PDA

View Full Version : Which bathtub to keep? Buy different one?

llcoddington
10-28-2003, 12:08 AM
I have received the Safety 1st fold up bathtub and a Safety 1st Bath Cradle as shower gifts. The bathtub is too big for my kitchen sink and the cradle just barely fits over the kitchen sink. The cradle would be completely out of the water- wouldn't baby be cold? Should I return them and get something like the Eurobath? Would the Eurobath work on the counter in the kitchen? Is it too tall to comfortably reach over on the kitchen counter? I am 5'7. I just don't want to be bending over our bathtub for as long as possible. Thanks!!!

heidi_timms
10-28-2003, 02:14 AM
I gave sponge baths next to the kitchen sink for the first montha and would hold her hair under the water to wash and rinse it. DD just loved having her hair under the faucet for some reason!

We now use the Eurobath in the bathtub and honestly, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to wash the baby and wash her hair-not much real estate there to be washed. I don't feel like I'm bending over that long, plus it's easy to dump the water right into the bathtub when I'm done with her bath.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

sarsah
10-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Except for the first few baths for DS#1 (now 3 1/2), I have always used the baby bathtub in the regular bathtub and not the kitchen sink. I have two boys and the first time I used the infant bathtub in the kitchen sink, DS "christened" the kitchen counter, if you know what I mean, so that was the end of that.

I have a plain old Fisher Price bathtub that I bought at a resale shop for a whopping $3 before DS#1 was born and it works just fine. I did buy one of those large bear shaped sponges for DS#2 because he was smaller than DS#1 and the baby bath seemed so big for him. I am also 5'7 and really have no problem sitting on the floor next to the regular bath tub and bathing DS. It's maybe a 5 minute job.

Sarah.......
Mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

llcoddington
10-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Thank you for your replies! I think I am going to return the fold up tub, buy the Eurobath and have something that will last longer. I guess bending over the bathtub isn't as big a deal as I originally thought!

Lana

momofboys
10-29-2003, 11:41 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I like to go lite on the baby gear. After my first child outgrew his baby tub (it was just a big plastic mini tub - 13 yrs ago) I threw it out & have never looked back. My ds is 4 months old & gets bathed in the kitchen sink or the big tub. When he was a newborn I would pad the sink with a cloth diaper & even wrap it over him as I bathed him to keep him cozy. He has always loved baths. The kitchen counter becomes a nice dressing area after the bath!! When I bathe him in the tub, I fill it quite high so that he is submerged up to his chin & not chilled. I then lean over & hold one hand under him at all times. The deep water makes it unnecessary for me to bend all the way into the tub. He is sorto of "floating" at the top. He loves kicking his feet & "swimming" in the tub. HTH

justlearning
10-29-2003, 12:07 PM
I also have the Eurobath and have been very happy with it. We started using it as soon as his cord fell off, and it makes it so easy to give him a bath because you don't have to use your hands to support him. DS also loves splashing in his tub so it's nice that he's sitting in his own tub with water enough for playing, yet it's much safer (in my opinion, at least) than being bathed in the regular tub.

When DH gives our son a bath, he leans over the tub. I have a bad back and knees, though, so I actually find it more comfortable to sit on the floor and just lean into the tub to bathe him. In our last house, we had a sunken jacuzzi tub that was too deep for me to lean over so I ended up putting the Eurobath into the shower and sat on the floor that way as well.

The biggest drawback of the Eurobath is its size--it's huge!. In our last house, this wasn't a problem but now we're in a small rental house and it's kinda a nuisance to have the tub in our way with no where to put it while we're taking a shower. Still, though, I'm glad we have it even though storing it for the moment is inconvenient.

Edited to say that I'm 5'9", so it may be easier for me to sit on the floor and lean into the tub than others who are shorter.

aliceinwonderland
10-29-2003, 12:32 PM
That's the one I'm registering for too. I have looked at it, and I see the point, but do you ever feel the need to use a little bath matt with it? I guess I have nightmare visions of my little one's bum sliding and their head getting under water. I see the shape would do something to prevent that, if they sat still, but still...
Thanks ladies!

Jen in Chicago
10-29-2003, 02:25 PM
We like our fold up one. I use it in the bathtub. Baths take about 5 minutes, or less. I am 5'6/5" and don't have back issues from using the tub. I honestly don't know what the Eurobath is, but I do know I like how the fold up one fits in the closet (we are SHORT on storage.) In the beginning I used a Munchkin inflatable tub/liner (Target) by itself in the tub. I could easily manage him that way. That thing was priceless to us!

heidi_timms
10-29-2003, 03:56 PM
I have been using the Eurobath for six months and no problems so far. The center "post" that goes between the legs is pretty efficient at keeping DD propped up. I don't use any kind of mat-just one more thing to hang dry or wash. She does kick and splash with her legs, but never slides out. It is big, but I store it in the bathtub of our spare bathroom.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

KUvsOU
10-29-2003, 06:30 PM
My son is 16 months old and we have used the Eurobath since he first could start taking baths. We absolutely love it! We don't use a mat with it either and have had no problems with him sliding. I feel it is really easy to use the Eurobath before they are able to sit up on their own. It is also nice because you can use it for so long unlike some of the other tubs. Luckily, he has his own bathroom so storage has not an issue.

Good luck!

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

justlearning
10-29-2003, 06:34 PM
The first two times we gave him a bath in it, we put a small towel down for him to sit on as some others on here have recommended. It seemed to be a nuisance, though, because the towel would slide around so ever since we haven't used anything in the Eurobath and it's been fine. I've never had a problem with him sliding.

C99
10-29-2003, 09:50 PM
We have the Eurobath and we've used it, hrm...twice? I found it easier to just get in the tub with Nate once we were done with spongebaths. Around 5 months or so, I started putting Nate in the Safety First bath seat by himself, but by that point, I was on the floor with him so much, sitting next to the tub wasn't a huge deal. And as someone else said, you don't have to bend over that much to wash them anyway.