PDA

View Full Version : Is it odd that I don't want a lot of electronic/singing/talking toys for dd?

LucyG
10-25-2003, 08:42 PM
For some reason, I'm just not excited by them. For instance, I think an activity table would be nice, but I don't really think one that talks and sings will teach her more than one with basic tactile and small motor activities. I don't mean to knock anyone or any particular toys, but I'm just curious as to whether others share my view. Am I missing something here? Are electronic learning toys "the thing" now? Maybe I'm hopelessly "out!"

egoldber
10-25-2003, 09:01 PM
I am SOOOOO with you! I scoured the aisles at Target and TRU the other day searching for toys that did not make noise and I was practically in despair. The kicker was that I picked up the TRU holiday "magazine" and ALL the toys sing and dance or talk or do something. I was in BRU the other day buying a baby gift for someone, and I was shocked at how much of the baby toy aisles are now given over to all the LeapPad family of products.

DD has NO activity table. No talking toys. I do have the FP barn that makes the animal noises, but in retrospect, I wouldn't have bought that either. Frankly, the noises give me a headache. And I just don't see the need for either the noises or spending the extra money. But apparently, we're in the minority, because SOMEONE is buying all these toys or they wouldn't keep making them!

On the other hand, DD probably has more videos than she really need too, so I guess everybody has their thing.

elvisfan
10-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Odd? I think it's awesome.............

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2003, 10:44 AM
I don't think it is odd at all. I bought the simple stacking rings for Logan. I just wanted to be plain and simple, and there are all these lights flashing and electronic sounds now.

I want her to get a sense of accomplishment that is internal, not bells and whistles. When she puts the ring on the stack, I want her to feel proud inside for doing it. Lights flashing and sounds going off is overkill for such an accomplishment. Simple pleasures are the best.

I am also concerned about the fake sounds. How can they learn about physics when the sounds are not right. There is a ball that makes different noises as it rolls. It has little balls that roll around inside of it. I am concerned that all those noises do not represent reality. I'd rather she learn about the real world around her, not a virtual or fake world. When you shake a plastic ball that has another plastic ball inside it, it makes a soft rattling sound, not some multi-pitched "whoopwhoop" sound. It's just not right.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

vikivoly
10-26-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm more into the simple old-fashioned toys also. But, I try to have a balanced combination between the two. DD seems to like both.

Jenmv
10-26-2003, 05:17 PM
If you're out than so am I!

I think all of the bells and whistles add up to a lot of overkill. Personally I think the interest in the noise wears off when EVERYTHING makes noise. Its too predictable and so far I've noticed that DD is far more interested in getting into stuff around the house than any fancy toy anyways. :-) I'm not banning noisy toys in my house outright but I'll choose the silent ones first. I guess it depends on the toy too. If you have a cow that moos that makes sense, but do you really need a ball that lights up and makes all kind of wierd noises when it is rolled. I'm thinking of a really annoying V-Tech ball that someone gave us. I don't even bother giving it to her to play with.

JP4
10-26-2003, 06:39 PM
I think that *some* electronic toys are fun, but I'm also disturbed by the fact that every toy seems to have lights and sounds now. I want to get my son some FP Little People toys and discovered that even these have sounds now. Can't little kids make their own animal sounds anymore? That's half the fun! I also saw that classics like the FP "popper toy" has electronics (a friend gave me the regular version and my son loves it) and even the Sit n Spin and stacking rings toys aren't safe. But, now that I've agreed with you, I have to say that the Leap Frog Activity table is one of my sons favorite toys. Fortunately the music and singing on this table isn't really loud and annoying like many other electronic toys I've seen and owned!

pamela mom of 3
10-26-2003, 06:42 PM
I don't think it's odd, IMO they have their place to a certain extent for instance the leap pads are excellent learning tools plus some of the thomas/brio toys have some electronic do-dads which is ok, i think the point that is important is that they do not overtake the creative ability of the children..for instance i don't think a bubbling pot is needed with a play kitchen...a few bells and such on a fire truck is ok etc.

