PDA

View Full Version : Skwish - is it really safe for 0-12M?

deborah_r
10-23-2003, 12:29 AM
I'm not usually paranoid about safety, but I just received my Skwish and I'm kind of surprised that it is OK for infants. It has those samll wood beads on the ends and if one of those were to come off it would be a definite choking hazard. DS is already working those pretty good. And there's that stretchy cord material holding it all together and if that were to snap, choking hazard...

Can anyone give me some comforting words about this toy?

Also, I'm so silly, when I saw the picture of it (looked it up after seeing so many people mention it here) I thought it was one of those toys that you can pull it and it's a big sphere, then you close it and it's a small sphere. So I was kind of disappointed when I opened it...does anyone know what that thing is that I was thinking of? I feel like I've seen it on TV or something?

August Mom
10-23-2003, 07:48 AM
You are right. IF it were to come apart, the beads are small enough to be a choking hazard. To reassure you, though, I have a very rough DS, we've had the Skwish for 10 months, adults squish it and throw it too and it looks brand new. I don't see any weakening of any of the parts and I am not worried about it in the least. This toy has been around for awhile too. If there was a real issue with it, I think we'd hear about it from the CSPC.

However, if it's going to make you nervous to let your DS play with it, then don't. Return it. There are lots of other toys available. He doesn't HAVE to have the Skwish.

Good luck.

houseof3boys
10-23-2003, 09:36 AM
I thought the same thing when we got ours last month too. I also thought he would somehow get his whole face trapped in the cords :P

He loves it Deborah! He gums at those beeds all of the time and it is so easy for him to hold because of the stretchy cord. It is a very sturday toy. Kai is going to love it, just think of it as his "classic" toy, instead of those plastic ones that you thought it would be like that expand out.

Piglet
10-23-2003, 10:58 AM
The opening/closing one is called the Hoberman Sphere and while it is very cool, I think it is a big pinching hazard for small fingers. DS plays with in in the store and usually ends up pinched a bit (not painfully, but still...). I am quite sure it is for older kids.

Just found the link - Ages 4+

http://www.hoberman.com/fold/Sphere/sphere.htm

stillplayswithbarbies
10-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Our problem with the Skwish was that Logan would chew on one end and poke herself in the eye with the other and then get mad. It wasn't until she was almost 5 months that she had the manual dexterity to manipulate this toy and enjoy it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03