PDA

View Full Version : Best bouncy chair/swing?

aliceinwonderland
10-28-2003, 10:16 PM
I'm all over these boards tonight, as I'm trying to figure my registry out! What boucy chair and swing have worked best for you and your baby? I've heard good things about the "Ocean Wonders" one, any others I should be aware of?

Thank You!!

pamela mom of 3
10-28-2003, 10:26 PM
For bounce chairs we used FP with the last 2 kids, dd #1 one didn't have one :(

For swings all 3 had various model of the graco open top swings..they worked really well and have good features, i see now they are even more done up ;)

:)
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

jennifer13
10-29-2003, 01:25 PM
We love the FP Kick and Play bouncer. DD loved it from the day we came home from the hospital. Until recently we never use the toy bar- too much stimulation. But she would sit comfortably in that chair and it allowed us to eat dinner and take showers. We also received the FP portable swing as a gift, which functions as both seat and swing. She liked that ok, other parents have really loved it. Make sure to get the open top version that they make now, ours is older and has a bar across the top, more inconvenient. We also have the Graco open top swing (we have 3 floors). DD doesn't love the big swing, so if you don't receive one you might want to borrow one to see if your baby likes it before investing $$. Some babies do, some don't.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

pritchettzoo
10-29-2003, 04:56 PM
The Ocean Wonders swing is the only place DD will sleep other than in someone's arms. I like it because it has a two different swinging patterns and because she'll be able to use it longer than the Graco-style of swing because she can't reach the legs of the swing to grab them (not that she's trying yet!). The aquarium-globe thingy is very soothing (DH & I joke that we can't go to sleep without it on any more!), and it's pretty good on batteries considering how often it's on. Ours runs probably 8-10 hours per day and we've replaced the batteries every week to week and a half or so.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

justlearning
10-29-2003, 06:32 PM
We also have been VERY happy with the FP Ocean Acquarium swing that we got. DS seems to be too big already and too strong (he can't reach out and grab things) for the Graco swings that they have in our church nursery but he still could use the FP swing for a lot longer. The batteries also lasted us for 4 months--incredible!

We also really like our FP Kick-n-Play bouncy seat that we have. It's been a favorite of his since birth and it seems that the different features have fascinated him at different stages. For example, the vibrating feature was nice when he was a newborn, then he started really liking the mirror around 2 months or so, and now he really likes to grab the things that dangle down from the toy bar.

Bethann31
10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Katherine really loves her Ocean Wonders Bouncy seat and still "argues" regularly with the little starfish that goes round and round. She still naps in it regularly with one of our daytime sitters. We also have the Graco open top swing that she likes, but only in the morning, and only with dad, and only in a certain spot in the kitchen while he makes coffee...... When I try to use it at any other time, she looks at me like, "you obviously didn't get the memo" and then screams.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

megulis
10-31-2003, 01:41 AM
I am getting a hand me down FP portable swing. Do I also need the FP Kick-n-Bounce or whatever it is called?

hwin708
10-31-2003, 04:54 AM
A bouncer is completely diferent from a swing, so you may very well want both. Some babies only like the swing, some only like the bouncer, some like them both. Actually, I only discovered this difference from these boards, because, honestly, I have never met a child who didn't love both.
If you don't really want to buy a bouncer, my advice would be not to, because its not really necessary. It's more of an added luxury. If your baby hates the swing, go get a bouncer. If your baby likes the swing, but gets bored, and you need some more "mommy" time, get a bouncer.
Personally, I LOVED my bouncer and swing. They were literally lifesavers.

Jen in Chicago
10-31-2003, 09:32 AM
We have a Evenflow hand-me-down swing that is about 2 years old and working great! (it has been used amoung friends for a solid 2 years almost)

For a bouncy seat we have basic one from FP that has a bar with moons and stars on it. Jude has big conversations with the moons and stars and can now grab them as I shower. I have to admit, the music is a bit annoying, so we just us the vibrator part.

At a family event we borrowed the Ocean Aquarium swing and bouncy. He liked them both. I personally think both is a bit overkill with the theme. I do like the line of stuff they have. We could not survive without the Ocean Aquarium in the crib! We know he is awake and ready to play when we hear the music start on the monitor.

I know this sounds vain, but I take lots of pictures of Jude. I like having things that are not too busy. I still don't understand why they don't make a bunch of solid colored things for children, they would photograph so well!

The swing was a big thing for months 1-2.

votre_ami03
10-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Nolan has a FP Kick & Play & he LOVES it! He is only 3 mos, but he laughs at the sparkling lights & music & kicks his little butt off. LOVES it!

His swing is a Graco, 6-speed open top. We have only used the 1st three speeds, but I do like that it plays music & so does he. He does enjoy the swing, but not as much as the bouncy.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

lmariana
11-06-2003, 10:29 AM
We have the Fisher Price Aquarium Bouncer for our son, and he too has loved from day one! We didn't use the bar with the fish on it until he was old enough to realize it was there (around 6 weeks), and now he loves talking to his little fish friends! He doesn't really care for the vibration, so we don't use that. He's almost three mo. old now, and the batteries are still doing well.

Pros: Lightwieght and portable, so you can carry it around the house with ease. (I can carry it into the bathroom when it's mommy's shower time. Since I had a c-section, it was great to have something light enough that I could actually carry on my own.)

Cons: The only complaint I have, is that some of the music sounds "sad." There are a few songs that I just wish I could bypass entirely. But of course, that's just me and I'm sure the baby really doesn't care. :)

I don't have a swing, but I'm looking into buying one. Since he loved the fishies so much, I thought I'd go with the aquarium swing. I also like the fact that it has two different swing directions. He's getting into a phase now where he really loves moving, since I can't carry him around the house all day long, I'm wanting some relief. :)

Best wishes!
Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 12 weeks old

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1224.jpg

McQ
11-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Ditto on the Ocean Wonders swing and Ocean Aquarium in the crib. The swing was a lifesaver for naps!!! DS likes to turn the aquarium on too. It's too funny.

We have the Combi Deluxe Activity Rocker which has been overkill. We don't use it all that much but it does come in handy every once and awhile if I need to take a shower and DH is out and DS is awake.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

starrynight
11-10-2003, 10:26 PM
We have a graco open top swing with 6 speeds and music, I really like it. We haven't tried the 3 higher speeds yet but Eliza is happy enough with the slower 3 :).

We have the fp infant to toddler rocker, I wanted this one instead of a traditional bouncer because I could get more long term use out of it. And also I figured if one of the older kids decided they wanted to "play baby" and sit in it, at least it would hold them and not break. Alex broke the kids II bouncer I had for Daria after he wanted to play baby and sat in it. :( Eliza isn't much of a fan for the vibration but Daria loved the vibration on her bouncy seat. Every kid is different!

zuzu
11-11-2003, 10:03 AM
It is hard to find solid colors in the sea of baby patterns.

Combi makes some solid colored (rather, single colored with a bit of grey) Activity Rockers. We've been really happy with ours. The weight limit is 25 pounds, so we'll be able to use it for a while. It conveneintly collapses for travel, has three or four recline positions, and it's nice to have the vibrating/rocking option.

As for solid colored pack 'n plays, I think J Mason has a few options.

melissa