PDA

View Full Version : Which brand of sippy cups don't leak?

kathsmom
10-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Hi, everyone!

I need some help finding a sippy cup that doesn't leak. DS loves to roll his sippy cup on the high chair tray or on the floor. Sometimes, he throws it on the kitchen floor, just to laugh as I repeatedly pick it up. I get very frustrated, because the cups leak on the tray and get his food soggy, or they leak on his clothes.

So far I have tried the following:

-Avent sippys with the soft,white spout. These are usually the least leaky, but I hate having to deal with all the parts to it.

-Playtex original sippy cups. These seem to leak all over his tray as well.

-First Years sippy cups that have no separate valve with the hinged cover to cover the spout. I bought 2 and they seemed to work well, and so I bought 2 more. The newest ones I bought are the worse offenders with liquid being everywhere. I started having trouble with the original 2 I bought yesterday. I am going to be contacting First Years about the 2nd set I bought, because they leaked from the get-go.

I really need suggestions on something that is not going to leak. I know that DS is rough on them. Am I expecting too much? I used the Playtex Original sippy cups with DD and had absolutely no problems with leaks (of course, DD is now 7, so I don't know if designs have changed or if she just wasn't as rough on the cups as DS).

TIA for any help you can give!

August Mom
10-24-2003, 10:28 AM
We have had the best luck with Playtex First Sipsters, so that's probably not going to help you. They have the same valves as the Playtex Originals. I will mention that with the Gerber cups, they use a hard plastic valve that pops out upon impact so then you have no valve at all and liquid leaking all over the floor. (Can you tell I have some personal experience with this? :)) I would avoid those if I were you. The Tommy Tippy cup might help with the rolling issue as the bottom is weighted so the cup stays upright. However, once it goes over the edge of the tray, I'm not sure what happens on impact. We had the worst experience with the First Years cups you describe. They leak terribly.

Karenn
10-24-2003, 10:46 AM
My playtex cups always leak. With my Tommee Tippees, I have the problem with the valve falling out, but my Gerber cups serve me well in this regard. I shove that valve in there pretty good and it generally doesn't fall out.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've spent way too much on sippy cups trying to find the perfect one. ;) I'm still looking, but I'm not sure it exists.

Edited to add: I just re-read August Mom's post and wanted to say Colin generally doesn't do target practice with his sippy cups (which is surprising because he does it with everything else!), so that's probably why we probably haven't experienced the valve popping out on impact thing with the Gerber cups. However, they do roll all over the floor and spend a fair amount of time up-side-down without leaking.

kathsmom
10-27-2003, 01:56 PM
August Mom and Karen,

Thank you so much for replying to my post! I guess I am just going to have to try a couple of more brands. I just hate spending money on sippy cups and have them not work for me! Sigh, I guess it's back to Target, Wal-Mart, or BRU! Wish me luck.

Take care!

sarsah
10-28-2003, 11:08 PM
I have had the best luck with the Gerber cups. They seem to leak very little and my DS (now 3 1/2 and really doesn't need a sippy anymore, but it's just easier than cleaning up spills all the time) loves to drop/throw his cups. Only a few times (maybe we're just lucky) has the valve come out as a result of the cup being thrown.

The Playtex ones that we also use leak a lot more than the Gerber ones and it doesn't really seem to matter if the valve is new or old.

Sarah.......
Mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)