PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Name This Ball

August Mom
10-22-2003, 09:56 AM
I'm making out DS's Christmas list for the relatives and have totally spaced the name of something I want to put on the list. I've done a couple of Internet searches but haven't found it. Please tell me the name of this ball. The ball is hollow - you can see through it. The outside of it is made up of a series of circles joined together. It's supposed to be easy to grab, throw, catch and carry around. It is royal blue, pink and yellow I think. DS played with one belonging to another child and loved it. I thought I had seen them at Zany Brainy/Right Start, but I'm not finding it on the website there. I thought it was called an O-Ball or something like that but I can't seem to find it.

TIA

amp
10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Although this doesn't sound exactly right, we have this ball, which sounds similar.

http://www.manhattantoy.com/product_search/adv_search_results_fs.asp?txtkeywords=ball&prodline=Manhattan+Baby%99&Submit=Go%21

Sorry I don't know the exact one you are thinking of.

August Mom
10-22-2003, 11:21 AM
That looks cool. DS would have loved the tags when he was younger, but unfortunately, that's not the one I'm looking for.

sntm
10-22-2003, 11:55 AM
is it the winkel?

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1003.jpg

amp
10-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey Shannon, that's a cool toy! Does Jack have that? Does he like it? I've never seen it before, but it looks neat!

August Mom
10-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, no. This is driving me crazy! I hate it when I can't remember things.

MelissaTC
10-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Is it the Nobbly Wobbly? Or the Orbity Zorbity?

stillplayswithbarbies
10-22-2003, 01:00 PM
I think it is called an OBall, from Rhino Toys.

http://www.rhinotoys.com/

http://www.rhinotoys.com/oball_color-new-smaller.jpg

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

August Mom
10-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Thank you, Karen! That's it! I guess it is called an O Ball. Thanks so much.

sntm
10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
no, but i've been looking for it locally. it's supposed to be soft and easy to grab. it's a nice inexpensive item and i hate paying for shipping for those kinds of items. same for the gertie ball.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
10-22-2003, 03:12 PM
we have one for our dogs :) I didn't know it was a baby toy.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

amp
10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Please re-post later if you find it and once you know if Jack likes it. I'll keep my eyes open for it too.

Thanks!

justlearning
10-22-2003, 11:28 PM
I'll just chime in here and say that I did buy the Winkel for DS 3 months ago and it's been his favorite toy since then. I've never seen it IRL--I bought it from babycenter when buying other stuff so the shipping was free.

What I especially liked about it when back when I bought it for my son was that he was able to grab onto it when he was unable to grab onto anything else. That is, the rubber circles were narrow enough that he could easily grab it. He loved playing with it--I would dangle it using cheap Walmart plastic links from his carseat bar when we were in church or at a restaurant, and it would keep him content for an hour. He really liked grabbing onto it and putting it in his mouth.

Now that he's older, he obviously can grab many more toys so that benefit is no longer relevant. What I have started using it more for lately, though, is as a teether. Sometimes I put the Winkel in the freezer and he likes to put it in his mouth. I'd say, though, that other teethers are probably better or just as good so I wouldn't get this just for teething purposes. Lately, also, DS has begun to realize that there's a rattle inside so he's started shaking the Winkel more to hear the noise. (The rattle is soft enough that you don't hear it unless you really shake it.)

Because I'm a clean freak, I especially like that I can just pop the Winkel into the dishwasher to sanitize it all the time. Overall, I'd say that the Winkel was the one of the best toys I've bought DS--I almost always keep it in my diaper bag. Even today, I used links to link the Winkel to the stroller bar when we went out for a walk, and DS fell asleep still clutching the Winkel. But, I realize that your children are the same age as my son so they may have already outgrown some of its benefits (serving as a first grab toy and first rattle). My guess, though, is that DS will continue to like playing with it in the future so perhaps yours will too. HTH...

loewymartin
10-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Alia has this one and likes it. I like that I can "fold" it (or squish it) into the smaller diaper bag and she has a toy. Also, I can link it to the stroller etc. She likes that she can throw it easily. She's 17 months and has played with it for months.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02