitor with a rechargeable battery, but that may be unrealistic. I definitely do not want one that eats batteries. I would like a monitor that I can take outside with me if I am working in the yard.

I don't know if I should just go with the current nonrechargeable battery version of the FP Vibrating Monitor. Is anyone familiar with any of the following monitors (likes/dislikes)?

Philips Baby Care 900 Mhz Super Sensitive Monitor
Safety 1st 900 Mhz Sensitivity Sound Baby Monitor
Safety 1st 900 Mhz Grow with me Intercom
Safety 1st Rechargeable Monitor

I am also open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

megulis
10-23-2003, 08:09 AM
I think my friend has the FP monitor. I asked her to test out 2 monitors for me while I was pregnant--the Phillips and the Sony. She hated the Phillips, and she felt more comfortable with the Sony. It wasn't a matter of them not both being well made; it was more a matter of her being used to the extra sensitive FP monitor. She said she hated the FP for the static but loved it that you could even hear the baby breathing. If you get the Sony, remember to get the one that is rechargeable. My Toys R Us has them.

I returned both of them and got a better phone system because my baby sleeps in a bassinet in my bedroom. I want to have him sleep in this room for 6 months when the SIDS scare is behind us. I have the Panasonic 2.4 Ghz expandable phone system with the room monitor, and I like it.

Hope this helps!

egoldber
10-23-2003, 08:57 AM
What kind of phone system is this? I think we have tried and returned every baby monitor system on the planet! I think the FP and the Philips are the best we have tried so far, but not perfect by any means. But DH is still not satisfied. This phone thing sounds like something he would love!

megulis
10-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Well, we like it because we don't need it to be ultra sensitive. I want to be sure I can hear the baby crying and squirming if I am downstairs. This is the main unit we have.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com:80/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=62820&catGroupId=11102&modelNo=KX-TG2730S&surfModel=KX-TG2730S

And, we have a few of these.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com:80/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=62812&modelNo=KX-TGA272S&surfModel=KX-TGA272S&surfCategory=Answering%20Machines/Phones%20with%20Answering%20%20Machines

It is expensive, but it is a very neat system. Especially the side units came in very handy for the intercome and alarm clock features; I needed to take antibiotics 4 times a day for my UTI. (You can just push the time instead of scrolling to set the alarm.) Getting used to being a mom and breastfeeding, I needed to constantly "call" my dh on the intercome to get me various things. Now, it is useful for the monitor.

On the upside, I got the side units for a little over $50 because they are phasing them out for a different unit. I got it at Radio Shack on clearance, but that was more than a month ago. I got the main unit from Target when they had a sale and a rebate.

Hope this helps!

MelissaTC
10-23-2003, 10:36 PM
We have the FP Lights and Sounds. NEVER had a problem with the phone, can hear DS down the block (of course my geeky DH tried it!) and never hear the neighbors (damn!). I love it because you can turn the volume low and see the lights. We received it as a shower gift but it was requested. We got the one with the 2 receivers so one is in the master bedroom and one is downstairs in the family room. No problems and it is not expensive =)

HTH!

KUvsOU
10-29-2003, 06:06 PM
I finally had a chance to pick up the Sony Baby Call Nursery Monitor with 27 channels at BRU today. I am currently charging the rechargeable battery and look forward to trying it out tomorrow night. Thank you for your input! :)

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

KarenNYC
10-30-2003, 09:35 AM
so????how was it? I am thinking of buying it today as my Graco just died for NO reason uhg....

KUvsOU
10-30-2003, 02:35 PM
It has to charge for 15 hours before you can use it so I tonight will be my first chance. I will let you know how it goes.

KUvsOU
10-31-2003, 10:47 AM
I finally had a chance to try out the Sony monitor last night. I absolutely love it!!! :) It is very sensitive just like my old FP was and I could hear everything. During the night, I did have to turn it down a little to find the right volume. On my old FP, the on/off was also the volume control; however, with the Sony, they are separate, which is great! It is nice that it has a voice activated mode, but I have not tried this out yet. Thank you to everyone for your input!

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02