I think as long they don't over run the bulk of the toy choices for kids then you should be fine..

:) JMO
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

muskiesusan
10-26-2003, 08:00 PM
I don't care for them either and it drives me nuts that they are the bulk of the toy industry. I think they wear off on the appeal quicker than the non-electronic toys. I don't buy any toys that make noise, not that I am totally opposed to them, I just know that well meaning friends/relatives will provide plenty (unless asked for ideas, I don't feel like I can send out a notice saying they are banned from the house!).

We have the Little People Farm, and the thing that I hate about it is that its the gates/mud that make the sounds. So each animal has to be in the in right stall to hear the correct sound, and how creative is that? Plus for a while, I think Nick thought mud oinked!

As for an activity table, go to a consignment shop. I got a Fisher Price one that is about 8 years old without any sounds, and Nick still plays with it.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

C99
10-26-2003, 09:09 PM
I totally agree! Nate does have a few things that make noise, but we usually just "dance" to the noise. One thing that I really don't understand are the LeapFrog interactive "books." Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the best thing about books using your imagination? I want Nate to learn to love to read for reading's sake -- not because the book literally talks to him!

sntm
10-27-2003, 08:35 AM
one option of course is to take the batteries out. my mom is guaranteed to get something electronic for Jack which we will return or deactivate. his FP stacking rings that make noise scare the bajeezus (how do you spell that???) out of him.

edited to add: that said, i can't wait until he is older and can get myself, I mean, him, a Geo Safari.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

egoldber
10-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Well, leaving batteries out works until they are older, know what a battery door looks like, and they want you to put the batteries in, LOL!!

And its not that I'm against them, I just see no need. Sarah certainly has some, but they were all gifts, so I feel no need to buy them myself, since she gets plenty from other people.

And I agree about the LeapPad stuff. I just don't get the whole talking, interactive book thing. Again, we have some (gifts), but she much prefers "regular" books, for which I am very grateful.

muskiesusan
10-27-2003, 12:09 PM
The non-use of batteries doesn't work here anymore either! Now Nick just walks around saying broke, and pointing to the battery door!

Now the toys that bug me the most just kind of disappear into the night and reappear when I need him to be distracted with something "new".

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

LucyG
10-27-2003, 02:32 PM
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not in the total minority on this one! I think a lot of my frustration with electronic toys comes from the fact that I'm a teacher, and the vast majority of my students (elementary) have developed such an affinity/addiction to the things that they no longer are willing to think and be creative on their own. "What, you mean my math book won't read or sing the problems to me??? I actually have to read and solve them myself?? You want me to what - write a story?" Those examples are a bit much, of course, but you get the idea.

DD has a TON of books, and I would so much rather spend money on those than on other "state of the art" toys. Again, I am not looking to hurt any feelings, but I was glad to see that others share my view about toys.

Bethann31
10-27-2003, 04:25 PM
It is interesting that I picked up on this thread today. I was just in talking to my son's 3rd grade teacher, who is doing some research for her master's degree on ways to help children learn math. She has two groups, the "technology" group and the "lecture" group in her class. They are learning multiplication facts and her theory was that the tech group would learn much faster, due to all the music, lights, computer programs, etc. What she has discovered, however, is that the children who are learning by rote and with pencil and paper are actually learning much faster and with better recall later. Thank goodness my son is in this group. I definitely think there is a place for all the electronic "gizmos" and with 4 children ranging in age from 13 to 4.5 months, I have definitely bought my share, but nothing will replace good old fashioned teaching and exploring when learning new things both in school and at home.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

pamela mom of 3
10-28-2003, 10:02 PM
On the leap pad books etc....they are interactive books that do more than just read the story, their are games, songs etc..i know of what you mean in regards to "normal" books but these we have not found to stop the childrens desire to read the non leap pad books....

It's funny my children never have them read the story they choose to use the games and songs features...we also have one of the new FP touch pad ones very similar too the leap pad and we have the i spy book for it..plays the game of " i spy" with them.

Hopefully i described all this right, our kids really enjoy the ones we have and have gained skills with using them also :)
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3